Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1220171-note-to-porsche-classic-997-pccm-plus-request.html)

acf 10-29-2020 10:40 PM

Yup, If the 996 PCCM+ had 991 CarPlay tech with wired CarPlay only, hopefully the upcoming 997 PCCM+ Will have the 992 tech, which is wireless CarPlay. Then we don’t need all those extraneous boxes and wires.

TopKatz 10-30-2020 08:09 PM

Wireless CarPlay is not a deal breaker. Keeping all PCM functions is for me. Plugging the phone in is a opportunity to charge now a days.

acf 10-30-2020 08:16 PM

The major point is to avoid having this mess in the dash cubby:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7179b3aa19.jpg

Originally Posted by TopKatz (Post 16996776)
Wireless CarPlay is not a deal breaker. Keeping all PCM functions is for me. Plugging the phone in is a opportunity to charge now a days.

TopKatz 10-30-2020 08:24 PM

Yeah, I can see that.

Bxstr 10-31-2020 02:22 PM

I will be a buyer of the PCCM Plus if they integrate CarPlay, require no splicing (having adapters) and can overall make a clean wiring solution. I prefer the OEM look over any of the aftermarket units that I've seen. I think that's mostly because even if you buy the gray bezel which says Porsche on it from Suncoast for the aftermarket units, they all have the normal black border from the actual aftermarket unit itself and ultimately it looks aftermarket. I encourage many people to get an aftermarket unit if they're driving their car a lot and need the added functionality as long as it doesn't require splicing wires. I also wouldn't tell someone not to buy a car that has an aftermarket unit, as long as there were no wires spliced, but if I was going to be adding the additional functionality to my car and had to spend more to get an OEM looking unit, even with slightly less functionality, I would.

Liste-Renn 10-31-2020 06:16 PM

I agree with the post above this one.

I have a great back up cam added to my GTS, and am happy with my Sirius XM/iPod/iPhone hard wired audio (not a fan of Bluetooth streaming sound quality), but am not happy with displaying Waze on my phone (though is is nicely positioned with an inexpensive, but rock solid, CD slot holder ).

For connectivity, I plug in an old iPhone 5 (use it like an iPod) in the audio compartment under the armrest and connect my phone via Bluetooth, or alternately connect my later model iPhone with a 32-pin Apple adapter/1m long lightening cable and make calls with Siri, while answering them via the PCM screen.

I would love to keep my phone out of sight and charging while displaying Waze on the PCM screen. The price is steep, but why not make the car exactly how you want it, if you can afford it?

Jaws1 11-01-2020 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by shyamvenky (Post 16988867)
I’m not aware of any mainstream car manufacturer that has Wireless CarPlay in their cars. So I’d safely assume that it won’t be there. But the ability to reuse factory mic and gps would be very useful, in addition to all the other useless functions PCM2.1 had. Given that I’m already pampered with wireless CarPlay and multifunction controls, I don’t think I’ll be shopping for a replacement anytime soon..

My 2020 Audi Q7 has wireless CP. If it exists in the PAG ethos they can integrate it into PCCM+.
Reverse camera integration is necessary as well.

ZuffenZeus 11-01-2020 09:59 AM

I know I should "never say never" , but I don't see Porsche including back-up camera capability on their PCCM+ units or we would have seen it on the 996/986 version. IMHO, this is because of the liability factor with safety technology. If they included it on the head unit, then they'd need to supply backup parking sensors along with the camera for it to work on the scale of factory installed units. Of course, this also involves a tremendous more installation and calibration with making it work correctly. And think about, DiY'rs are known to cut corners or rig things which could cause Porsche to be sued if a serious accident occurred from a botched install. However, I agree that would be a great feature, but I'm afraid it's not their top priority given the features of the last two Classic Porsche radios.

kellen 11-01-2020 12:37 PM

I would be a buyer.

ekam 11-01-2020 12:50 PM

I must be the few people that have little complains on the PCM 3.0. It's a nicely designed unit. With the latest software & map update I use it for navigation, MP3 via USB key, XM Sirius, etc.

Sure, it could use CarPlay/Android Auto and a bigger/higher resolution display with a tad faster response speed for the operating system, but I'm not going to die without these features...

Jaws1 11-01-2020 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 16999291)
I must be the few people that have little complains on the PCM 3.0. It's a nicely designed unit. With the latest software & map update I use it for navigation, MP3 via USB key, XM Sirius, etc.

Sure, it could use CarPlay/Android Auto and a bigger/higher resolution display with a tad faster response speed for the operating system, but I'm not going to die without these features...

I doubt I'd rush out and buy it, however, someday the PCM will brick and it's nice to a modern OEM replacement.

Freakhead 11-01-2020 03:24 PM

If the cost is not too obscene, I will be in for the modern integrated look with CarPlay. Reverse camera is not something that would be a deal breaker.

Sporty 11-01-2020 05:11 PM

Come on , really? You need a back up camera in our/these small cars. These are sport cars, who cares what is in back of you except for the LEO and that you can see in your rearview mirror. Go buy a Lexus or drop north of of $100k on a new one if its that important. I have them in all my other cars and rarely use/trust them and I have a steep driveway that I back down occasionally. Otherwise would love to see this PPCM + available for the 997.1s, sans backup camera. I guess I am old, as I still read newspapers and like to look a map before I make a long distance trip to unfamiliar areas; not blindly getting direction from my phone/NAV with no idea otherwise (like my younger wife and college age kids do which annoys the crap out of me) sheesh -rant over

maranag 11-01-2020 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sporty (Post 16999779)
Come on , really? You need a back up camera in our/these small cars. These are sport cars, who cares what is in back of you except for the LEO and that you can see in your rearview mirror.

Some people live and work in cities - and not only in the US, you know. Judging the back bumper within millimeters takes some stress out of tight situations.

Sporty 11-01-2020 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by maranag (Post 16999858)
Some people live and work in cities - and not only in the US, you know. Judging the back pumper within millimeters takes some stress out of tight situations.

Yes I get that, but I can't imagine parking my 911 in those situations day in and day out - I'd d be nervous of the other cars doing the same in front and back when they are parking.
I used to valet park big old Cadillac's, Corvettes, Mercs, etc back in the late 70's at clubs/Discos within millimeters of each other when I was 18 - no back up cameras needed and never damaged a car. That being said I di back into someone's door in my wife's SUV a few years agos (with a back up camera !) guess I had a false sense of security -go figure.
Just hope that doesn't hold up Porsche from coming up with the PPCM+ for our cars.