Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt/Nut rattling around behind my seat? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 06:21 PM
nveeser
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bolt/Nut rattling around behind my seat? Help?

Recently purchased a 2009 997 C2S on the East Coast and finished driving it back.
IN the middle of the trip I updated the coils from H/R springs to Tech Art Springs which was an improvement.

However I think that shop that did it managed to lose a nut of something in the body behind me.
Whenever I am on a twisty road I can hear it rattle back and forth behind me.

I don't know much about how the frame is structured under there, so if anyone has any guidance . advice or threads on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by nveeser; 10-17-2021 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,763 Likes on 4,303 Posts

Someone had this issue a few years ago. It may have been Bruce in Philly. If they were removing the rear shocks they might have left something back there. Unfortunately, you'll need to remove the rear seats and subwoofer to get back there and check. It's not hard, except for working in that cramped rear seat area.

Before that, look in the engine bay on that shelf toward the back where the airbox sits or just behind it as there's space for something to sit there and roll back and forth.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

2009 C2S 175K miles

Nothing worse than rattling nuts.

No idea. As Mr Petza noted, pull the sub and the liner off and check the nuts on the top of the struts. Look for anything left behind like a wrench. Usually, you can get the rattle by coughing. Else, head to a shop and up on the lift it goes.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 10-17-2021, 12:22 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

You swapped out springs midway through a cross country road trip right after buying the car? Brave!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:02 AM
nveeser
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah it sounds like a nut rolling around.
When I make a bunch of lefts I can hear it rolling over to the right.
And the I drive for a bit its quiet but once I turn right I can hear it rolling over to the left and tucking itself in to something.

Just not sure if its inside the car or under the car. Not sure how the body is constructed, and what it looks like if there is a space between the inside (and the carpet) and the underside of the car.

If anyone has any pictures of the rear seat area without the interior installed would be helpful.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:13 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

2009 C2S 175K miles

Sharkwerks has a description.... had pics but no more.... https://www.sharkwerks.com/tech-arti...rera-s-gt2-gt3

Google subwoofer removal or ECU removal.... the car ECU is located under the woofer.

Very easy to do.... pull the subwoofer off and then the rest starts coming off. You may have to remove the seat latch post on one side... no biggie, quite easy. There is space in there for something to roll around on the metal chassis.

Below is a pic of what it looks like when everything is off.... my pic from when I replaced my struts.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-19-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Bolt/Nut rattling around behind my seat? Help?