Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump job - forgot to clean mating surfaces! How screwed am I?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 11:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinA
This is a very timely thread. My 997.1 is on jackstands in the garage, waiting for the new water pump to arrive from Pelican (tracking says tomorrow), and planning to tackle the job this weekend. I put the car on jack stands yesterday to get a look underneath, and spray penetrant on the catalytic converter nuts, which look ominously rusty.

I hadn't considered sealant on the gasket, so glad to see that suggestion, and also hadn't considered the potential difficulties refilling the engine coolant.

I am hoping this doesn't take 12 hours......
If you use sealant, don't make a bead on the gasket, just a smeared coating on both sides.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:01 AM
BamaPCar
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the help everyone! Greatly appreciate guys pitching in to help out a total stranger like me. I've been working on my owned-since-new 203k-mile '07 BMW 335i for years (will be turned into a track toy soon since it's no longer a reliable daily driver). This is my first Porsche though, and I'm finding they certainly have their unique quirks/nuances. My car is a 74k mile '06 C2S (997.1) that I bought 2 months ago.

I realized the CEL was likely triggered by me running the car without the airbox. I also changed the serpentine belt and wanted to make sure it wasn't slipping, etc. Should have thought about the fact that doing that disconnects the mass airflow sensor! I do have access to a PIWIS III, so hopefully I'll be able to check and clear the codes tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Floyd540
First off, sleep well. You are taking this mis-step harder than the car.

Enjoy your trip and do not give up on working on you own car. The rewards are great and you can afford to buy better wine .
I definitely posted this when I was tired, discouraged, and stressed because I was up until 4am working on the car because I had to leave town hours later. I love working on cars, but probably should have waited until I had a full weekend available instead of a single day. I always find I am a comically slow mechanic....but I didn't go to tech school for this stuff either.

Originally Posted by Petza914
To vacate the air without an AirLift, you can also park the car on a decline so the rear is high (rather than jacking it up) - that helps the air to rise to the highest point. Also, make sure you turn the heater on high to fully open the heater core valve and circulate coolant through there in case any air moved in there.

Sounds like you've started it and it pulled coolant from the reservoir so you've added some. Just keep an eye on the level over the next few drives, and maybe even keep the bottle of coolant in the back seat in case you need to top up - but be careful about opening that reservoir if the car is still hot. The reduction in pressure from opening the cap can cause it to boil over. Hopefully, you're refilling with a 50/50 mix of pink Porsche coolant and Distilled water.

Great job tackling this yourself.
I'll likely go the non AirLift route for now until I can get an AirLift and do a proper flush. Old coolant is pink Porsche coolant (and still reasonably clean) and I ordered 2 gallons of new pink Porsche coolant. Thanks again for the advice and help, Pete! Still have you to thank for saving my butt too last month when I thought my car may need a $10k overhaul due to camshaft deviation, when you (correctly) suggested it was a faulty PSE flap.

Originally Posted by b3freak
Hey man... I feel your pain and frustration. Most of us in the Porsche world are over 40 years and crawling under cars is not the most physically pleasing thing to do, especially when you on your back working on parts in tights situations. I couldn't help but feel empathic to you when you mentioned the multiple trips to Home Depot. I've been there, done that! There is not much more I could offer you then what's already been mentioned on this thread.
Thanks, helps when someone understands! I'm only in my mid-30s, but I have had bad knees since surgery on one of them in high school....and I just need to hit the gym more. Being contorted in weird positions for long periods of time definitely take a toll on the body. I have access to a lift but had to keep the engine supported so it had to stay close to the ground for this job. I'm STILL sore!

Originally Posted by KevinA
This is a very timely thread. My 997.1 is on jackstands in the garage, waiting for the new water pump to arrive from Pelican (tracking says tomorrow), and planning to tackle the job this weekend.

I am hoping this doesn't take 12 hours......
I've seen other report spending 45 mins - 6 hours. My job was twice as long as the longest estimate. Not sure if that means I'm TOO cautious or just incompetent.

I did have to cram it all in one day, so I exhausted myself and likely took longer because of it. If you have the luxury of setting aside a whole weekend for it, do it and take many physical and mental breaks. I have an accounting/finance job that often requires long hours, and a girlfriend 2.5 hours away that I make strong efforts to see every weekend.....so I rarely have free time for projects like this. This weekend I just happened to have one day free.

Last edited by BamaPCar; 03-16-2021 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:14 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 282 Posts

You are going to be fine and the car will be fine. It is actually pretty hard to hurt these cars. As to how much time it takes, it does not matter as it is a hobby and in theory the more time the more experience the more enjoyment. When you get older this will start to make more sense. For crawling under cars, age is not the only variable. A friend of mine was 100 years old and still working on his '32. Another guy is less than 30 will not get under a car because he suffers from claustrophobia. One thing I found is that when using jack stands (My favorite and most safe method for raising a car at home) is to get it up on the stands and then go around and go up at least one more notch (or more ) on the stands. You will still not be at the highest position on the stands. This helps a lot on reducing the contortions and agony from being under the car.
Enjoy! and tech school is not a requirement but a good history of skinned knuckles and bruises will document your experience.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Floyd540
You are going to be fine and the car will be fine. It is actually pretty hard to hurt these cars. As to how much time it takes, it does not matter as it is a hobby and in theory the more time the more experience the more enjoyment. When you get older this will start to make more sense. For crawling under cars, age is not the only variable. A friend of mine was 100 years old and still working on his '32. Another guy is less than 30 will not get under a car because he suffers from claustrophobia. One thing I found is that when using jack stands (My favorite and most safe method for raising a car at home) is to get it up on the stands and then go around and go up at least one more notch (or more ) on the stands. You will still not be at the highest position on the stands. This helps a lot on reducing the contortions and agony from being under the car.
Enjoy! and tech school is not a requirement but a good history of skinned knuckles and bruises will document your experience.
This. Exactly this. My chest squeezes against to bottom panels with jack stands. But at $2300 (self installed) my two post lift has paid for itself multiple times.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:30 PM
KevinA
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Rather than start a new thread, I am updating my progress on this one.

I was so anxious to get a jump on the water pump and thermostat replacement project, I took a crack at the exhaust nuts/bolts on Wednesday night (I had sprayed them with PB Blaster multiple times over three days). I was able to get four of six without too much trouble. On the other two, the nuts started moving, but the square end of the bolts (which are like a carriage bolt) popped out of the clamp, and then they got rounded out, so I had to cut off the heads (I used a dremel- took a little while).

I was planning to jump in with the rest of the project tomorrow morning, but after getting home from work, I went out to the garage to plan my strategy. I started to drain the fluid, then I looked at the exposed (easily accessible bolts) bolts, and figured I would try to take some of them off. Next I moved onto the more difficult ones, and then next thing I knew I was pulling out the water pump. I was shocked at how much play there was in the pulley when I pulled it off. I have 74,000 miles, and replaced it since I heard it making some noise, and am glad to have caught this before it caused a problem.

All of the prior postings on Rennlist on this topic helped guide me this far. Many thanks to BamaPCar for this recent posting, Petza914 for the suggestion as to the sealant, and The Bruce's (Overly) Detailed Guide to Replacing Your 997.1 Water Pump. Looking forward to finishing up tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Hootsama (03-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Water Pump job - forgot to clean mating surfaces! How screwed am I?