Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 C4S values

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 01:07 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

OP - as someone who actively tracks the market and especially look at the 997 market you probably will get the most money on BaT but you will also have to get the good photos and be prepared to answer the peanut gallery on the sales thread (some of the same folks here). Or if you want to do a quicker sale post here or on PCA.org to sell to an enthusiast Porsche buyer. If priced right you’re sell it pretty fast on these 2 platforms. Based on the miles, color, low options, mid 50’s sounds right (northeast USA). Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
ATX_Native (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 01:24 AM
Ed99
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

More and more 997 have bore scoring issues. I was in the market for a 997 and 3 cars I was really interested I had the seller conduct a bore scoring check and all 3 came back with scoring unfortunately this year.

Therefore, I would need to see a bore scoring report wether the seller or buyer pays for it. It is a 100% needed to check because that could save you $25-30K in repairs down the road.

Sorry not trying to ruin this thread and OP you have a beautiful silver 997.1 C4S and good luck in the sale.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:49 AM
repguyMN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
"Sporty" always causes a "fuss" when the Bore Scope Inspection topic comes up.
Probably out of concern for his own engine which I assume has not been Bore Scope Inspected. I can understand the fear or trepidation.
After all, who wants to find out they have a bad heart after visiting doctor? But knowing can help prolong the your life, right? So why not take the plunge?
Bore Scope Inspection really a must at this point when buying a 997 especially cold climate car.

Also IMO a great idea to have done if selling or just so we all know health of our 997 engines and if there are beginning signs of scoring, take the necessary preventative measures(proper oil/limit cold starts/etc)to combat excessive scoring.
My personal experience last year of almost purchasing 2 997S cars, having Bore Scope Inspections as part of PPI and getting horrible results has made me an advocate of BS Inspection.
My 3rd BS Inspection in November 2021 on my 107K Miles 2006 997C4 revealed excellent condition/clean cylinder walls on all 6 cylinders. Real peace of mind/happiness is the result.

what is the typical cost of a BS? I have no reason to suspect mine has any scoring but might be good to have it done prior to listing. I have some shops in town I can check with as well. Just curious.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:52 AM
repguyMN
Racer

Nice car just the same. I never buy tracked cars.
Manual Transmission a great model and someone will appreciate it for sure. Silver the best color
Is it the dark dark Metropol Blue?? If it is that's the same color combo as one of my 996 C4S's years ago. Beautiful dark blue looks almost black.

Personally I'd stick it on RL Marketplace with a $58K price. Should sell asap.
Always good to set a price just a bit lower so it shoots out the door with no BS/Tire kickers/etc. and move on with happy buyer/good vibes.
That's how I have sold the 40 or 50 Porsche's I've sold over 36 years.

Good luck whatever way you go.
Thanks for the nice words and price suggestion! I do really love the car but I just don't have the band width anymore to maintain 3 cars, two houses and a business. I feel guilty seeing it in the garage not being driven. A Macan would be a good compromise plus I can haul grandkids easier
Old 06-14-2022, 10:01 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 300 Posts

Just put it on the market - an educated buyer will probably have a PPI/ BS done anyway.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:17 AM
repguyMN
Racer

Originally Posted by Sporty
To Groove's points: If you are buying a car, I agree 100% that the buyer should have the car scoped on his own dime and during the course of his own PPI. Yes, as a buyer I would feel better if the seller showed me a clean BS report. HOWEVER, even if it was done yesterday I would still insist on having it done for my own piece of mind even if I think the seller is a "nice" guy.

Secondly, you should be taking all the preventive measures REGARDLESS of if you have known scoring or not -CORRECT?

Its somewhat of a conundrum on the sellers side; my car runs perfect, had it since new, burns no oil, no extra soot, or noises, took preventive measures etc. Does it have scoring? I don't know, but as far as I am concerned I believe it doesn't so I am (ignorantly ) happy -something to be said for that I guess. If I were to sell the my car I don't know if it would be for me to say to the seller -hey you know these 997.1s could potentially have B/S and even if you do a PPI on my car now that's not to say it won't develop down the road - that's the conundrum if its not an educated buyer. My solution is that I do not plan on selling mine so I can blissfully enjoy, until I can't or something obvious rears it head.
Anyway, Groove and I are just a couple cranky old (young) men on this topic, would love to argue with him in person over a few or many ....

