Sponsored by:

PIWIS III unintended carnage and Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 11:52 AM
advrider1967
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PIWIS III unintended carnage and Q

So- yesterday I changed all the oils as well as the pan/filter in my PDK. I used the fill feature of PIWIS III V40 and it all went 100% well. After a spirited drive I decided to "readapt" the PDK. I made the MONUMENTAL bone head mistake of selecting "adapt after component replacement" (vs the option of no component replacement). It appears as if the PIWIS III tried to reach out to the mothership for SW, but only after sending a command to erase the PDK EEPROM. I have quite successfully "bricked" my PDK. Gear lever will not come out of P, when I try and start the car, it wont even crank, asking me to "Put Gear Selector in P or N".

Fault codes now show "control unit is not programmed" under the PDK menu, as well as various CAN comm issues, which all makes sense.

The question: I assume that if I drag this hunk of metal to the dealer they can reprogram the PDK ECU?

Last edited by advrider1967; 06-17-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:10 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by advrider1967
So- yesterday I changed all the oils as well as the pan/filter in my PDK. I used the fill feature of PIWIS III V40 and it all went 100% well. After a spirited drive I decided to "readapt" the PDK. I made the MONUMENTAL bone head mistake of selecting "adapt after component replacement" (vs the option of no component replacement). It appears as if the PIWIS III tried to reach out to the mothership for SW, but only after sending a command to erase the PDK EEPROM. I have quite successfully "bricked" my PDK.

Fault codes now show "control unit is not programmed" under the PDK menu, as well as various CAN comm issues, which all makes sense.

The question: I assume that if I drag this hunk of metal to the dealer they can reprogram the PDK ECU?
Several people have successfully used "adapt after component replacement" with a PIWIS2, it's discussed in the PDK repair thread comments. I have not done it myself but I specifically asked @amet about this (who owns a shop in the UAE and has done it himself) and he said the PIWIS2 has the default software in it. He told me his was a clone and it was not connected to mother Porsche. There's screen shots of it posted somewhere in the sixty pages of comments on that thread.

This is speculation but perhaps the PIWIS2 has it stored locally but Porsche removed it for the PIWIS3. You might want to reach out to @amet and see what he thinks. I'd try and find someone with a PIWIS2 before taking it to the dealer, what do you have to lose? I'm sure the dealer could fix it though they may want to replace the TCU and start from scratch.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:31 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Originally Posted by PV997
Several people have successfully used "adapt after component replacement" with a PIWIS2, it's discussed in the PDK repair thread comments. I have not done it myself but I specifically asked @amet about this (who owns a shop in the UAE and has done it himself) and he said the PIWIS2 has the default software in it. He told me his was a clone and it was not connected to mother Porsche. There's screen shots of it posted somewhere in the sixty pages of comments on that thread.

This is speculation but perhaps the PIWIS2 has it stored locally but Porsche removed it for the PIWIS3. You might want to reach out to @amet and see what he thinks. I'd try and find someone with a PIWIS2 before taking it to the dealer, what do you have to lose? I'm sure the dealer could fix it though they may want to replace the TCU and start from scratch.
Thanks for the reply! This all makes sense, given the amount of "features" that seem to come and go from PIWIS SW as revs come and go. I no longer have a 2, BUT... I do have a very good relationship with the local P dealer staff. It will be easier to try that avenue vs finding a 2. It will also get me the newest SW in the PDK (no idea what I had in there, but if I used an old 2 I'd probably get legacy SW).
Old 06-17-2022, 07:25 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Originally Posted by PV997

I found the "programming" process/menus in PIWIS 3. I can select either "program with customer complaint" or "program". Using either the machine attempts to load "TO82_Program" SW but fails with zero % progress, with a "11070: Timeout during communication with control unit". Then, after some seconds, a "Fault memory could not be erased" pops up, and that's all she wrote.

All the other codes in the car are CAN comm faults with the PDK ECU.

I can get a new PDK ECU for very good price, would it work out of the box or do they need a PIWIS connected to the P mothership?

My car is bricked, in a lift at my shop

Last edited by advrider1967; 06-17-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,764 Likes on 4,304 Posts

As a wild shot, have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes to clear the memory and seeing if anything is different, even before hooking the piwis back up?
Old 06-18-2022, 03:58 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
As a wild shot, have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes to clear the memory and seeing if anything is different, even before hooking the piwis back up?
I have, a dealer tech suggested that- no help. I had them try and reprogram it with a OE PIWIS, and while the programming was "accepted" all faults are still active and present = car still bricked. New PDK ECU in 2 days.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:40 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 296 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by advrider1967
I have, a dealer tech suggested that- no help. I had them try and reprogram it with a OE PIWIS, and while the programming was "accepted" all faults are still active and present = car still bricked. New PDK ECU in 2 days.
Where are you located?
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 06-19-2022, 05:43 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Colorado Springs
Old 06-20-2022, 02:58 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Try manually program it in Engineering mode. Program without rule.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:15 AM
advrider1967
Advanced

Originally Posted by rnlst_log
Try manually program it in Engineering mode. Program without rule.
Ive configured the PIWIS3 to E mode, and can get to the menu you described. There are numerous "entries" I can select. Which one(s) should I be trying?
Old 06-20-2022, 11:17 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Manual programming in development.
Select:​​​​
The entry that has your part number.
Can you still read the module's part number?
That will help you.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:25 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

New PDK ECU installed, and it fired right up. Part number was superseded:

OE box: Siemens VDO 997 618 270 22
New Box: Continental 997 618 270 40

I wont have time to get it off dollies and out of the corner until next week to see how it drives, but at least it's alive again.

I have subsequently found out this is a "quite common" occurrence, according to a Porsche tech in Germany whose opinion I have no reason to doubt. I was told this old box can be bench flashed with the right tools and be brought back to life. I simply didn't have the time or inclination to hassle with that.

One interesting observation: I no longer have to press the brake pedal to start the car.

Last edited by advrider1967; 06-23-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:07 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Ok, well it fired up and the PDK selector moves into R N D. HOWEVER: only has 2nd gear and R, numerous coding and comm issues, so it looks like another dealer visit.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

2009 C2S 180K miles

Dang this stuff gets complicated. Did you try hitting it with a BFH? I found I feel real good and every once in a while, just sometimes, you don't break it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 06-29-2022, 12:25 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 180K miles

Dang this stuff gets complicated. Did you try hitting it with a BFH? I found I feel real good and every once in a while, just sometimes, you don't break it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
LOL- no, not yet. Trying to get it into the dealer again may bring that on however

Quick Reply: PIWIS III unintended carnage and Q