Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bore Scored, have Extended Warranty, but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 06:15 PM
endesign883
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bore Scored, have Extended Warranty, but...

Hi All,

I found out yesterday that the #4 cylinder is scored on my 2006 911C4. It has been ticking, has left exhaust soot, and increased oil consumption. The #4 spark plug is also oily. I bought an extended warranty from Endurance after I purchased the car, just in case of this exact scenario. I have a little less than 50k miles on it and the car is otherwise in amazing condition, inside and out. The repair facility called them and they said they would not cover it.

Does anyone have experience with Endurance and bore scoring? They have good reviews, and after reading their contract it seems bore scoring would be covered. They are saying they don’t cover ‘correcting oil consumption’. But this is going to get worse and eventually tank the engine. Not sure how to proceed. Wait until something happens to the engine and it no longer drives or gets fault codes and ask again? Below is what they do and don’t cover. Am I screwed, or do I have a shot explaining the issue to them in a different way? I appreciate your thoughts and experience!

Here is what they do and don’t cover:

Secure Plus Coverage covers the following listed components:

ENGINE – Gas/Diesel: Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head(s), Rotary Housing and all Internally Lubricated Parts contained within the engine including: Pistons; Piston Rings; Connecting Rod Bearings; Crankshaft; Crankshaft Main Bearings; Camshaft; Camshaft Bearings; Cam Followers; Timing Chain or Belt; Timing Gears, Guides, Tensioners; Rocker Arms; Rocker Shafts; Rocker Bushings; Cylinder Head Valves; Valve Guides; Valve Lifters; Valve Springs; Valve Seals; Valve Retainers; Valve Seats; Push Rods; Water Pump; Fuel Pump; Oil Pump and Oil Pump Housing; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pan; Timing Chain Cover; Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Valve Covers; Engine Mounts; (The oil pan and valve covers are only covered if damaged by the Breakdown of a Covered Part).

Not covered:

Any repair for the purpose of correcting engine compression, correcting oil consumption, or the gradual reduction of performance when a Breakdown has not occurred. Valve grinding, valve guides, burnt valves, stuck valves, burnt piston, and/or stuck rings are not covered.

Thank you for any insight!

J
Old 06-10-2022, 06:30 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Sorry to hear. It’s not surprising to hear the warranty company is denying the claim as they usually cover the small stuff but not large ticket repairs. You may need to involve a lawyer to try to get them to pay up.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:37 PM
endesign883
Track Day

Thanks. Does it look like from what they say is covered that I would have a case?
Old 06-10-2022, 06:53 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

How did you verify scoring? That should be the evidence to get it covered.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:01 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by endesign883
Thanks. Does it look like from what they say is covered that I would have a case?
That’s something a lawyer friend of yours would need to look into and tell you. The warranty company is banking that most people will not try to fight their decision and just give up. Depends on how much effort you / your lawyer is willing to put into this.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:16 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

You buy the expended warranty for "peace of mind" and what you get is extra stress. I can't think of many situations that I would buy an extended warranty, unless of course one of the robo calls offers me a great deal.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:20 PM
endesign883
Track Day

Had a bore scope done.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:37 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 551 Likes on 404 Posts

What is the year / year you purchased the warranty.

Like @KLS was implying... a quick check of the company's BBB, and as a fellow extended warranty provider, forum member, and over all car enthusiast, I wouldn't have let you choose that company.

https://www.bbb.org/us/il/northbrook...-0654-88077689

C+ rating and not accredited by the Better Business Bureau is never a good start.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 06-10-2022, 07:41 PM
endesign883
Track Day

I should have checked BBB. I tried to get a Fidelity warranty, but my car was one year too old at the time.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:34 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Secure Plus Coverage covers the following listed components:
ENGINE – Gas/Diesel: Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head(s), Rotary Housing and all Internally Lubricated Parts contained within the engine including: Pistons; Piston Rings; Connecting Rod Bearings; Crankshaft; Crankshaft Main Bearings; Camshaft; Camshaft Bearings; Cam Followers; Timing Chain or Belt; Timing Gears, Guides, Tensioners; Rocker Arms; Rocker Shafts; Rocker Bushings; Cylinder Head Valves; Valve Guides; Valve Lifters; Valve Springs; Valve Seals; Valve Retainers; Valve Seats; Push Rods; Water Pump; Fuel Pump; Oil Pump and Oil Pump Housing; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pan; Timing Chain Cover; Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Valve Covers; Engine Mounts; (The oil pan and valve covers are only covered if damaged by the Breakdown of a Covered Part).
Not covered:
Any repair for the purpose of correcting engine compression, correcting oil consumption, or the gradual reduction of performance when a Breakdown has not occurred. Valve grinding, valve guides, burnt valves, stuck valves, burnt piston, and/or stuck rings are not covered.
Thank you for any insight!

J

^^^The reading of items not covered regarding engine compression/gradual reduction of performance/burnt piston would seem to me they are steering clear of anything cylinder related or anything related to the cylinders or engine rebuild type warranty
This sucks and I doubt there would be a way to get around it due to the cylinder/lowered performance language.

Good luck and hope you can get something out of them!

How many total miles on your engine?
Was the Bore Scope Inspection thru the spark plug holes?
Any photos you can post?

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-10-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:51 PM
endesign883
Track Day

Hi Groovzilla, Just under 50k on the car. The borescope was through the spark plug holes I believe. Not from underneath. I'll get a picture from him. He said the compression test was fine. On one hand the warranty states this is covered: "all Internally Lubricated Parts contained within the engine including: Pistons; Piston Rings"... Wouldn't bore scoring fall under this category of internally lubricated parts? True, it doesn't cover gradual reduction of performance. Would it make sense to actually run it until it breaks down? Looking at the BBB reviews, it does seem they try and remedy complaints.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:58 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 205 Posts

Hi Groovzilla, Just under 50k on the car. The borescope was through the spark plug holes I believe. Not from underneath. I'll get a picture from him. He said the compression test was fine. On one hand the warranty states this is covered: "all Internally Lubricated Parts contained within the engine including: Pistons; Piston Rings"... Wouldn't bore scoring fall under this category of internally lubricated parts? True, it doesn't cover gradual reduction of performance. Would it make sense to actually run it until it breaks down? Looking at the BBB reviews, it does seem they try and remedy complaints.
I would think it would be covered under the Engine block definition more than the lubricated parts. Personally, I wouldn't drive it with the idea that when it grenades these guys will step up.
They'll just find a way to deny you then. Or they just agree to pay for a cheap rebuild instead of doing it right.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:00 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

My guess is they won’t cover it until the engine is inoperable, if even then. But it’s pretty clear from the language the current situation is not covered.

I actually just let my Fidelity Powertrain warranty lapse because the platinum was too expensive and I figured it wouldn’t cover any serious issues.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:27 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Really sorry to hear this news. And I'm no Attorney but can understand these warranty companies trying to weasel out. As others have mentioned probably a good idea to get more info on the company and their policy once the engine is inoperable.
*How bad is your oil consumption? Do you have photos of the Bore Score Inspection?

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-10-2022 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:45 PM
exduluthian
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I am a lawyer (retired), but this is not legal advice. Laws and case law in individual jurisdictions preclude a definitive legal analysis without all the facts and documents. That said, you may want to consult a lawyer now as the statement that the block is covered gives a colorable argument that scoring of the block should be within the warranty. There is a counterargument that I will not make publicly. And, of course, legal representation is not cheap. Unless Vinnie is still practicing...

Quick Reply: Bore Scored, have Extended Warranty, but...