Sponsored by:

Question: What did you buy for your car? Wasted Money

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 06:15 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Manual or PDK? I'm about $16,000 ahead on my 3 year Fidelity policy thanks to a PDK failure.
Manual. I guess I should get a PDK if I want to use my Fidelity warranty. 😁
The following users liked this post:
Patrick3000 (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 09:50 AM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU997
Against all my natural instincts, trying to protect myself from mental harm, I foolishly run a detailed excel spreadsheet of car stuff.

For the $10K usd I've spent on 63 items for the car.

Only 30 have made the grade, anointed "permanent" in the sheet. HPFP, Numeric shifter, PSE cans, Fabspeed headers, 991.2 wheel etc.

12 are "pending" (not fitted "yet"). H&R springs, IPD Plenum, Numeric cables.

14 Tools, I gave the Foxwell NT530 a high rating, it really has been excellent.

12 things have been nominated as "Dud", wrong C4 H&R springs, cheap *** short shifter, Topgear center pipe.....

To spend is to love....
Same reason I don't keep a spreadsheet of my wife's shoe and purse collection.
The following 2 users liked this post by mpath:
BLU997 (09-05-2021), JAB_997 (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 10:00 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
The OEM Porsche car cover for $225. Very stretchy and nice feeling, but the tan color picks up all dirt from hands, etc..
I have been fantasizing over one of them fancy OEM car covers for years. Vowed I will be able to afford one one day.

Trouble is, now i won't be able to use the fancy OEM cover because you told me about the dirty marks. That would do my head in.

Unless......I wear special gloves, put a (stunt) cover over the car, fit the weaved with pure gold OEM cover, protected from the "dirty car", then another modesty cover over the top to protect my beautiful OEM cover from dust and bug droppings.
Hatzenbach (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 01:12 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 240 Posts

Manual or PDK? I'm about $16,000 ahead on my 3 year Fidelity policy thanks to a PDK failure.
Hah! make that $24k due to TWO PDK failures
Old 09-06-2021, 02:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Manual. I guess I should get a PDK if I want to use my Fidelity warranty. 😁
Looks like lobster wheels in your avatar picture so I assume you have a .1 car with the IMS bearing. I don't know what the odds are of IMS failure vs. PDK failure except that the chance of failure of either one is very low, especially the case for the larger IMS (late 2005 through 2008 cars). Still, take comfort in being covered for a $25K engine rebuild/replacement should the IMS give in. So no need to get a PDK car to escape the feeling of having a worthless extended warranty. At least that's the way I would look at it.

On this subject, I'm sure there are rare cases out there but I never read about a manual transmission failure here. And I only recall hearing about one DFI engine failure. So I would feel very comfortable owning a manual 997.2 without a warranty. IMS/bore scoring on the .1 cars and PDK on the .2 cars seem to be the weak links. Weak links meaning just that. Very low probability of failure of either one but a number of documented ones that are expensive to fix without a warranty.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:31 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Looks like lobster wheels in your avatar picture so I assume you have a .1 car with the IMS bearing. I don't know what the odds are of IMS failure vs. PDK failure except that the chance of failure of either one is very low, especially the case for the larger IMS (late 2005 through 2008 cars). Still, take comfort in being covered for a $25K engine rebuild/replacement should the IMS give in. So no need to get a PDK car to escape the feeling of having a worthless extended warranty. At least that's the way I would look at it.

On this subject, I'm sure there are rare cases out there but I never read about a manual transmission failure here. And I only recall hearing about one DFI engine failure. So I would feel very comfortable owning a manual 997.2 without a warranty. IMS/bore scoring on the .1 cars and PDK on the .2 cars seem to be the weak links. Weak links meaning just that. Very low probability of failure of either one but a number of documented ones that are expensive to fix without a warranty.
My .1 is an 07, so the larger bearing. I am not worried about it since I had a Boxster for 17 yrs prior to this 997, and that Boxster had the smaller IMS bearing which I never updated and I only changed the oil once a year or sometimes 2, and it was Mobil 1 0W-40…none of that fancy Motul, Driven, or any Ms02 additive stuff that folks here say you have to use. Only thing that ever broke on that car was a coolant tank, water pump and a motor mount.

Never once changed out the gear oil in my Boxster’s manual transmission, and it still shifted smooth, and still does (sold it to a close friend who still enjoys the car today). I only got the Fidelity warranty for peace of mind in case my engine ends up having problems. Not worried at all about the manual transmission. I’ll probably extend my warranty another 3 yrs anyway.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 09-06-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:42 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

This might be expanding OP’s question a little bit, but I looked over the items I added to the build order at the factory for my 2011 C2, and looking back, there are some things I could have gotten by without.

I started out with the idea that I wanted something pretty basic, that is, base suspension, base wheels, and manual transmission. I nailed these. This was a huge decision to go Base rather than “S”. Absolutely no regrets. I added PSE, and I nailed that, also. I could have stopped there, but I added things that, ten years later, are probably just ok. Specifically, I added Full Leather and the Makassar wood for the shift **** and handbrake, plus a couple of additional Exclusive leather items which all together cost about $5k. It looks nice, actually really nice, but do I really need it? Doesn’t add to the driving experience, but I guess I’ll classify this stuff as a success. I also bought the Comfort package, which is, as I recall, heated and electronically adjusted seats, and auto dimming interior, for $1750. This is pretty much a waste of money. I haven’t adjusted the seats in ten years, and I got by for decades without heated seats. I also bought the Infotainment package for $3010, and that moves you up to the Bose, but much of the time I can’t hear it anyway, plus navigation, but I’ve never entered an address, so that’s not really such a big deal.

