18-way Power Seat Test Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 10:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,760 Likes on 4,301 Posts
Default 18-way Power Seat Test Help

Does anyone have a pair of the 18 way 997 power adaptive seats currently outside of a car where you could do a test for me?

What I'm trying to determine is if you hook up 12v power and ground to the main spades in the yellow connector if all the power seat functions work like forward / barckward, up / down, recline, and the air bladders.

I'm looking to install a pair of these into a 928 and have done the manual sport seats a few times but never a full power one. I need to know if the memory module or something else will prevent the driver's side seat from working with just a power and ground hookup.

Here are pictures of my manual sport seat connected with the white wire being 12v + and the brown wire being ground. And here's another pic of a heated power sport seat with the pins labelled, but the connector is upside down in this pic.

If someone could put 12v on pin 4 and ground pin 9 to a 12v battery with some test leads, and let me know if the seat works, I'd sure appreciate it. Must be the driver's seat that gets tested - I believe the passenger seat will work unless you can test both.

Thanks.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:36 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 426 Posts

My tech said doing a manual to power conversion requires more than just a PIWIS software tweak, unfortunately. Apparently there is a seat module specific for power seats, plus the wiring connectors are wired differently. Definitely not an easy conversion.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
My tech said doing a manual to power conversion requires more than just a PIWIS software tweak, unfortunately. Apparently there is a seat module specific for power seats, plus the wiring connectors are wired differently. Definitely not an easy conversion.
I understand that may be the case when trying to go from manual to power seats in a 997, but I'm putting these into a 928, like I've done before, which means I don't need the memory module or any of the airbag stuff to work, just the seat functions. I'm wondering if just powering the main power terminals on the seat will make the seat work, like outside a car. If it does, I'll be able to do what I need to for the 928 fitment.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 426 Posts

Mechanically, you should be able to do this if you can figure out the wiring to the motor(s) and bypass the factory harness or figure out which wires in the harness are just for power. I believe you will find those wires in the connector that is NOT yellow. I saw your other post asking for help to do this install and I don't believe that yellow connector has the wiring you need based on my install of LWB seats. I went from power heated/ventilated seats to non-power bucket seats with heat. I only connected the yellow connectors on my new seats and have full airbag and heat functionality. Gert at Carnewal, where I bought my seats from, also told me that I did not need the other connector because it was for power seats. I recommend trying to investigate the wiring or do trial and error with the other connector and see what you might find. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Petza914
I understand that may be the case when trying to go from manual to power seats in a 997, but I'm putting these into a 928, like I've done before, which means I don't need the memory module or any of the airbag stuff to work, just the seat functions. I'm wondering if just powering the main power terminals on the seat will make the seat work, like outside a car. If it does, I'll be able to do what I need to for the 928 fitment.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:49 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

I've got my regular, fully power comfort seats out of the car. They should be similar in function to the adaptive sport seats?

The driver's seat is at home in my basement, the passenger seat is in my office mounted on an office chair base, I'm sitting on it as I write this. I need to run power to it, and have a 12v battery for that purpose, but have to find the battery in the garage (which is a bit full at the moment as my AMG and the 997 are hibernating in there at the moment). From memory though, when I did try to run power and ground to the driver's side, I couldn't really get anything to work, But the passenger side did work. I will double check though, as this is over a year ago that I tried.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I've got my regular, fully power comfort seats out of the car. They should be similar in function to the adaptive sport seats?

The driver's seat is at home in my basement, the passenger seat is in my office mounted on an office chair base, I'm sitting on it as I write this. I need to run power to it, and have a 12v battery for that purpose, but have to find the battery in the garage (which is a bit full at the moment as my AMG and the 997 are hibernating in there at the moment). From memory though, when I did try to run power and ground to the driver's side, I couldn't really get anything to work, But the passenger side did work. I will double check though, as this is over a year ago that I tried.
Thanks and I think you're right that they should be the same. I went from power comfort seats in my 997 to power adaptive seats and they were plug and play with everything working. If you could test that drivers seat to the large pins in the yellow connector and to any large pins you find in the alternate connector tonight, I'd appreciate it. If there are 2 large pins in the alternate connector you can probably determine which of those is ground by doing a connectivity test with your meter between each one of those and the one we know is ground in the yellow connector, as I would guess the grounds are all common. Then put 12v on the other one and ground on the one you identified and let me know if the seat can be powered that way. If it works, great... I'll make the guy an offer. If it doesn't I'll wait to find another pair of the manual seats.

Pete
Old 12-03-2021, 02:45 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks and I think you're right that they should be the same. I went from power comfort seats in my 997 to power adaptive seats and they were plug and play with everything working. If you could test that drivers seat to the large pins in the yellow connector and to any large pins you find in the alternate connector tonight, I'd appreciate it. If there are 2 large pins in the alternate connector you can probably determine which of those is ground by doing a connectivity test with your meter between each one of those and the one we know is ground in the yellow connector, as I would guess the grounds are all common. Then put 12v on the other one and ground on the one you identified and let me know if the seat can be powered that way. If it works, great... I'll make the guy an offer. If it doesn't I'll wait to find another pair of the manual seats.

