Sponsored by:

Battery suddenly dead on my 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 09:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,760 Likes on 4,301 Posts

That battery after dropping to 5v will never have proper capacity again. Either the battery or your alternator is the reason you're seeing such a low number when the car is running - should be over 14v. Are you not getting a generator error popping up on the central screen when the car is running?
Old 07-30-2022, 10:04 AM
almico
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
That battery after dropping to 5v will never have proper capacity again. Either the battery or your alternator is the reason you're seeing such a low number when the car is running - should be over 14v. Are you not getting a generator error popping up on the central screen when the car is running?
No generator error. FWIW, battery showed 12.1V this morning and started the car. It seems to be only sitting idle 2-3 days kills it.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by almico
No generator error. FWIW, battery showed 12.1V this morning and started the car. It seems to be only sitting idle 2-3 days kills it.
12.1 is borderline. Should show 12.5-12.8
Old 07-30-2022, 10:56 AM
almico
Instructor

12.1 is borderline. Should show 12.5-12.8
I never had a chance to really charge it up. I had it on the trickle charger which keeps it right around 12.1V. Then I drove if for a few minutes, but not enough to fully charge. When I started it this morning I got 13.9V from the alternator. I guess I'll just have to drive it every day...high maintenance, these gals are!

Oh, and when I pulled it out of the garage and let it idle, I saw a nice 1/8 cup oil slick forming on the driveway coming from the oil filter. Seems to have stopped now. Maybe the pressure release on the oil filter housing?

I love being a Porsche owner!!!
Old 07-30-2022, 11:31 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

You shouldn’t have a problem with your battery dying after not driving it for a few days or even a week or longer. The car goes into sleep mode after a few days to conserve battery. I typically can leave my 997.1S without the battery maintainer on for a week without issue.

You also should not have any oil leaking from your filter housing regardless of the bypass valve.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:47 PM
almico
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
You shouldn’t have a problem with your battery dying after not driving it for a few days or even a week or longer. The car goes into sleep mode after a few days to conserve battery. I typically can leave my 997.1S without the battery maintainer on for a week without issue.

You also should not have any oil leaking from your filter housing regardless of the bypass valve.
And my wife shouldn't be complaining about leaving the seat up or where I take off my shoes, yet here we are. 8^)

Just kidding. No wife, thank heavens.

I'm changing the oil, filter and housing as soon as the car cools a bit. We'll see.

The battery is holding steady with the car off at 12.6V for now. I'm going to check it every few hours and see what happens.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:24 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I just went through this and it was a bad battery. As someone said earlier, you need to run up to a auto parts store and get the battery tested. I had a nice yellow top optima battery less than 4 month old doing this. Got it tested and it was a bad battery.

replaced and haven’t had an issue since.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ry-issues.html

Last edited by jbkusa; 07-30-2022 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:44 PM
almico
Instructor

• I get it. I’m familiar with battery issues. I designed and built a solar power system for my little pop up camper. It monitored charge and discharge current as well as voltage from whatever sun was available. It was able to power a small fridge as well as keep the kids devices going and had battery reserve to endure up to 3 rainy days in a row. It was quite a fun project and taught me a lot about batteries.
  • This battery is 8 months old. It’s also an AGM battery like my solar system. It should be able to take being discharged to 20% or less and still fully recharge.
  • Sure, a new battery will solve the issue temporarily. But if I have throw a new battery in every 8 months,…

If I had to guess defective battery, or electronic issue with a 16 year old car, I’m going with electronic issue for now. We’ll see as I monitor the situation.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I never had a chance to really charge it up. I had it on the trickle charger which keeps it right around 12.1V. Then I drove if for a few minutes, but not enough to fully charge. When I started it this morning I got 13.9V from the alternator. I guess I'll just have to drive it every day...high maintenance, these gals are!

Oh, and when I pulled it out of the garage and let it idle, I saw a nice 1/8 cup oil slick forming on the driveway coming from the oil filter. Seems to have stopped now. Maybe the pressure release on the oil filter housing?

