Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base interior defects repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 03:37 PM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
"$1,900- Das' all ? " to quote Tony Montana in Scarface when he was looking at the 928 on the showroom floor speaking to the salesman..... no thanks
That is a bit salty. Probably makes sense of you need a new console top, shift boot and shift ****. The Bumperplugs guys will paint the center console to match your exterior color for 1/2 that price. . . This may be my next big spend on my 997. . . They’ll also do the upper door trims but you’ll still need to deal w/ the plastic rivets and do some plastic welding yourself. Those prices are more inline w/ getting an OEM leather covered replacement. . .

https://bumperplugs.com/consoles/997...center-console

https://bumperplugs.com/interior-tri...pper-door-trim
Old 09-23-2021, 04:01 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

"$1,900- Das' all ? " to quote Tony Montana in Scarface when he was looking at the 928 on the showroom floor speaking to the salesman..... no thanks
I understand the "sticker shock" $1900 all at once would do. But when purchasing them separately like I did, it would have been a lot more. This set gives you $1800 leather console (exclusiveoptions.com), $700 leather armrest cover with debossing, $269 leather hand brake cover, $320 shifter **** and boot, $339 leather shifter bezel. Add the $450 leather window switch bezel and you'll be set.
I am very happy about getting these additional leather pcs to compliment with my "Full leather" interior. The peeling rubberized paint bothers me to no end and the leather pcs brought me a sense of relief. Money well spent in my book.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 09-23-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:24 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 300 Posts

"https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1269577-base-interior-defects-repair-or-replace-2.html#:~:text=Add%20the%20%24450%20leather%20window%20switch%20bezel"
Do you mean two leather cover spears that house the window switch and door release? If so, then $1900 is not that bad , inclusive of all the other items you list as well... Would also need the PCM sides in leather as well -Dallas Custom can do those as well but not sure how much nor if color match would be good. If you could find a complete set including those sides for a hundo or two more, it would then be a nice upgrade and something to search for and surely consider -
Old 09-23-2021, 04:36 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

"https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1269577-base-interior-defects-repair-or-replace-2.html#:~:text=Add%20the%20%24450%20leather%20window%20switch%20bezel"
Do you mean two leather cover spears that house the window switch and door release? If so, then $1900 is not that bad , inclusive of all the other items you list as well... Would also need the PCM sides in leather as well -Dallas Custom can do those as well but not sure how much nor if color match would be good. If you could find a complete set including those sides for a hundo or two more, it would then be a nice upgrade and something to search for and surely consider -
The $1900 ebay kit doesn't include the leather window switch surround but do include everything else I listed. The "window spear" part is in a high-wear area and most people have scratches on these. Replacing them with leather make the interior much, much nicer.

All done. The driver side had no problem with the switches.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 09-23-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:38 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Suffice it to say that these will ultimately become scratched up again, that is, assuming the finish has not been "improved". My Chevy SUV has similar color finish/texture interior parts with 1000% better scratch resistance - go figure what the German product developement/quality teams do/think(?)
Mine hasn't yet and the passenger side is still original and looks like new. That being said I'm careful not to grab the door pull or push the window switches with the keys in my hand, I think that's how these get scratched up. Hard to see how they get scratched in normal non-reckless use.

Agree the soft touch paint is a disaster and the Porsche executive who approved that should have been fired. The new switch bezel seems to have a harder finish but that might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited by PV997; 09-24-2021 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:54 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
The $1900 ebay kit doesn't include the leather window switch surround but do include everything else I listed. The "window spear" part is in a high-wear area and most people have scratches on these. Replacing them with leather make the interior much, much nicer.

All done. The driver side had no problem with the switches.
That does look really nice, will definitely need to look into that.

