997.2 S or 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 06:53 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 276 Posts

Here's my 2 cents!!
The following 3 users liked this post by TommyV44:
7 treasures (08-01-2022), 911desire (07-21-2022), Ob917 (07-27-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 05:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 911desire
I'm in the market to buy a 997.2 convertible very soon and narrowed down what I want. However, the one question I have is should I get the S or 4S. Does it matter? I live in PA but the car will not be a daily and most likely not come out of the garage during the winter season either. So, does the 4S matter?
Does the AWD system on the 997.2 have issues that need to be addressed? Are there components of that system that are prone to break? Does the car drive differently with or without it? I will not be tracking the car at all.
I've read some reports the 4S is wider than the S but other reports say they are the same. Which is it?
Also, are there any differences between 2009, 2010, 2011 years in terms of quality or reliability, changes made between the years?
Oh, and a manual trans is a must too.
Any other information would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
I've owned both a 997.1 C4S and a 997.2 C4S. No issues I'm aware of or have heard of in terms of problems with the AWD configuration. Adds some weight to the car but probably not enough where it would be noticeable to most drivers. In a RWD GTS now and I would say that the biggest difference between the AWD and the RWD is the steering wheel feel. More precise in the RWD GTS and I would assume the same in a C2 or C2S. Just less of a fingertip feedback in the AWD's.

As for your question about the width of the 997 cars, the "S" has nothing to do with it. The "4" does though. Anything with a 4 in it being a .1 or .2 car will be a widebody and all wheel drive. Add the Turbo to that even though there's no 4 in its designation. The difference between a narrowbody and a widebody is around 1.75" on the tail I believe. Doesn't sound like much but most agree it's very noticeable.

Not sure about the 991 and 992 but the only way to get a widebody 997 with RWD is a GTS or get into a whole different price range like the GT3 RS, GT2 and a few others in the same price range.
The following users liked this post:
911desire (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 10:18 AM
911desire
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Everyone: I appreciate all the input. Received many comments and things to ponder.
I won't be driving the car to the limit (I say that now) and have no idea what a purist vehicle is to drive like (my current daily is a mini-van). I like the wide body look and will concentrate my search for the 4/4S; leaning to the latter more esp since the pricing between the 2 are similar enough.
It appears that about 7600 997.2 C4S were manufactured and I read about 20-30% of them are manual, so my search will be long for the right one. Does anyone know the breakdown on % in available colors? How many made in silver, black...etc?

If anyone has a lead to a good candidate, please reach out. Higher mileage doesn't scare me as long as the maintenance was performed.
@qikqbn - thanks for the links.
@Nate R - do you preference the PDK or MT?
@TommyV44 - that color is amazing!

Last edited by 911desire; 07-21-2022 at 10:35 AM. Reason: updated with more comments
TommyV44 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 11:31 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 394 Posts

To Everyone: I appreciate all the input. Received many comments and things to ponder.
I won't be driving the car to the limit (I say that now) and have no idea what a purist vehicle is to drive like (my current daily is a mini-van). I like the wide body look and will concentrate my search for the 4/4S; leaning to the latter more esp since the pricing between the 2 are similar enough.
It appears that about 7600 997.2 C4S were manufactured and I read about 20-30% of them are manual, so my search will be long for the right one. Does anyone know the breakdown on % in available colors? How many made in silver, black...etc?

If anyone has a lead to a good candidate, please reach out. Higher mileage doesn't scare me as long as the maintenance was performed.
@qikqbn - thanks for the links.
@Nate R - do you preference the PDK or MT?
@TommyV44 - that color is amazing!
Well you have to remember. Everytime you go in your garage there it is. Everytime you get out walk away and turn around to look, there it is. If you really like the WB look, you'll appreciate that everytime you look back. Either way you'll enjoy either car you choose. I really wish I'd picked a WB when I bought mine. Either one will drive much like you mini van only much faster, much more excitement, much better looking, And on a side note. The Carrera is not a chick magnet. Its a dude magnet. When you stop for gas, no girls will flock around it but there will always be some guy/guys wanting to ask qustions and admire it so enjoy whichever you choose.
911desire (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 11:39 AM
911desire
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
Well you have to remember. Everytime you go in your garage there it is. Everytime you get out walk away and turn around to look, there it is. If you really like the WB look, you'll appreciate that everytime you look back. Either way you'll enjoy either car you choose. I really wish I'd picked a WB when I bought mine. Either one will drive much like you mini van only much faster, much more excitement, much better looking, And on a side note. The Carrera is not a chick magnet. Its a dude magnet. When you stop for gas, no girls will flock around it but there will always be some guy/guys wanting to ask qustions and admire it so enjoy whichever you choose.
I laugh at the dude magnet comment. My friend has a 992 Targa 4S and he says the same. Many women don't care and my wife is the same. I told her she could drive it occasionally to work but she just shrugged and wasn't interested. Fine by me - I'll enjoy the smiles per miles each and every time.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:23 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

I laugh at the dude magnet comment. My friend has a 992 Targa 4S and he says the same. Many women don't care and my wife is the same. I told her she could drive it occasionally to work but she just shrugged and wasn't interested. Fine by me - I'll enjoy the smiles per miles each and every time.
Strange…my wife likes my 2S. 😆