I love being a Porsche owner!!!
The pressure valece on the oil filter allows oil to bypass the filter not exit the system. You have another issue.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:00 PM
almico
Instructor

The pressure valece on the oil filter allows oil to bypass the filter not exit the system. You have another issue.
ok. I just saw what appeared to be an outlet on the bottom of the filter and assumed. Im a coffee roaster and work a lot with espresso machines which have both over pressure valves as well as anti-vacuum valves.

i just didn’t understand why I would not have more than a tiny drip from the filter housing and then suddenly a dump of a few ounces.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

ok. I just saw what appeared to be an outlet on the bottom of the filter and assumed. Im a coffee roaster and work a lot with espresso machines which have both over pressure valves as well as anti-vacuum valves.

i just didn’t understand why I would not have more than a tiny drip from the filter housing and then suddenly a dump of a few ounces.
very possible this is a crack that leaks when under pressure. If it's on the lead edge of the filter as the car goes down the road, you may have run over something and fractured it. This is one reason why I use the spin on filter adapter and a metal canister filter.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:51 PM
almico
Instructor

very possible this is a crack that leaks when under pressure. If it's on the lead edge of the filter as the car goes down the road, you may have run over something and fractured it. This is one reason why I use the spin on filter adapter and a metal canister filter.
I wiped down the filter housing when I got back from the wheel swap. I can't see a crack, but it's very possible one would open under pressure and then close. It's pretty heavy plastic and not very pliable to try and recreate it. The good news is the new housing is not leaking at all and my garage is dry again.

As far as the wheel swap, here are the old lobster claw;

And the new ones. Porsche wheels from another 997. I'm thinking of painting them blue to match the top and interior. Either way, they'll be a lot easier to keep clean than the lobster claws with all those nooks and crannies. I think I'll keep them for winter tires.

Last edited by almico; 07-30-2022 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:41 PM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 38 Posts

I usually go 5-7 days between starting my 997.1 no issue.

I did leave the parking lights on all night last week and it was nearly dead, so I jumped it with my other car and drove it 30 minutes and it was fine. That night I put it on the CTek and 2 bars were low, but in morning it was full charge and took it off. No issues since. The battery is 2 years old, i just bought the car 45 days ago, the seller gave me the CTek, as only used the car monthly, not weekly.

Previous owner also had the spin off adapter and filter too, which is so nice and easy to change oil. The seller also had a LN Magnetic Oil Plug too, which is nice to have a 60K mile motor, after a 4K mile trip in the car from sellers home in Oregon to my home in North Carolina, the oil plug had no metal particles ,and I cut the filter open too, it was fine. Nice piece of mind as a new owner of 997.1, which is known for bore cylinder issues.

I would suggest you change your oil asap, to start fresh, and again in 2-3K miles with a magnetic plug, just to be sure all well.

I am about to powder coat my same wheels you just added. Think I am going with a Satin Char/black, as my car is Slate Gray...w/black top. I dont know if navy wheels would be ideal on a 911 for resale, but its your baby, have fun.

Last edited by IrishWhiskey; 07-31-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IrishWhiskey

I usually go 5-7 days between starting my 997.1 no issue.

I did leave the parking lights on all night last week and it was nearly dead, so I jumped it with my other car and drove it 30 minutes and it was fine. That night I put it on the CTek and 2 bars were low, but in morning it was full charge and took it off. No issues since. The battery is 2 years old, i just bought the car 45 days ago, the seller gave me the CTek, as only used the car monthly, not weekly.

Previous owner also had the spin off adapter and filter too, which is so nice and easy to change oil. The seller also had a LN Magnetic Oil Plug too, which is nice to have a 60K mile motor, after a 4K mile trip in the car from sellers home in Oregon to my home in North Carolina, the oil plug had no metal particles ,and I cut the filter open too, it was fine. Nice piece of mind as a new owner of 997.1, which is known for bore cylinder issues.

I would suggest you change your oil asap, to start fresh, and again in 2-3K miles with a magnetic plug, just to be sure all well.

I am about to powder coat my same wheels you just added. Think I am going with a Satin Char/black, as my car is Slate Gray...w/black top. I dont know if navy wheels would be ideal on a 911 for resale, but its your baby, have fun.
As a point of information, that magnetic plug won't pick up anything related to bore scoring because the cylinder walls and the pistons are aluminum, which is not magnetic. The plug will only get metal particles from the ferrous ball bearings in the IMS bearing or from wear from the engine bearings where copper and iron show up, but those are usually very small particles that would look like black dust on the tip of the magnet
The following users liked this post:
IrishWhiskey (08-01-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 09:36 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Public Service announcement: Please vacuum your center council trim, it looks like you have bits of gunk all in the crevasses.

Quick Reply: Battery suddenly dead on my 997.1