Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 02:16 AM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default New Vendor Intro: Heavy *****

Hey Rennlist - allow me to introduce myself with a short story...

Do you remember your last perfectly timed down shift?

The procession of blipping the throttle, pulling the shifter and feeling the shove to the back of your head is one of the most visceral driving sensations that remain. Yet long after the world’s motoring lexicon has been rewritten in units of volts and milliseconds, you as the enthusiast driver will continue curating a quickly disappearing art form known as driving a manual car.

So how dare we try to improving upon this sacred experience - Porsche has been evolving their cars from one quintessential idea for the last 60 years, so surely they could do no wrong, right? Unfortunately, marketers and accountants stepped in and asked the engineers to design around spreadsheets rather than driving emotion and it’s how we ended up with a glaring design fault:

The Porsche shift ****.

At some distinct point these became lightweight, constructed mostly of plastic, and a disjointed part of what is otherwise an utterly fantastic experience. The bean counters assuaged us not to worry, because we could fix this with $1100 Tequipment catalog replacements. After 5 years of 997 ownership I thought there had to be a better way - and now there finally is:

Name:  DDzpe7G.png
Views: 255
Size:  680.7 KB

Heavy ***** solves this problem by allowing you to add any one of four weighted metal inserts into your 997/987 shift **** of choice, making driving and every single gear shift sublime while keeping your Porsche’s appearance 100% OEM. Here's what you should know:

• OEM shift ***** alone are flimsy. The 997/987 shift **** is mostly plastic and weighs a featherweight 60g while being almost $300 new from the dealer.
  • The metal Porsche Tequipment X97 shift **** is better, but costs $1100(!!) and weighs only 125g. You’re also stuck buying the matching ebrake handle.
  • Aftermarket shift ***** are generally heavier, but you introduce a visually clashing machined part into your interior that is scalding in the summer and freezing to the touch in the winter. No thanks.

Heavy **** shift inserts are the best of all worlds. You get to keep your favorite OEM leather/alcantara/carbon/wood 997/987 shift **** while having a **** that now weighs 165g - a 3x improvement over stock. Too heavy? Mix and match inserts for the most optimal feel. Do you have an SSK? With Heavy ***** you'll be able to dial in the perfect rifle-action shift feel in your Porsche.

Heavy **** shift inserts take only 15 minutes to install, have been designed, engineered and hand-cast in the USA to precisely fit inside your 997/987 shift **** and make this single handedly the best and most discreet modification you’ll ever make to your Porsche. Each order comes with easy instructions for install - which is completely reversible and no custom modification required.

And the final kicker: Each set is only $115, but for the first 10 folks to give the first production run a try and post their experience here, I’ll send you a set for only $75 delivered - which should be a no brainer.

Wow! The first 10 sets are spoken for in less than a 24h of this post being up and will be on their way to folks this weekend - I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of demand and am excited to get people's feedback.

For everyone else, I am starting a list of members on here who are next in line, but at the normal rate. I will have more inventory ready in about a week - appreciate everyone's patience.

So if you're interested, PM me here or reach out directly at contact@heavyknobs.com.

Name:  WhsydnK.png
Views: 245
Size:  701.3 KB

Last edited by HeavyKnobs; 04-07-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Popular Reply

04-09-2021, 07:24 PM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

^ there are always alternatives much more in the DIY realm of things. And I respect that.

You can remove your mufflers, drop them off at a shop, instruct them what to weld, bring the muffler home and then install it - or you can call up Fister and do a core exchange without the manual effort. You might save maybe 30% doing it yourself, but for many of us with the fortune of driving these cars, time is precious.

I've also tested different putties, metal powders, metal powder infused plastics, and at the end of the day this was the simplest plug and play solution worth doing - but really, valuable at the end of the day for those willing to buy the product. With any product development there has to be a balance of how much value is delivered to the end user and the amount of effort invested to bring that thing to fruition.

For most who have not taken these ***** apart, there are lots of nooks and crannies inside where if you stick a putty or paste inside, will make it a PITA to remove/scrape out. Most folks with beautiful carbon/leather/wood/alcantara ***** probably don't want to risk getting goop anywhere near those surfaces, which is where Heavy ***** makes it brainless to use.

But to reiterate how much time and effort went into this process, the cost of purchasing all the different iterations of Porsche ***** and assessing what works and what doesn't, testing different manufacturing methods, and not to mention having spun up a reliable process to cast these out of metal... below is just a snapshot of some of that effort:

Attachment 1337943

At the end of the day - I love constructive input from folks and that's why I'm happy to also be engaged in this dialogue.

Cheers!

The best damn shift **** solution for your 996/997/987.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:59 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Sold! I’ll take a set.

I’ve been considering a new weighted shift **** for a couple years but don’t like the spherical style clash of available options. And also the burning hand caution is a real one.

Thanks for bringing this to market and supporting the 997!
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (04-10-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 07:54 AM
DZ Carrera
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

I will order a set. Sent you PM,
Old 04-07-2021, 09:13 AM
Torxuvin
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm. Interesting. Do you have a diy for taking the stock one apart?
David Berry (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 09:36 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 321 Posts

Add weight to the car.....
The following 2 users liked this post by rtl5009:
guppychao (04-15-2021), springer3 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 10:57 AM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Torxuvin
This, how difficult is it or how likely am I to break something?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:17 AM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Torxuvin
Originally Posted by bgoetz
This, how difficult is it or how likely am I to break something?
It's incredibly easy!

With each order I will include a written up guide for how to install the inserts, and will follow up shortly with a video. For further reading - there was a previous post here showing in photos how easy these are to take apart:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-removal.html
Old 04-07-2021, 11:53 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Will it work and be helpful on a 997.2 GT3?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:58 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

Very interesting and innovative. I'm going to be taking a look at my custom wrapped Alcantara **** tonight. Assuming the shop who did the **** re-wrap didn't glue all of the parts together and prohibit me from disassembling, I'll be ordering.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:02 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 73 Posts

This is a really thoughtful solution. Perfect OEM+ mod. I’ll take a set!

And it’s even easier to remove the **** than what’s outlined in the link above. With the boot pulled up, simply rotate the **** 90 degrees and it pulls right off the shifter. No need to mess around with flathead screwdrivers and the rubber inside the ****.

Last edited by f50nut; 04-07-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Bonez (10-13-2022)
Old 04-07-2021, 12:10 PM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Will it work and be helpful on a 997.2 GT3?
You bet.

The GT3 shifter assembly and **** are still mostly plastic - so this will give it some nice heft.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:33 PM
joshkras
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in for $75 shipped! Sending you a PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:48 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyKnobs
You bet.

The GT3 shifter assembly and **** are still mostly plastic - so this will give it some nice heft.

I'll take a set
Old 04-07-2021, 01:16 PM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Everyone replied to!

[**note**] If requesting an order and you have a 997 Turbo **** (distinguished by the rectangular silver shaft) please let me know as these are slightly different in construction.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:10 PM
ShaunPerry
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I assume this works and has similar installation for the red alcantara GT2RS shift **** that I use?

Quick Reply: New Vendor Intro: Heavy Knobs