Sponsored by:

Does PSE add additional power

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 07:07 PM
JC997
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Does PSE add additional power

My first thought and from what I have read the PSE does not add more torque or horsepower. However, today when I was driving my car onto the highway, I was at about 5k rpms and it was very loud so I turned off the PSE. Right when I turned it off, I experienced notable decrease in power and speed which struck me as odd. I thought maybe this was my imagination, so I tried it later in the day and the same thing happened.

The car does have a few enhancements such as Soul headers and cats along with a Softronic tune. It does get pretty loud at times and that was the reason I turned the PSE off today. Could it be that turning off the PSE restricts the exhaust flow reducing power?
Old 05-27-2022, 10:26 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 812 Likes on 457 Posts

Is your button the exhaust button or the sport button?
When I turn off sport while driving with my foot on the gas, it feels weird, almost like it hates that...the lag is obvious, so I try to turn it off with my foot off the gas or when I stop.
Porsche claims the PSE is just for noise but the existence of a flap does restrict some flow. IDK how noticeable but it has to do something right?
Old 05-28-2022, 06:38 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 239 Posts

PSE adds nothing except noise.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,764 Likes on 4,304 Posts

A little of both, but not sure it's a perceptible amount It shifts the torque curve lower when the valves are closed by increasing back pressure and at higher RPMs opens them to increase flow, which helps with HP. That's why the system automatically closes the valves at low rpm even when it's in sport mode.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:31 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Folks should clarify whether they’re talking about .1 vs .2 cars, as PSE behaves differently between those very different powertains.

On the 997.2, PSE doesn’t add power. And the 997.2 valves don’t automatically open/close at different RPMs like the 997.1

The 997.2 PSE valve position is solely per the dash button position.

I’m not as familiar with the .1, but Pete (Petza) has provided many detailed descriptions of how it works over the years.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:53 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 239 Posts

Honestly, across all models, it’s just noise. A good quality straight-through cat back exhaust, with no other mods, will produce very small hp gains. The PSE consists of just a bypass valve and actuated flap. It produces no measurable power increase. Crucially, Porsche does not claim any power increase. You can bet your last buck it would if it could!
Old 05-28-2022, 01:29 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 426 Posts

This is a key question and distinction. Turning PSE on/off using the exhaust button is for noise only. If you turn PSE on by pressing the Sport button, a lot of other variables are changed: PSE, increased tolerance on driving nannies, and sharpened throttle response. If you install aftermarket software like GIAC, Fabspeed, Softronic, the throttle response is even more noticeable. That is likely what the OP is experiencing. Not necessarily more power, but more sensitive throttle.

Originally Posted by jamesinger
Is your button the exhaust button or the sport button?
When I turn off sport while driving with my foot on the gas, it feels weird, almost like it hates that...the lag is obvious, so I try to turn it off with my foot off the gas or when I stop.
Porsche claims the PSE is just for noise but the existence of a flap does restrict some flow. IDK how noticeable but it has to do something right?
The following 3 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
BondJ (05-28-2022), frybear (06-01-2022), jamesinger (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 02:59 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,966 Posts

PSE is the best sound. Should be stock on all 997's. Why they made a button to turn it off I'll never know.
If you don't have PSE and want the closest almost identical sound, I suggest Fister Muffler system which is on my current 997 C4.
I've had PSE in my 996's and 997's and also Gundo Hack and the FVD Brombacher Level 2 exhaust kit.
Those are close but no cigar.
IMO Fister's are for sure almost identical to PSE in every way.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:49 PM
JC997
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Apologies for the delay in responding. The car is a 997.1 and it has the sport button. It must be the throttle response from the tune that feels like a decrease in power.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:07 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 812 Likes on 457 Posts

^^^ that is the key right there. Sport button has a lot of other variables over just opening exhaust flaps. Also, if you want permanent PSE open sound, you can easily mod your PSE to be permanently open. I have the Fisters, which sounds identical to my ear, and I never wince when I start my car, even when it is 6am or so. All other cars I have owned with exhaust, I feel bad for starting the car early in the morning or really late at night. I do not feel this way one bit with my Fisters.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:38 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 197 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
PSE adds nothing except noise.
Hello,
Yes you are 100% correct as Porsche does not show any gains for their exhaust.

Best,
Scott

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Last edited by Softronic; 06-03-2022 at 03:29 PM. Reason: fixed text
Old 05-31-2022, 05:27 PM
///Malcontent
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been playing with PSE on my Carrera GTS (997.2, of course) while adapting the actuation system to an Akrapovic "Race" full exhaust system.

I'm not sure if there is a load component to the 997.2 ECU's control of the PSE, but it seems like the valves are closed at high RPM under no load. I made a video with some captions saying what was going on.

Actuator in: Vacuum applied, valves closed, "quiet mode" engaged
Actuator out: Vacuum removed, valves open, "loud mode" engaged

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Folks should clarify whether they’re talking about .1 vs .2 cars, as PSE behaves differently between those very different powertains.

On the 997.2, PSE doesn’t add power. And the 997.2 valves don’t automatically open/close at different RPMs like the 997.1

The 997.2 PSE valve position is solely per the dash button position.

I’m not as familiar with the .1, but Pete (Petza) has provided many detailed descriptions of how it works over the years.

Last edited by ///Malcontent; 06-01-2022 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Updated Video
Old 05-31-2022, 05:58 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Malcontent
I'm not sure if there is a load component to the 997.2 ECU's control of the PSE, but it seems like the valves are closed at high RPM under no load. Watch this video I made testing the system...
That is super helpful, thanks so much.

Does this timeline look correct?

1) 0m00s - Engine is off, valves are open

Edit: Removed the rest of the time stamps as they’re no longer valid after the video was updated.

Thanks.

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 06-01-2022 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:13 AM
///Malcontent
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I edited the video to add captions of what was going on. See the updated video link above.

I didn't take the video with the intent of documenting PSE control and actuation. I was just verifying that the actuators moved as expected when the PSE was pushed. I was quite surprised to see that there's another control, likely the ECU, being applied.

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
That is super helpful, thanks so much.

Does this timeline look correct?

1) 0m00s - Engine is off, valves are open

Thanks.

Karl.
The following users liked this post:
wjk_glynn (06-01-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 03:25 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello,
Yes you are 100% correct as Porsche does not any gains for their exhaust.

Best,
Scott
i assume you’ve done extensive dyno time to see this on stock cars across all platforms

I have the aftermarket remote control to override the PSE’s exhaust valves that the ECU from controls on my GTS. I use it to keep the car quiet at tracks like Laguna Seca. when my GTS was all stock I never noticed a difference between The exhaust valves open or closed.
as soon as I went with an X pipe, headers, race cat, and 100 octane file, my butt dyno and throttle position seems to feel a difference in power between the exhaust valves always open vs always closed on the racetrack…or maybe I’m just high on the extra exhaust fumes

Quick Reply: Does PSE add additional power