Anyway good luck with the sale and now you see the "point" , or maybe not... and what I meant by "here we go again..."
Thanks Sporty! Very good response. I have all the same thoughts. I am not one to deceive anyone especially for something I have a passion for. If there were a beverage debate I would definitely want to be part of that
Old 06-14-2022, 10:21 AM
repguyMN
Racer

Originally Posted by wardrive
OP - as someone who actively tracks the market and especially look at the 997 market you probably will get the most money on BaT but you will also have to get the good photos and be prepared to answer the peanut gallery on the sales thread (some of the same folks here). Or if you want to do a quicker sale post here or on PCA.org to sell to an enthusiast Porsche buyer. If priced right you’re sell it pretty fast on these 2 platforms. Based on the miles, color, low options, mid 50’s sounds right (northeast USA). Good luck!
Thanks wardrive! I think between RL, PCA and local club it would move pretty quick. BaT is not my first option but I agree it could work the price up but there is the public scrutiny I would not look forward to. I have seen some comments and they are obviously folks looking attention and not a car.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:22 AM
repguyMN
Racer

Just put it on the market - an educated buyer will probably have a PPI/ BS done anyway.
Thanks Sporty.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,965 Posts

To Groove's points: If you are buying a car, I agree 100% that the buyer should have the car scoped on his own dime and during the course of his own PPI. Yes, as a buyer I would feel better if the seller showed me a clean BS report. HOWEVER, even if it was done yesterday I would still insist on having it done for my own piece of mind even if I think the seller is a "nice" guy.
Secondly, you should be taking all the preventive measures REGARDLESS of if you have known scoring or not -CORRECT?
Its somewhat of a conundrum on the sellers side; my car runs perfect, had it since new, burns no oil, no extra soot, or noises, took preventive measures etc. Does it have scoring? I don't know, but as far as I am concerned I believe it doesn't so I am (ignorantly ) happy -something to be said for that I guess. If I were to sell the my car I don't know if it would be for me to say to the seller -hey you know these 997.1s could potentially have B/S and even if you do a PPI on my car now that's not to say it won't develop down the road - that's the conundrum if its not an educated buyer. My solution is that I do not plan on selling mine so I can blissfully enjoy, until I can't or something obvious rears it head.
Anyway, Groove and I are just a couple cranky old (young) men on this topic, would love to argue with him in person over a few or many ....
Anyway good luck with the sale and now you see the "point" , or maybe not... and what I meant by "here we go again..."
Agree Sporty - Look forward to some drinking/sitting around table BS'ing some day(Bullsh:tting not Bore Scoring)

Old 06-14-2022, 01:20 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by repguyMN
Thanks Sporty.
Good luck with the sale - Of course you will have no problem selling your car and my suggestions are just to help the sale along.
I've been selling Porsche's for so long I like sharing my formula and can do it with my eyes closed
All the best.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:29 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by repguyMN
what is the typical cost of a BS? I have no reason to suspect mine has any scoring but might be good to have it done prior to listing. I have some shops in town I can check with as well. Just curious.
*The other reason I suggested a Bore Scope Inspection is that the 997"S" engine is more prone to scoring as indicated by Charles Navarro in his most recent Posts regarding the subject. Something that has been discussed past few years.
The cost of going through the Spark Plug holes is about $350. Takes approx 2.5 hours. There's been debate to go through oil pan down low, however, in my 4 total Bore Scoring Inspections over past 3 years, the prominent Scoring and cylinder crack found was at the Top of Cylinders not down low. So I stick with my theory of inspecting from ontop through Spark Plug holes.
Heat shields removed, Coils removed then spark plugs removed.
When I had the Bore Scope Inspection done on my current 06 C4, I had new plugs installed. after the Inspection. Why not, they are just spinning in the old ones and good opportunity to install new.

FYI here are the result photos of those 2 Bore Scope Inspections showing the Scoring at top of cylinders and well as the Scoring & cylinder wall crack - Both of these cars were 997S engines:

Here are some photos from the most recent Bore Scope Inspection of my 2006 C4 that I purchased November 2021:

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-14-2022 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:41 PM
Ed99
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

To get a bore scoring done, price usually be in the range of $300-350 so its worth every penny in getting it done. Seller be prepared because most of the buyers will probably ask if BS was done or not.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Good luck with the sale - Of course you will have no problem selling your car and my suggestions are just to help the sale along.
I've been selling Porsche's for so long I like sharing my formula and can do it with my eyes closed
All the best.

