Sponsored by:

Is the PDK a compromise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 06:00 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Q: If The original transmission had been an auto manual/sequential dual clutch transmission and 100 years later a manual clutch-pedal/stick-shift was introduced would the latter have any takers?
Now that's a great question!!!

And as long as I'm writing here ... I drove my 58 ****** M38A1 as well as Triumphs and several Lotus cars in LA traffic for several years. All manual transmissions. Never thought about an automatic. I will admit I don't see the need for a PDK for commute and city driving, even on San Francisco hills. If you want a manual get that. Meanwhile I'm very pleased with my PDK.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
Ironman88 (02-05-2021), ManoTexas (02-05-2021), Robocop305 (02-09-2021), TommyV44 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:31 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Q: If The original transmission had been an auto manual/sequential dual clutch transmission and 100 years later a manual clutch-pedal/stick-shift was introduced would the latter have any takers?
That is a great question! It is hard to imagine there would be many takers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Balr14:
atallguy (02-05-2021), ManoTexas (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,763 Likes on 4,303 Posts

I love it - that's an awesome perspective.

Hey, we've got this new transmission that makes you use your left foot that you used to be able to relax, plus you have to take your right hand of the wheel, often at very inopportune times to move this weird lever in various directions, plus if you do it wrong, you could blow up your engine or burn the engagement mechanism up...oh, and by the way, your lap times will be slower. Who's in - the line starts here....

Of course, that's not where we came from so some of us feel like that involvement is part of "driving" a driver's car and a skill worth having and experiencing. Really interesting to think about it from that perspective though.
The following 4 users liked this post by Petza914:
atallguy (02-05-2021), Ironman88 (02-05-2021), ManoTexas (02-05-2021), TommyV44 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I love it - that's an awesome perspective.

Hey, we've got this new transmission that makes you use your left foot that you used to be able to relax, plus you have to take your right hand of the wheel, often at very inopportune times to move this weird lever in various directions, plus if you do it wrong, you could blow up your engine or burn the engagement mechanism up...oh, and by the way, your lap times will be slower. Who's in - the line starts here....

Of course, that's not where we came from so some of us feel like that involvement is part of "driving" a driver's car and a skill worth having and experiencing. Really interesting to think about it from that perspective though.
It is interesting but that argument applies to pretty much anything related to technological advancement.

What if the quartz watch was introduced and the mechanical watch followed 100 years later at far higher prices, lower accuracy and would stop if you don't wind them? What if fossil fuel cars were introduced after the electric car? Self-driving followed by non-self driving cars, etc. etc.
The following users liked this post:
ManoTexas (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Sounds like the PDK in auto/normal mode. Not familiar with the Audi A7 ZF8 transmission but doesn't it have different modes like the PDK? Manual mode where you instead of the car decides where it shifts and the equivalence of sport and sport plus mode which does away with the stupid just above 1,000 rpm shifts?
I think the ZF8 is basically the same transmission also used in Jaguar and BMW and shares many components and design with the Ford/GM 10 speed. I have driven all flavors and there are lots of programming differences and modes. Pressure on the gas pedal will also influence shift points.

Last edited by Balr14; 02-05-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

make sure to spend some time really driving any pdk car you are really interested in buying. I've read and heard so much about pdk being amazing, so I didn't blink when my mother wanted a 997.2 C4s PDK. Pretty pristine low mile car...and the transmission is the biggest POS I've ever felt. Clunky, lurchy, dimwitted in in normal mode, retardedly and unnecessarily violent in sport plus. It is so awful that after driving it several times, I now have zero interest in ever driving it again. It truly ruins what is a good car. Maybe this transmission is broken or whatever (although no fault codes through durametric), but I would never buy a 997 pdk...ever. 991 I drove was better, but still, totally boring to me. May as well have been a camry. Had a manual in my 997TT and while that had its quirks, it was worlds better than this particular 997 pdk.
Ericson38 (02-06-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:16 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

RE: Manual v Auto Mode

I can safely say in 30,000 miles, I have driven my GTS in auto mode for less than 5 minutes in the aggregate. My GTIS is in Sports Plus Manual mode 100% of the time unless I forget to push thr
Old 02-05-2021, 12:26 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ighlight=targa

This thread might help, I found it very informative. While I don't have the seat time z3mcoupe has, I have driven both variants of the 997 gearboxes many miles. They are both a treat to drive. The only time you will even think of the other transmission is when you see these kinds of threads on forums, especially the catastrophic failure ones!

Edit: I'm really surprised this didn't turn into a PDK hate thread quickly, most here wear the "manual or die" badge.

Last edited by myltz400; 02-05-2021 at 12:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by myltz400:
atallguy (02-05-2021), Balr14 (02-05-2021), Doug H (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,381 Likes on 1,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemarp
It is interesting but that argument applies to pretty much anything related to technological advancement.

What if the quartz watch was introduced and the mechanical watch followed 100 years later at far higher prices, lower accuracy and would stop if you don't wind them? What if fossil fuel cars were introduced after the electric car? Self-driving followed by non-self driving cars, etc. etc.
Definitely interesting comments.

I won't prolong this and derail the original direction of the thread so I'll be brief ... With respect to the comment above - I would agree with it today.

But going forward and as technology further evolves and robotics become more sophisticated and prevalent - I think it's likely that humans will begin to question their purpose and in doing so - will deliberately seek to reach back in some ways, rejecting technological advancements to better assert their relevance and reason for being.

Robocop305 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:36 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by myltz400
Here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ighlight=targa

This thread might help, I found it very informative. While I don't have the seat time z3mcoupe has, I have driven both variants of the 997 gearboxes many miles. They are both a treat to drive. The only time you will even think of the other transmission is when you see these kinds of threads on forums, especially the catastrophic failure ones!
A‘int that the truth. The only slight drawback I have is the potential likelihood of catastrophic failure. I have a Fidelity Platinum though just in case of PDK or Bore Scoring issues.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:16 PM
carbonduc27
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I think the ZF8 is basically the same transmission also used in Jaguar and BMW and shares many components and design with the Ford/GM 10 speed. I have driven all flavors and there are lots of programming differences and modes. Pressure on the gas pedal will also influence shift points.

Keeping this Porsche related, you are correct, it is in the newer Cayenne's as well (and Hellcats). Solid unit and just needs some tuning to get it to perform. Luckily HP Tuners OBD unit can tweak it all (once you find someone that knows what they are doing )!

Cobb is doing the same with the PDK. I read a few reviews but I wonder if any PDK haters have been in the Cobb tuned version? Better?
Old 02-05-2021, 01:23 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

For me, yes PDK is a compromise for sure. For others, no. It just depend on your needs. A lot of my enjoyment is tied to the manual shifting, street or track, as I view it as opportunity to better my driving skills and connection with car. But if lap times and winning are priorities, then I would pick PDK too to give me the advantage. But I don't care about that, it's not my profession. And yes I have driven both, and will pick the manual every time as long as it's available. It's really not a knock on PDK in anyway, I just like the mechanical feeling of shifting myself.

One benefit of going PDK though...will be the availability of cars. Out of all the 911s out there for sale, less than 10% are manual.
Robocop305 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 02:05 PM
solts
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

From a performance perspective, the manual is the real comprise. You're sacrificing performance for the enjoyment of heel toeing and rowing the gears. Having driven a variety of different p-cars, I've basically concluded that I prefer the manuals on NA engines and PDK for anything with Turbos

Quick Reply: Is the PDK a compromise?