Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base interior defects repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 12:31 PM
GT3dailydriver
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Base interior defects repair or replace?

My '09 Carrera has the base interior. Mostly plastic with a few leather items.

The leather e-brake handle has lots of deep marks on it. They almost look like claw marks from an animal. I am pretty sure I will need to replace this. Does anyone have a suggestion on the replacement.
On the plastic console near the e-brake handle, there are some marks in/on the plastic. These look like they could be sanded and refinished. Does anyone bother to do this, or is it better to just replace? Can I buy individual parts, or do I have to buy a complete console? Can I get this "used" somewhere?

On the driver door window switch panel, there is a defect next to the switches. Probably just normal wear and tear. Can this be fixed? If it needs to be replaced, does anyone have a part number?

Pics attached. Thanks for your help.

Deep scratch marks on leather e-brake handle.

Marks on plastic console near e-brake.

Damaged finish next to window switches on driver side.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:12 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 394 Posts

Send the ebrake handle {both pieces} to Tom@Dallascustomsteering wheels. He can rewrap in leather or alcantara better than new at a fraction of the OEM cost. Both pieces come off easy with no disassembly. No disappointments.
The following users liked this post:
russm535il (07-31-2022)
Old 09-21-2021, 07:12 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
Send the ebrake handle {both pieces} to Tom@Dallascustomsteering wheels. He can rewrap in leather or alcantara better than new at a fraction of the OEM cost. Both pieces come off easy with no disassembly. No disappointments.
Do you know if he does other pieces like the center console?
Old 09-21-2021, 08:09 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 394 Posts

I was considering my glovebox a tidbits in alcantara and he said no problem so give him a call.
https://www.facebook.com/DallasCustom/
Old 09-22-2021, 01:19 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Normal wear and tear. My desire to switch it out was much higher when I got the car (also an 09) than it is now a few years later. Drive and enjoy!
gutenfreibier (08-03-2022)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:46 AM
GT3dailydriver
Rennlist Member

I can see this happening for myself. I'm going to replace the broken "passenger airbag off" light for now. Maybe the e-brake handle at some point.

Originally Posted by Ripking
Normal wear and tear. My desire to switch it out was much higher when I got the car (also an 09) than it is now a few years later. Drive and enjoy!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:05 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

I don't use facebook.. does Tom have an email address or other contact info?
Old 09-22-2021, 10:11 AM
GT3dailydriver
Rennlist Member

http://dallassteeringwheel.com/
Old 09-22-2021, 10:15 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

thx
Old 09-22-2021, 10:27 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Do you know if he does other pieces like the center console?

I’ve been looking at the bumper plugs guys, they will redo the center console to match exterior paint. I really like the looks, not cheap though. That’s one option. . .
Old 09-22-2021, 11:41 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtheadtom
My '09 Carrera has the base interior. Mostly plastic with a few leather items.

The leather e-brake handle has lots of deep marks on it. They almost look like claw marks from an animal. I am pretty sure I will need to replace this. Does anyone have a suggestion on the replacement.
On the plastic console near the e-brake handle, there are some marks in/on the plastic. These look like they could be sanded and refinished. Does anyone bother to do this, or is it better to just replace? Can I buy individual parts, or do I have to buy a complete console? Can I get this "used" somewhere?

On the driver door window switch panel, there is a defect next to the switches. Probably just normal wear and tear. Can this be fixed? If it needs to be replaced, does anyone have a part number?

Pics attached. Thanks for your help.

Deep scratch marks on leather e-brake handle.

Marks on plastic console near e-brake.

Damaged finish next to window switches on driver side.
I replaced the window switch bezel after the previous owner did an awful job trying to refinish it. It's plastic welded on so you have to remove the door panel and drill out the plastic rivets from the back side. Once the new bezel is in place use a $15 Harbor Freight plastic welder (looks like a soldering iron with a flat plate on the tip) to melt the new rivets in place. It sounds a lot harder than it is. Came out looking beautiful.

A new factory bezel is about $75 and it's #3 in this drawing, pick the right one for your interior color, side, and body type. For me it was worth it to just buy a new one rather than trying to repaint the old one.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/v-2009-porsche-911--carrera--3-6l-h6-gas/body--interior-trim-door

Last edited by PV997; 09-22-2021 at 11:49 PM. Reason: fixed link
GT3dailydriver (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 10:51 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PV997
I replaced the window switch bezel after the previous owner did an awful job trying to refinish it. It's plastic welded on so you have to remove the door panel and drill out the plastic rivets from the back side. Once the new bezel is in place use a $15 Harbor Freight plastic welder (looks like a soldering iron with a flat plate on the tip) to melt the new rivets in place. It sounds a lot harder than it is. Came out looking beautiful.

A new factory bezel is about $75 and it's #3 in this drawing, pick the right one for your interior color, side, and body type. For me it was worth it to just buy a new one rather than trying to repaint the old one.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/v-2009-porsche-911--carrera--3-6l-h6-gas/body--interior-trim-door
Suffice it to say that these will ultimately become scratched up again, that is, assuming the finish has not been "improved". My Chevy SUV has similar color finish/texture interior parts with 1000% better scratch resistance - go figure what the German product developement/quality teams do/think(?)
GT3dailydriver (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 03:05 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Why not replace the whole center console, hand brake lever and the window switch bezel to leather?
I bought mine from this ebay seller, and he has another set for sale: Leather center console.

You can see my post #59 in this thread for my pictures.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:19 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

"$1,900- Das' all ? " to quote Tony Montana in Scarface when he was looking at the 928 on the showroom floor speaking to the salesman..... no thanks
Old 09-23-2021, 03:34 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 812 Likes on 457 Posts

"They almost look like claw marks from an animal" comment has me rolling because I thought it was just the PO of my car. He did say he was too old to get in and out of the car anymore as his reason to sell but it looks like he had some long claws that he used to grip onto surfaces in some kind of death struggle to get in and out of the car in certain areas.

Similar to comments above, I was planning to replace these when I got the car to the point where it was part of my offer price. However, after having the car detailed a couple times, I am not as excited in replacing the stuff as I once was. I was thinking of trying Fibrenew on some of the interior at some point. I figure if I am going to replace those things anyhow, I might as well let a Fibranew guy give it a shot. Their service is cheap and I have had good results on plastic and low quality leather. I used them with a used Audi before and they made the interior look new. The guy was happy to work in my A/Ced garage for a few hours to get all the plastic and whatever that cheap leather on the eBrake looking new again. Same auto group but different marquee. Same junk leather even with the full/extended leather on basic stuff like the eBrake and shifter.

On a forever car/fancy show car/garage ornament, I would find out who does premium leather in my area and take the pieces to them for a full on upgrade but since these are high wear areas, I just try to clean them up as much as possible. Here in LA, I would try to find out who does Singer's leatherwork and just go all in on a forever car. My C2S is my daily, so that might be overkill for now.

Quick Reply: Base interior defects repair or replace?