I've replaced the driver side door sill, ignition switch bezel, window switch bezel, and door pull with factory parts, along with repainting the center console using Bruce's procedure. It's all the typical high wear area stuff that annoyed me as it was a reminder that the previous owner wasn't as careful as me. Total was under $400 from Sunset Porsche and well worth it IMO. The previous owner must have been a loner as the rest of the interior was in perfect shape.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:25 AM
RDIMA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Morning. Does the door panel need to be removed to install the door handle trim in photos 2-3-4? If yes how long did it take to remove and reinstall.

thank you

Rick
Old 09-27-2021, 12:22 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Originally Posted by RDIMA
Good Morning. Does the door panel need to be removed to install the door handle trim in photos 2-3-4? If yes how long did it take to remove and reinstall.

thank you

Rick
Yes, the door panels have to come off. It's not a big nor hard project to take them off, but the first time removing any interior trim can be scary. Loud popping sounds do intimidate most people, but you'll get more comfortable on the 2nd door panel.
It took me about 1 hour to remove both door panels because I was being super careful. Unassembling the switches, drilling out the spears, running to home depot to buy screws to put the spears back on took about 3 hours (1 attachment point cannot be screwed back due to clearance. It must be soldered back, see the right most plastic welded spot in the picture below). Then add another 2 hours to put the panels back due to inexperience. If I had to do it over again on a 2nd car, I think it would only take me 2 hours to replace the switch spears.

You can attach the new switch bezels with screws (silver) from the inside of the panel

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 09-27-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:38 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

Can you walk me through or point me to the instructions you used for this, and link the eBay kit? I am looking to do console / spears in leather if I can.. I have cocoa brown interior and all the soft touch plastic stuff is tacky and scratched to hell.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:06 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Originally Posted by carguy999
Can you walk me through or point me to the instructions you used for this, and link the eBay kit? I am looking to do console / spears in leather if I can.. I have cocoa brown interior and all the soft touch plastic stuff is tacky and scratched to hell.
Cocoa interior is hard to find a used one. Here is a rare remanufactured set on ebay, but it's for convertible car cocoa leather console
Or buy from exclusive option: leather console + window switch frame

Door switch bezel threads: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...m-install.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...er-bits-3.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-consoles.html starts on post #13

It's not too hard if you can take the door panels off. Search youtube for lots of instructional videos on how to.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:15 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:44 PM
carguy999
Pro

Thanks! I found some vids on removing the door panels and yeah that seems pretty straightforward. I have a guy who can refurb the plastic but wants all the pieces removed.. which I kind of feel like removing the door spears is going to be more trouble than it's worth, but maybe not.

Also this guy from the first thread brings up a good point:
"Aha, I see why you went with a replacement. Unless I had some other necessity to take the door card off I would mask, prep and paint. Any OEM color can be matched by taking the ashtray in to Home Depot. From experience, their paint can be applied with a brush or sponge and no telltale streaks. No need to spray."

Any truth to that you think? Would I be further ahead to mask stuff off and carefully just paint? Not sure how I would get a decent cover layer on to prevent further scratching though.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:58 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

A month or so ago I had Home Depot make a sample based the ignition surround from my Cocoa Brown interior, but it ended up being a bit off. I was going to try the same thing with Lowe's paint at some point.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:53 PM
Everman31
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts

Thought I’d add my 2 cents. When I got my car last year I noticed the only interior piece showing any wear was the drivers window switch surround. I ended up ordering a replacement from my local Porsche dealer. The part received was discernibly lighter in color. I’ve since learned that the new trim parts aren’t exact color matches for the ordinals. Perhaps they adjusted the manufacturing process to make them more durable?

I opted to return the part as having it replaced would have driven me crazy as it wouldn’t match the rest of my black interior trim. I’ve since adapted to live with the slight wear and it doesn’t bother me anymore.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:03 AM
carguy999
Pro

Is there a way to prevent further damage? I know I know just don't scratch it, but the trim now is so soft just cleaning it makes it more scratched. Anyone have any success with some kind of coating?

Quick Reply: Base interior defects repair or replace?