Sponsored by:

My PDK just died, no gears.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 05:29 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
Default My PDK just died, no gears.

My 09 997S with 63K miles just Flashed a RED PDK TEMPERATURE TOO HIGH, RUN in traffic on highway. Had to stop in traffic and no gear available after resuming . Pushed to side of road and towed to dealer.
hope my Fidelity warranty is good for this.
bizarre….anyone else have this problem and what was the resolution?
Old 06-18-2022, 06:47 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

This is my nightmare… I don’t have a fidelity warranty!

after the car/transmission cooled did you try again?
Old 06-18-2022, 09:14 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
RED PDK TEMPERATURE TOO HIGH
See https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15747854

Which Fidelity warranty do you have (Powertrain, Gold or Platinum)?

Shouldn't be an issue with Platinum, but please keep us posted.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:13 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Could just be the temp sensor hopefully, these were known to go bad particularly in the early PDKs.

I can't think of anything catastrophic that would cause the temp to spike short of the pump failing. If that happened it would be a first to my knowledge, plus you would have gotten a pressure fault prior to the temp fault I think. Please post the codes the dealer reads back.

Read my PDK repair thread and skip down to the temp sensor section for details. There's also a PDF attached at the bottom of the main post, the second attachment details the temp sensor repair/replacement procedure. Parts are cheap (<$50) but a dealer will likely put the screws to you on labor (thousands from what I've heard, highway robbery). If so you might want to consider an indy or DIY.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html
The following users liked this post:
jbkusa (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 10:19 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
Could just be the temp sensor hopefully, these were known to go bad particularly in the early PDKs.

I can't think of anything catastrophic that would cause the temp to spike short of the pump failing. If that happened it would be a first to my knowledge, plus you would have gotten a pressure fault prior to the temp fault I think. Please post the codes the dealer reads back.

Read my PDK repair thread and skip down to the temp sensor section for details. There's also a PDF attached at the bottom of the main post, the second attachment details the temp sensor repair/replacement procedure. Parts are cheap (<$50) but a dealer will likely put the screws to you on labor (thousands from what I've heard, highway robbery). If so you might want to consider an indy or DIY.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html
thanks, will not know till Mon, Tues???will keep you all appraised of the situation….
Old 06-19-2022, 01:08 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 2,965 Posts

^^Hope it's something simple
Old 06-19-2022, 02:52 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Is there a difference between the 09 pdks and the 2010s?? Heard so many horror stories with the 09... personally experienced my friends 09 4s pdk changed 2 times... one on warranty other with goodwill...
Old 06-19-2022, 04:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

My 09 997S with 63K miles just Flashed a RED PDK TEMPERATURE TOO HIGH, RUN in traffic on highway. Had to stop in traffic and no gear available after resuming . Pushed to side of road and towed to dealer.
bizarre….anyone else have this problem and what was the resolution?
First I've heard of this PDK warning. Regulars here must be tired of of hearing about my 2 PDK failures but they both were announced with "Emergency Transmission Run" rather than the TEMPERATURE TOO HIGH, RUN. Never heard of that one. Hopefully just a glitch. What kind of Fidelity coverage do you have? I had Platinum on both failures and both were replaced with just the deductible out of pocket.

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Is there a difference between the 09 pdks and the 2010s?? Heard so many horror stories with the 09... personally experienced my friends 09 4s pdk changed 2 times... one on warranty other with goodwill...
Not sure but have my doubts. I had the same PDK failures on my 2009 C4S as as on my current 2011 GTS. Both failures traced to the distance sensor so they've had years to improve on what's obviously a fragile component and it doesn't seem like they've made much progress. Anyone draw their own conclusions.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

Stop and go traffic? We just discussed this the other day and I can see the clutches slipping to keep getting the car moving as generating a fair amount of heat. Most of the PDK warnings and failures I e read about seem to be heat and sensor related and not mechanical.. There's a guy in the Macan forum dealing with a similar warning and PDK failure right now. I know the Macan uses a different version of the PDK but his is a temperature failure.related message as well.

Good luck and glad you have Fidelity. If I wanted a PDK, don't think I'd own one without a warranty.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:17 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Stop and go traffic? We just discussed this the other day and I can see the clutches slipping to keep getting the car moving as generating a fair amount of heat. Most of the PDK warnings and failures I e read about seem to be heat and sensor related and not mechanical.. There's a guy in the Macan forum dealing with a similar warning and PDK failure right now. I know the Macan uses a different version of the PDK but his is a temperature failure.related message as well.

Good luck and glad you have Fidelity. If I wanted a PDK, don't think I'd own one without a warranty.
so if you need to drive in stop-and-go traffic the manual is the way to go.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfischet
so if you need to drive in stop-and-go traffic the manual is the way to go.
Actually a torque converter automatic (Tiptronic) is the way to go if that's what you face frequently
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
jfischet (06-19-2022), sandwedge (06-22-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 07:14 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914

was just told they believe it was the PDK temperature sensor and it will be replaced by the Dealer.
was told by Fidelity, it will be covered, otherwise the Quote to me was $2K.
the PDK transmission oil needed changing anyway. Had done the Clutch oil before with a new pan.
wish me luck!!

Last edited by larrytrk; 06-20-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

was just told they believe it was the PDK temperature sensor and it will be replaced by the Dealer.
the PDK transmission oil needed changing anyway. Had done the Clutch oil before with a new pan.
wish me luck!!
Not surprised with the component failure and glad you'll be covered. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:25 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

That’s great news… happy ending!!!
Old 06-20-2022, 10:31 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

wish me luck!!
That's good news on Fidelity.

Which Fidelity warranty do you have (Powertrain, Gold or Platinum)?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: My PDK just died, no gears.