Last edited by Carreralicious; 07-21-2022 at 12:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carreralicious:
911desire (07-21-2022), TommyV44 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 04:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

It appears that about 7600 997.2 C4S were manufactured and I read about 20-30% of them are manual, so my search will be long for the right one.

do you preference the PDK or MT?
Sorry to say but your search may be longer than you think. Different sources so who knows who's got it right but I've seen more stories pointing to 10-20% manuals and can't recall any I saw that even approached 30%. Seems like the percentage of PDK vs. manual has increased in favor of the PDK since it was first introduced. A lot of skepticism I guess but as a manual transmission less the third pedal and a whole lot more it has proven itself to be a completely different transmission than the old Tiptronic which would be my guess on why it's grown on skeptical buyers thinking the PDK was just a modern version of the automatic TIP which I think most agree was awful in every respect other than being almost impossible to destroy.

So you may have better luck looking for early 997.2's with a manual rather than a later year car. In other words, look for a manual 2009 C4S rather than a 2012. I think they made some 997.2 C4S's early into 2012 just before the 991 was rolled out.

As for the preference of manual vs. PDK, there must be thousands of threads on this topic here. Keep in mind though that this forum is very heavily skewed towards manual so probably not a good proxy of which one is "better". I would just look at the percentage of manuals vs. PDK produced since the PDK was introduced 2009. Porsche builds what sells and makes them money and the 80% PDK vs. 20% manuals since 2009 says something.
soundbehindyou (07-25-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 08:03 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 276 Posts

Jonas...if they don't build them I can't buy them! If all they build is electric vehicles I guess if I want to drive a Porsche I'd have to buy one right?

Car companies, Porsche included, can make you drive whatever they want. They long ago stopped worrying about what their customers wanted or they wouldn't have built the last 2 models.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:47 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 694 Likes on 419 Posts

If you find manual S before 4S pull trigger. Don’t spend year to two waiting for “the” one. The more requirements you have, eg color, the longer you’ll look. If find S first, enjoy it and keep looking for 4S. When find right one sell S, you’ll prob not come out upside down on S by much if any. Life is short, get one and enjoy.
911desire (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 01:42 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 393 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
If you find manual S before 4S pull trigger. Don’t spend year to two waiting for “the” one. The more requirements you have, eg color, the longer you’ll look. If find S first, enjoy it and keep looking for 4S. When find right one sell S, you’ll prob not come out upside down on S by much if any. Life is short, get one and enjoy.
100%. It’s what I did. After owning both I would be fine with an S or 4s in the 997.2 Gen. Couldn’t do a non S because I would always look at an S and be jealous, even though difference is minimal. Plus the red calipers and quad exhaust just fit the car better.

997.1 is a great car, just prefer no IMS and updated interior. I would only buy a car with full leather, should have came that way from the factory standard. PSE is a nice addition but with fiskers easily added later.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:00 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Jonas...if they don't build them I can't buy them! If all they build is electric vehicles I guess if I want to drive a Porsche I'd have to buy one right?

Car companies, Porsche included, can make you drive whatever they want. They long ago stopped worrying about what their customers wanted or they wouldn't have built the last 2 models.
No argument there Tommy except a lot of cars are sold to customers who walk into the dealership and tell them what they want. New from the factory or whatever they have on the used car lot. I guess I have a hard time with the idea that Porsche has refused to build manuals in greater numbers than they have since 2009 if the demand was there. Sure, the PDK cars are more expensive but they also cost more to build.

I have to think that Porsche in Germany gets feedback from dealerships around the world as to what sells and what doesn't sell. What customers are asking for and what they don't have available. If there was a strong demand for manuals that's not being met by what Porsche has been building, why haven't they ramped up the production of manuals? They want to sell cars so you build what's selling. Again, it's been 14 years now so you'd think they would have a good idea of what the marketplace is asking for and they've produced cars pretty consistently at around 80% PDK and 20% manuals since 2009. Has to be a reason since I bet their profit margin is the same for both transmission configurations.

To repeat. Neither Ferrari or Lambo offer manuals since years back due to lack of demand. Not even an option no matter how deep your pockets. Might give us an idea of why so few manual 911's are available these days. "The trend is your friend"
The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
elwademd (07-27-2022), TommyV44 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 03:16 AM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

Name:  photo787.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  2.46 MB

4S 6-Spd manual, PaSM, PSE...and add DCS, PS4S tires, CarPlay,

Last edited by Greg2010; 07-25-2022 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:29 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I’d wait for a C4S if that’s what you want. The looks are very different.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:26 PM
Kineticdg
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 103 Posts

I think a 997 C2 is a wide body car design, it’s just that the 4WD cars are wider-body. I never look at my C2S and think “wow, that’s so thin in back”. It has hips & presence, just not as dramatically as the wide-body cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kineticdg:
elwademd (07-27-2022), Ob917 (07-27-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 08:34 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Kineticdg
I think a 997 C2 is a wide body car design, it’s just that the 4WD cars are wider-body. I never look at my C2S and think “wow, that’s so thin in back”. It has hips & presence, just not as dramatically as the wide-body cars.
True…the rear wheel drive models still have plenty of hips…

Kineticdg (07-27-2022)

Quick Reply: 997.2 S or 4S?