Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Were there any warning signs of your PDK failure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 06:37 PM
rlshaw
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Were there any warning signs of your PDK failure?

I'm not having any PDK issues with my 2010 997.2 but just was curious this morning for those who have had a PDK failure. Were they any warning signs?
Old 11-12-2021, 06:53 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Not PDK, but my Audi DSG did not have signs prior to failure. Always serviced on time.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:46 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I own a 997.2 that suffered PDK failure under prior owner and there was no warnings as far as I know, just a sudden message and the dreaded illuminated (!)
The following users liked this post:
rlshaw (11-13-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 08:25 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Not having any issues, so why the heck even worry or think about it. Common sense and a quick search will show some had intermittent problems before hand and other had zero problems before hand, but why even go there with your mind and then feed the neurosis on here if you have NO issues?
The following 3 users liked this post by Doug H:
ADias (11-12-2021), dougdtx (11-13-2021), voiceprint1 (11-12-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 03:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by rlshaw
I'm not having any PDK issues with my 2010 997.2 but just was curious this morning for those who have had a PDK failure. Were they any warning signs?
Two failures in two separate cars here which are both well documented in a number of threads in this forum. Both failures were preceded by the "Transmission Emergency Run" warning so there's your warning sign. I'm sure there may be other warnings but that was the warning signs for both my failures. In both instances the warning was cleared by shutting the car down and starting it up again. It only worked so many times though and in both cases the light eventually wouldn't go away. In one of the two cases the car wouldn't move no matter what mode or gear was selected.

In the second case the light wouldn't clear but I was able to drive it to the dealership where they diagnosed the nature of the warning. Can't remember the fault codes but like the first failure the second failure was traced to an internal electronic component so therefore full replacements in both cases. Both replacements covered by extended warranties. The second one was on my GTS and the tab came to $25,000. Only paid the $500 deductible to Fidelity.
rlshaw (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 03:44 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Not having any issues, so why the heck even worry or think about it. Common sense and a quick search will show some had intermittent problems before hand and other had zero problems before hand, but why even go there with your mind and then feed the neurosis on here if you have NO issues?
Common sense is not common. He is asking what the warning signs were so he could possibly prevent permanent expensive damage. It's called being proactive rather than reactive.
The following 3 users liked this post by michaelo:
NoWANG (08-28-2023), rlshaw (11-13-2021), Skwerl (11-14-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 09:00 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

No issues. Went to do the 12 year service and noticed a small amount of fluid. Turned out it was a leak from a bad seal. Only way to fix was a new transmission.

Car drove exactly the same before and after
rlshaw (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 09:45 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

I would argue that the "warning sign" would be the actual failure.
In other words, dash light on? Something has failed. Shifting funny? Something has failed.

Unless you're thinking of some sort of omen like a black cat walking across your path or an inexplicable feeling of dread when you start the car...? LOL

Seriously, most failures are sudden and catastrophic; something internal breaks; it's not like a clutch starting to slip. Do your service, drive the car, don't sweat it.
rlshaw (11-14-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 10:04 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Have to agree with old Doug here, but not only that, if you do see a one what are you going to do about it? Short of dumping the car on some unsuspecting dim bulb there is pretty much nothing you can do once you see one of these "warning signs". You can repair it afterwards though.

If you are looking for something to worry about I'd suggest the pending global supply chain collapse and runaway inflation destroying your life's savings are more worthy subjects. Or you can live your life and be happy.
Fined (11-13-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 02:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I would argue that the "warning sign" would be the actual failure.
In other words, dash light on? Something has failed. Shifting funny? Something has failed.

Unless you're thinking of some sort of omen like a black cat walking across your path or an inexplicable feeling of dread when you start the car...? LOL

Seriously, most failures are sudden and catastrophic; something internal breaks; it's not like a clutch starting to slip. Do your service, drive the car, don't sweat it.
I have no idea what the ratio is between sudden, catastrophic and gradual. All I know is that initially, nothing about either of my two failures was sudden or catastrophic. The only thing sudden was the Transmission Emergency Run warning lighting up but again, initially there was nothing catastrophic about either failure. Instead, in both cases it was more of a gradual decent to where full replacement was the only solution. Leading up to that, the light would clear by shutting the car down and starting it back up and things were back to normal. This worked in both cases but only so many times.

I should add that I have yet to read or hear about a mechanically related PDK failure. Only electronic related failures. Doesn't mean the mechanical portion of the PDK is fail proof but based on the lack of stories about such failures they must be rare. FWIW, my service advisor at the dealership said he hasn't seen one single mechanical PDK failure since the PDK was introduced in 2009. All failures he's seen requiring full replacement have been due to internal electronic components.
rlshaw (11-14-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 05:17 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

To my understanding, there is no meaning between fluid replacement or timely maintenance and prevention of PDK failures.

99% of the failures observed in PDK were found to be related to electrical failure.
In fact, there are many cases where after a fluid change in the PDK an electrical fault was observed (following incorrect calibration of the PDK).

Thankfully, thanks to the amazing people in the forum - there is hope for a PDK repair (without the need for a full PDK replacement).

The only thing I can think of that can help maintain the PDK and clutches is:
1. If you live in a hot country - make sure you have a third radiator, for PDK cooling.
2. Do not overload the clutches: Try not to be in position D while you are in parking lots or traffic jams (avoid overloading the clutches - and abrasion of the clutch). Stay in M ​​position and do not downshift while the foot is on the declaration.
Another thing, try before you drive hard to wait for the PDK to set to working temperature. This is true for any engine or transmission system based on hydraulic oil / mechanical components.
My 2 cents
rlshaw (11-14-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 06:07 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
Common sense is not common. He is asking what the warning signs were so he could possibly prevent permanent expensive damage. It's called being proactive rather than reactive.
Proactive, nah. Nothing you can do to prevent the failure even if it hiccups before catastrophic failure. Some guys have reported intermittent shifting/sticking issues prior to failure that may have reset when turning car off and back on.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:06 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

keep us posted on how it goes.
i just suffered a likely PDK sensor failure in my 997.2 a few days ago (posted on the PV997's main PDK repair guide thread), so I'm curious how it is going to turn out for you...
Old 10-13-2022, 11:23 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSpure
Thankfully, thanks to the amazing people in the forum - there is hope for a PDK repair (without the need for a full PDK replacement).

Another thing, try before you drive hard to wait for the PDK to set to working temperature. This is true for any engine or transmission system based on hydraulic oil / mechanical components.
My sentiments exactly. I'm trusting there will be a way to repair a PDK electronic component failure without the expense of a full transmission replacement which seems to be the only option available from a Porsche dealer.

Quick Reply: Were there any warning signs of your PDK failure?