Side mirror movement on unlock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 03:13 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Side mirror movement on unlock?

Hey all,

Ive noticed an issue recently that when I unlock my car the passenger side mirror will move (way out to the far right). I thought most likley this was based on the key memory programming. As for some reason I just always used key 2. I grabbed key 1 and programmed everything (all three positions to the same position). I noticed it still will once in awhile move the mirror on unlock. I have tried leaving the mirror control in different positions (I typically leave it in the middle position).

Any ideas?
Old 07-11-2022, 11:23 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks
Hey all,

Ive noticed an issue recently that when I unlock my car the passenger side mirror will move (way out to the far right). I thought most likley this was based on the key memory programming. As for some reason I just always used key 2. I grabbed key 1 and programmed everything (all three positions to the same position). I noticed it still will once in awhile move the mirror on unlock. I have tried leaving the mirror control in different positions (I typically leave it in the middle position).

Any ideas?
I am happy to read this. I have the same unexplained phenomenon. However, I was able to solve it by locking the car in such a way that the interior monitoring and other power-hungry aggregates are switched off. You press the fob twice briefly one after the other. This is acknowledged by a long flash instead of twice briefly. then there is peace with the mirror. It only solves the symptom but that's enough for me in this case. ;-)
Old 07-11-2022, 02:44 PM
NoTurboRequired
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check if the mirror adjustment selector is set to right side. Flip it to the middle if not. Control if the movement stops.
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (08-02-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 05:37 PM
eaks
Racer

I will try the couple lock trick. It is very odd tho as it doesn't move if I drive the car within a day or 2.. If the car sits for a week then I notice the mirror move.. But I'll try the double lock trick.. I also leave my frunk popped and hooked to a tender pretty much all the time when I know it may sit for more than a couple days
The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (07-17-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 12:48 PM
eaks
Racer

Well car sat for a couple weeks while I was out of town for work and came home and the mirror didn't move on unlock this time (after the 2nd lock).. There has to be a reason why this is happening and a way to fix it.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:13 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Well car sat for a couple weeks while I was out of town for work and came home and the mirror didn't move on unlock this time (after the 2nd lock).. There has to be a reason why this is happening and a way to fix it.
I would appreciate it if the cause could be found, i have given up and use the double lock trick, also for energy and battery life reasons.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:44 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

2009 C2S 181K miles

A coupla things. First, the mirrors are programed to the key. Reset the seat/mirror memory for that key. I forget how... start your car, and set up your mirrors and seat etc... then hit the Key memory button on your door and hold it until it beeps. Read your manual for this as I may have forgotten something.

Your side mirror adjustment switch, the one high on the door, check to which mirror it is set to... left, null, right. When it is in the right position, your passenger mirror will behave differently when you put the car into reverse... something to check out.

This is how the .2 car works, I think the .1 is the same.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-01-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:41 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 181K miles

A coupla things. First, the mirrors are programed to the key. Reset the seat/mirror memory for that key. I forget how... start your car, and set up your mirrors and seat etc... then hit the Key memory button on your door and hold it until it beeps. Read your manual for this as I may have forgotten something.

Your side mirror adjustment switch, the one high on the door, check to which mirror it is set to... left, null, right. When it is in the right position, your passenger mirror will behave differently when you put the car into reverse... something to check out.

This is how the .2 car works, I think the .1 is the same.

Peace
Thanks Bruce, that's all clear and tried several times. No error codes. The problem is that after a time of not using of the car, the mirror moves erratically after unlocking. Sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes not at all. The only thing that helps is double-closing. And since i always do that anyway because of the battery, it doesn't bother me anymore. It's weird.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:27 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

Maybe unhook your battery for a few days.... just a shot.

Peace
Old 08-02-2022, 12:01 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 405 Likes on 285 Posts

Programming as such is not a perfect science on the 997 - and since my 2006 C4s did not come equipped with the key programming module on the drivers door (for whatever reason ?? go figure ? ) I found that the best and only way I can program the seat and mirrors to my liking without having to go to the dealer every time for programming would be by using my Foxwell NT520...... I can set key 1 &2 the way I want them and my memory preferences are stored permanently.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:58 PM
eaks
Racer

What menu is this in? I have a high end autel unit that does plenty of programming and I also have a PIWIS unit.. Maybe I can try and program everything the way it is to key 1 and key 2 and see if the problem still exists
Old 08-03-2022, 01:06 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 271 Posts

My guess is the position sensor in the mirror is messed up. Key #1 is linked to button #1 in the seat memory: when you unlock the car it adjusts the seats and mirrors. If the sensor is faulty then it thinks the mirror is in the wrong place and moves it.

I had a similar problem with my lumbar support, where it would fully inflate the support. My fix was to clear the seat memory, leave #1 blank, and program my seat & mirror positions in #3. That way it doesn't auto-adjust when I unlock the car, but I can still get the position back by manually hitting the button if it gets moved.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:39 AM
eaks
Racer

This wouldn't bother me at all clearing all the seat memory as I am the only one who ever drives my car. Is there a procedure for clearing the seat memory? I will check my manual but read some conflicting information online that seemed confusing.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2022, 12:32 PM
8x57IRS
Racer

This wouldn't bother me at all clearing all the seat memory as I am the only one who ever drives my car. Is there a procedure for clearing the seat memory? I will check my manual but read some conflicting information online that seemed confusing.

Thanks
For MK1:
1. Switch on the ignition with the vehicle key (you want to delete).
2. Press the memory key twice and key 1 once in succession.

Old 08-03-2022, 12:36 PM
jeffc2731
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't know about pressing the key fob twice & long flash procedure. How exactly does it differ from the usual one press - what's activated and what's not?

Quick Reply: Side mirror movement on unlock?