Sponsored by:

Headlight Restoration and Stone Guard Pro in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:58 AM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Headlight Restoration and Stone Guard Pro in NYC

Hey everyone. So I just got a new (to me) 997 and am slowly getting bits and pieces sorted on the car.

Seems the PO did not change the headlight 3m covers or stone guards ever (they are yellowing and cracking).... my local detailer is worried about pulling either off because it might ruin the headlight and/or rear panel.

Question is, does anyone know of a shop that has dealt with old headlight covers and stone guards before and have had good results in restoring and keeping things looking good?

I have a few inquiries out to some shops but just wanted to see if anyone had a specific recommend. THANK YOU!
Old 03-11-2024, 02:58 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by misterdega
Seems the PO did not change the headlight 3m covers or stone guards ever (they are yellowing and cracking).... my local retailer is worried about pulling either off because it might ruin the headlight and/or rear panel
Last week I dealt with an identical problem with the headlight film deterioration that I had made even worse by trying to use heat to remove and that only to make a complete mess. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Morimoto $1,800.00 lights mentioned in this forum but decided to go to a local reputable body shop. The owner came out, raised eyebrows at my removal attempts and told me that he could fix it.

Long story short, he did a fantastic job and charged me $120. If you decide to go that route I'll pass on some advice that forum member PETZA914 once posted and which I never forgot. If you or anyone decides to polish the lenses make sure to totally disconnect the lights from their high voltage ballast transformers because in cold dry climates enough static electricity can be generated to affect/fry them.

One final note is that if you polish the lenses, you have to apply some kind of ceramic coating to protect the plastic from UV light which will eventually deteriorate them. I'm sure that forum members who have done this will chime in and give advice on best products to do this.

Quick Reply: Headlight Restoration and Stone Guard Pro in NYC