Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bore Scored, have Extended Warranty, but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 08:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 2,965 Posts

^^I guess having that crazy# in the owners manual keeps the Dealership Service Dept. phone from ringing

Old 06-11-2022, 09:43 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
^^I guess having that crazy# in the owners manual keeps the Dealership Service Dept. phone from ringing

It keeps the manufacturer from having to provide replacement engines during the warranty period.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (06-11-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 03:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by endesign883
Hi All,

I found out yesterday that the #4 cylinder is scored on my 2006 911C4. It has been ticking, has left exhaust soot, and increased oil consumption. The #4 spark plug is also oily. I bought an extended warranty from Endurance after I purchased the car, just in case of this exact scenario. I have a little less than 50k miles on it and the car is otherwise in amazing condition, inside and out. The repair facility called them and they said they would not cover it.

Does anyone have experience with Endurance and bore scoring? They have good reviews, and after reading their contract it seems bore scoring would be covered. They are saying they don’t cover ‘correcting oil consumption’. But this is going to get worse and eventually tank the engine. Not sure how to proceed. Wait until something happens to the engine and it no longer drives or gets fault codes and ask again? Below is what they do and don’t cover. Am I screwed, or do I have a shot explaining the issue to them in a different way? I appreciate your thoughts and experience!

Here is what they do and don’t cover:

Secure Plus Coverage covers the following listed components:

ENGINE – Gas/Diesel: Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head(s), Rotary Housing and all Internally Lubricated Parts contained within the engine including: Pistons; Piston Rings; Connecting Rod Bearings; Crankshaft; Crankshaft Main Bearings; Camshaft; Camshaft Bearings; Cam Followers; Timing Chain or Belt; Timing Gears, Guides, Tensioners; Rocker Arms; Rocker Shafts; Rocker Bushings; Cylinder Head Valves; Valve Guides; Valve Lifters; Valve Springs; Valve Seals; Valve Retainers; Valve Seats; Push Rods; Water Pump; Fuel Pump; Oil Pump and Oil Pump Housing; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pan; Timing Chain Cover; Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Valve Covers; Engine Mounts; (The oil pan and valve covers are only covered if damaged by the Breakdown of a Covered Part).

Not covered:

Any repair for the purpose of correcting engine compression, correcting oil consumption, or the gradual reduction of performance when a Breakdown has not occurred. Valve grinding, valve guides, burnt valves, stuck valves, burnt piston, and/or stuck rings are not covered.

Thank you for any insight!

J
I have a hard time squaring this:

Covered: ENGINE – Gas/Diesel: Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head(s), Rotary Housing and all Internally Lubricated Parts contained within the engine including: Pistons; Piston Rings

Not covered: Any repair for the purpose of correcting engine compression, correcting oil consumption, or the gradual reduction of performance when a Breakdown has not occurred. Valve grinding, valve guides, burnt valves, stuck valves, burnt piston, and/or stuck rings are not covered.

Isn't bore scoring the result of piston/piston rings not working in harmony with the cylinders? Both lubricated parts which they say they cover. Sounds like they want to wait for a complete Breakdown to step up to the plate.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:21 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Here’s an angle: Your pistons will need to be replaced, which are covered under warranty. I don’t think bore scoring is wear at low miles like this, I think it’s more of a defect.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:21 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

2009 C2S 180K miles

Sounds like they are protecting themselves from folks not adding oil. When you run low or out of oil, isn't the consequences of that the list in "Not covered"?

Who would admit they didn't add oil?

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 06-12-2022, 02:49 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

I suspect they're going to call the current situation 'progressive wear' and not cover it, with the expectation that a hard failure won't occur until the extended warranty has ended.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:56 PM
endesign883
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the thoughts and ideas so far. Very helpful!
Old 06-12-2022, 04:21 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by sburke91
I suspect they're going to call the current situation 'progressive wear' and not cover it, with the expectation that a hard failure won't occur until the extended warranty has ended.
Quoted for truth. No real drivability issues and no engine codes = no problem.

Bore scoring is progressive. It's a slippery slope. At what point are they warrantying engines because of the leak down numbers are high with no other issues?
Old 06-18-2022, 08:28 PM
endesign883
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Again very sorry to hear the news of your Bore Scoring.
I have had recent purchase experience with Bore Scope Inspections looking bad, one had a cracked cylinder and passed on 2 997's last year
It's helpful for others that this subject be discussed and if you can post the photos/findings it will be of help to the Forum members who have concerns about Bore Scoring.
Look forward to seeing the photos and report.
I don't have the report yet, but here are the photos they sent. For the scope they went through the spark plug hole, not from underneath.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Wow - That's some bad scoring I assume on #4. Can see the burnt oil on that plug.
Didn't they give you Jpeg images of each cylinder? Usually 3 Jpeg photos of each cylinder emailed to you. They way those photos are presented is a bit unusual.
That Snap On Scope is the same my Indy uses and photos can be downloaded and emailed to you.
Sorry about the scoring. I think changing oils and being sure to warm up on very cold days will help prolong life of cylinder wall.

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-18-2022 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (06-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Bore Scored, have Extended Warranty, but...