I never considered an extended warranty with this build, and this vehicle has been remarkably trouble free and an absolute joy to own and drive. Mike

Last edited by mk85911; 09-06-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:15 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mk85911
This might be expanding OP’s question a little bit, but I looked over the items I added to the build order at the factory for my 2011 C2, and looking back, there are some things I could have gotten by without.

I started out with the idea that I wanted something pretty basic, that is, base suspension, base wheels, and manual transmission. I nailed these. This was a huge decision to go Base rather than “S”. Absolutely no regrets. I added PSE, and I nailed that, also. I could have stopped there, but I added things that, ten years later, are probably just ok. Specifically, I added Full Leather and the Makassar wood for the shift **** and handbrake, plus a couple of additional Exclusive leather items which all together cost about $5k. It looks nice, actually really nice, but do I really need it? Doesn’t add to the driving experience, but I guess I’ll classify this stuff as a success. I also bought the Comfort package, which is, as I recall, heated and electronically adjusted seats, and auto dimming interior, for $1750. This is pretty much a waste of money. I haven’t adjusted the seats in ten years, and I got by for decades without heated seats. I also bought the Infotainment package for $3010, and that moves you up to the Bose, but much of the time I can’t hear it anyway, plus navigation, but I’ve never entered an address, so that’s not really such a big deal.

I never considered an extended warranty with this build, and this vehicle has been remarkably trouble free and an absolute joy to own and drive. Mike
May I ask how did you add the full leather ? Did you find a cost effective way? I know this might be waste of money but I do really like the dash and doors leather. Unfortunately, the 997 does look cheap with no leather interior compared to my other cars that are alot cheaper.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:29 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
My .1 is an 07, so the larger bearing. I am not worried about it since I had a Boxster for 17 yrs prior to this 997, and that Boxster had the smaller IMS bearing which I never updated and I only changed the oil once a year or sometimes 2, and it was Mobil 1 0W-40…none of that fancy Motul, Driven, or any Ms02 additive stuff that folks here say you have to use. Only thing that ever broke on that car was a coolant tank, water pump and a motor mount.
Same here. I asked the senior tech at the dealership who has worked on my cars most of the time when I've brought them in over the years if these premium oils and additives that are recommended here and elsewhere are worth the extra cost. His opinion for what it's worth is that they're not worth the cost. New cars leave the Porsche factory with Mobil oil and dealerships use the same oil with oil changes so its an oil that's endorsed by the manufacturer. Good enough for me.
Carreralicious (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 11:26 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Same here. I asked the senior tech at the dealership who has worked on my cars most of the time when I've brought them in over the years if these premium oils and additives that are recommended here and elsewhere are worth the extra cost. His opinion for what it's worth is that they're not worth the cost. New cars leave the Porsche factory with Mobil oil and dealerships use the same oil with oil changes so its an oil that's endorsed by the manufacturer. Good enough for me.
Yeah, I am part of a group of tri-state area Porsche friends who get together for annual work on cars days. Most of them have Boxsters as I had a Boxster before and joined them back then. Some of us have moved to 911s but we still gather and have fun working on cars. There’s about 20+ of us and most if not all just use the Mobil 1 0W-40. Some I’ve seen maybe use Castrol or AMS oil, but I haven’t seen anyone use Motul or Driven. I don’t think they even know about it. Same goes with the MoS2 moly additive. None of these guys have had IMS or other engine issues over the years. I think if they came to this site, they’d be scared. LOL.

I’ve since switched to M1 5W-50 on my 997 cause I think it has more protection from shear than the 0W, but not sure if it makes much difference.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 09-07-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

The manufacturer also recommends 10k mile oil change intervals. Curious if your following that recommendation as well.

Just because a manufacturer receives a boatload of money to endorse a prosuxt and put that label in your engine compartment doesn't necessarily make it the best choice. The only thing most manufacturers really care about is getting the car through the warranty period.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:53 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU997
I have been fantasizing over one of them fancy OEM car covers for years. Vowed I will be able to afford one one day.

Trouble is, now i won't be able to use the fancy OEM cover because you told me about the dirty marks. That would do my head in.

Unless......I wear special gloves, put a (stunt) cover over the car, fit the weaved with pure gold OEM cover, protected from the "dirty car", then another modesty cover over the top to protect my beautiful OEM cover from dust and bug droppings.
Mate, let me tell you that you'll be severely disappointed like I was! I seriously considered placing a cover over cover like you suggested. Had to really s-t-r-e-t-c-h it over the car to fit too, but it is new, I suppose. If the cover was in black or dark grey, all these issues would not exist.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:57 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
May I ask how did you add the full leather ? Did you find a cost effective way? I know this might be waste of money but I do really like the dash and doors leather. Unfortunately, the 997 does look cheap with no leather interior compared to my other cars that are alot cheaper.
I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear enough. I didn’t add full leather after I took delivery; I was talking about options I selected when I ordered my car. However, you could add the wood shift **** and handbrake handle at ant time, I believe. It stands out. Mike
Old 09-07-2021, 03:46 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Gen2 ClimaRepair switches from a few years ago. Currently look almost as bad as my originals did when I replaced them.
2. Brushed aluminum cup holders that are supposed to slide into the side of the PCM near your feet. Worthless - they get in the way of driving.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:32 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bstmusic
1. Gen2 ClimaRepair switches from a few years ago. Currently look almost as bad as my originals did when I replaced them.
Are Gen2 the same as the Revolution switches that they sell, cause I got them from ClimaRepair about 2.5 years ago and they still look brand new on my car.

Quick Reply: Question: What did you buy for your car? Wasted Money