Curious. I had my GTS up for sale just before or as the COVID panic started to take hold. I know. Perfect timing . Anyway, my experience which lasted about 6 months before I took it off the market resulted in the most responses from Autotrader and Cars.com. Hate to say it but the RL marketplace probably produced the least amount of responses. I think because of my OEM GT2 seats, H&R lowering springs and Forgeline wheels. Seems like most Rennlisters prefer bone stock cars.

Heard a lot of good things about BAT so started the process. And a process it is. You literally need half a day off to give them what they require which includes some 50 pictures including pictures from below the car. So unless you have your own lift in the garage you have to find a place that will let you use their lift (at a cost of course) just to take those pictures from below. I waited a total of more than two hours between two tire places and an indy I've used before. Finally said the hell with it,

So to the point. With all your Porsche sales, from where have you gotten the best and/or most responses? My impression is that if you have a nicely cared for car with records and have the time and patience to put up with the BAT process, that will bring the most $$. Right or wrong in your opinion?
Old 06-15-2022, 06:24 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Curious. I had my GTS up for sale just before or as the COVID panic started to take hold. I know. Perfect timing . Anyway, my experience which lasted about 6 months before I took it off the market resulted in the most responses from Autotrader and Cars.com. Hate to say it but the RL marketplace probably produced the least amount of responses. I think because of my OEM GT2 seats, H&R lowering springs and Forgeline wheels. Seems like most Rennlisters prefer bone stock cars.
Heard a lot of good things about BAT so started the process. And a process it is. You literally need half a day off to give them what they require which includes some 50 pictures including pictures from below the car. So unless you have your own lift in the garage you have to find a place that will let you use their lift (at a cost of course) just to take those pictures from below. I waited a total of more than two hours between two tire places and an indy I've used before. Finally said the hell with it,
So to the point. With all your Porsche sales, from where have you gotten the best and/or most responses? My impression is that if you have a nicely cared for car with records and have the time and patience to put up with the BAT process, that will bring the most $$. Right or wrong in your opinion?
If I'm not mistaken we discussed your car when it was for sale 3? years ago.
The accident damage/bumper respray ultimately held it back from selling if I remember correctly. I believe if you had priced it to sell it would have easily gone bye bye on RL.
And I agree RL buyers prefer more bone stock---> Also manual Transmission is huge + on RL due to so few. But---->Lowering car is an A+ and I've bought cars with wheels I hate so that shouldn't have negated a sale on ur car. Nicer/Sportier seats I think A + in Turbo car..
3 years ago IMO the respray effected attracting buyers/getting your price because people were more ****. IMO your car would have sold easily this past year on RL. I think the respray is less of an issue and probably a plus this past year with buyers paying insanity prices and a lower priced Turbo would be desirable even with the respray.
The Porsche market has always been like that.
When these cars are newer people more fussy. When they get older and more rare/harder to find very nice examples, a simple front or rear bumper respray no prob. if the rest of car excellent which I believe yours is.

I noticed the huge price increases right about October last year. I bought my current C4 in late October/Early Nov and remember being happy as hell to find it.
Many more cars on the market now - I see a shift starting to happen.(Pardon the Pun)

I've sold many cars on RL I believe because I have long track record of RL members buying my previous Porsche's and very happy so there is trust. I've also sold many on CL.
Back in the day, 356 enthusiasts had the 356 Registry to buy/sell cars and parts. The Bible. Sold many 356's on The Registry.
I find Craigslist a good venue

BAT is a great venue for the right car. I sold one of my 2002 996 C4S's on BAT 6 years ago --->Also one of my BMW Aircooled Motorcycles. Nice 1961 60/2
Back then BAT didn't require you photograph 100 underside photos on lift - I think there are 4 on the old 996 auction and they are taken by bending down w/car on ground
What I didn't like about BAT is they write up the description for you. Then they email back and forth to edit it. In the end they didn't do too bad a job.

BAT can be the best resale for seller IF he has excellent clean Carfax, full service records and excellent/superb well documented example.
Also BAT seller must be engaged in the comment questions which can be challenging, Auctions don;t so as well when seller a no-show or car not presented well. Similar to the no-show seller on the current Silver Manual Transmission 997 Turbo we are all Guessing on in the BAT Guessing Game Thread.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-4/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-2-motorcycle/

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-15-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:14 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Crickets?

Quick Reply: 997.1 C4S values