Pete
Send me a DM and we can connect that way. I'm not that great with testing electrical, but if you tell me exactly how to do it, I can do it - have the tools. Also, my powered comfort seats were replaced with adaptive and they were plug and play.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:30 AM
FloridaMan
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you guys able to get this figured out? I have a set or 18-way seats from a '14 Cayman intended for a 996 that are currently non-functional. The heat and the ventilation work, but I can't get any adjustment. Others have hooked up power and ground and been good to go but not me so far.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yea, we figured out I should buy manual seats, which is what I did (991 versions actually, which I'm installing this week).

We were hoping we could supply master power and ground and all the power functions would work - they didn't. It's because the power for the different functions on the Driver's seat pass through the memory module. The passenger seat should work, though we didn't test that one because of the Driver's seat with memory didn't, there wasn't any point.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:01 AM
OC_996
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post Deleted

Last edited by OC_996; 05-14-2022 at 01:28 PM. Reason: answered question
Old 05-14-2022, 07:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OC_996
Quick bump of this thread to ask if anyone knows where the power cable (with Pins 4, 9, 13 and 8) actually connects to the SEAT? I've tried following the line of the cable loom and it looks like it travels somewhere behind the seat cushion or into the seat back, and I need to figure out what the other end of this power connection looks like & how it can be accessed.

Thanks in advance, if you have the answer!
In the yellow connector directly under the seat bottom. You have to pull out the grey plastic fork ehilt flipping the black lever.

Disconnect the battery first & DONT LATCH THE FRUNK?

Last edited by Petza914; 05-14-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:25 AM
OC_996
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the yellow connector directly under the seat bottom. You have to pull out the grey plastic fork ehilt flipping the black lever.

Disconnect the battery first & DONT LATCH THE FRUNK?
Thanks! I'm actually trying to figure out where the loom originates, if it terminates in the yellow connection housing. So, in other words -- I know where this cable ends, and where it is supposed to attach to the car to power the seat. But where in the seat does this power cable begin? On the driver's side it is not in the control switch panel on the side of the seat, as it appears to be on the passenger side, but I lose the wire's path once it goes toward the back of the seat cushion where it meets the seat back.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OC_996
Thanks! I'm actually trying to figure out where the loom originates, if it terminates in the yellow connection housing. So, in other words -- I know where this cable ends, and where it is supposed to attach to the car to power the seat. But where in the seat does this power cable begin? On the driver's side it is not in the control switch panel on the side of the seat, as it appears to be on the passenger side, but I lose the wire's path once it goes toward the back of the seat cushion where it meets the seat back.
Ah, for the driver's seat all the signals to the seat come from the memory module as it has to move all those motors and air pumps as part of the memory seat function, whereas the passenger seat doesn't have that. This is what makes retrofitting power seats into a car not originally equipped with them and why I only put the manual versions (power recline) into my 928s.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:09 PM
silvertoy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have non memory full power heated 18 way seats from a GT3 installed in my C2S that had full power memory comfort seats. All functions work (including heat). Memory does not work but that was expected.

All I had to do was repin one wire from the memory connector. So it is possible to bypass the memory module and get things working.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ry-sports.html
The following users liked this post:
emjohn43 (01-23-2023)
Old 05-14-2022, 04:16 PM
FloridaMan
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am confused by a few of these replies. I could see that if you put a non-memory seat into a car that had memory, then you might have to re-route the power, as silvertoy was explaining. Can't speak to that personally.

What I can speak to - You can 100% install a memory seat using only power and ground. I was initially having issues with mine ('14 Cayman 18-way --> 996). With the memory modules that came with the seats, I got now movement at all. I bought another module on eBay (from a vin with 14-way seats) and my seats move just fine now, thought I don't get all 18-ways currently. You do not have to buy manual seats, and you do not need to re-wire memory seats to be non-memory. The switches in the memory seats produce a different resistance if they are moved one way vs. the other. They won't flip the polarity on a motor or anything, so you can't re-wire the seat and use those same switches. From a different forum I read that the manual seats have a different switch panel entirely (which I believe). As a result, I don't think you want to be trying to chase power wires back up into your seat. Hook up power and ground (+heat and cooling if present) at the yellow connector and you should be good. I didn't have to hook an airbag or seatbelt fastened indicator, but that might also be necessary for a 997. Mine is a 996. But if you have a memory module that is functional, your seat will move with only power and ground.

Why the memory modules (left & right) that came with my seats seems to be be locked, and the one that I bought was unlocked, I haven't figured out. I am trying to get a hold of the gateway module to pull codes from the non-functional seat memory module. I hope I can clear codes, and both left and right will just work.

Quick Reply: 18-way Power Seat Test Help