Sponsored by:

iCarsoft POR V2.0 vs. P700 V2.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 02:36 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 164 Posts
Default iCarsoft POR V2.0 vs. P700 V2.0

I searched and read some old threads regarding 997 owner's experience with iCarsoft, specifically the POR II and POR V2.0 variants, but not the P700 V.20 version. I also searched iCarsoft's website and sent an e-mail for clarity, but I'm still waiting on a response.

I have an '07C2S and recently purchased an iCarsoft P700 V2.0 on Amazon to reset an airbag light on my car. I originally thought I ordered the POR V2.0 (that is what was pictured) but the description stated it was the P700 and that is what I received. The P700 worked effectively to reset my airbag light, but my question is if any of you have experience with the P700 version and if there is an advantage or disadvantage to using the POR version over the P700 version for the 997? Are there any features on the POR V2.0 that are not available on the P700 version, or vice versa?

Also, the cable that was included with my iCarsoft was extremely loose when I plugged it into my car. My shop had just plugged their PIWIS tester into my car the week before and they didn't have any issues with the plug staying fully seated in my OBDII port. My OBDII port appears to be fine, but I had to hold the cable that came with my iCarsoft into the port in my car while I performed the reset for my airbag light. Have any of you had issues with the iCarsoft cables that do not stay seated in your car's OBDII port? If so, is there a solution to address this?
Old 06-15-2020, 03:14 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

I have the V2 and I used it to reset my oil service light. Didn’t find it to be loose when connecting it. Maybe whomever plugged things in on previous years was rough on the connector?

EDIT: sorry, misread. You stated your cable wire connection was loose. I didn’t experience that on my V2.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:36 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I searched and read some old threads regarding 997 owner's experience with iCarsoft, specifically the POR II and POR V2.0 variants, but not the P700 V.20 version. I also searched iCarsoft's website and sent an e-mail for clarity, but I'm still waiting on a response.

I have an '07C2S and recently purchased an iCarsoft P700 V2.0 on Amazon to reset an airbag light on my car. I originally thought I ordered the POR V2.0 (that is what was pictured) but the description stated it was the P700 and that is what I received. The P700 worked effectively to reset my airbag light, but my question is if any of you have experience with the P700 version and if there is an advantage or disadvantage to using the POR version over the P700 version for the 997? Are there any features on the POR V2.0 that are not available on the P700 version, or vice versa?

Also, the cable that was included with my iCarsoft was extremely loose when I plugged it into my car. My shop had just plugged their PIWIS tester into my car the week before and they didn't have any issues with the plug staying fully seated in my OBDII port. My OBDII port appears to be fine, but I had to hold the cable that came with my iCarsoft into the port in my car while I performed the reset for my airbag light. Have any of you had issues with the iCarsoft cables that do not stay seated in your car's OBDII port? If so, is there a solution to address this?
I have the POR II. When I first revived it, I thought it was faulty as it would not power up when plugged into the OBD port... I had to push it in quite firmly to fully seat...Then it worked fine. If anything, my cable is very stiff / hard to put on and off.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:33 AM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to really carefully seat my iCarsoft POR II cable/hold my tongue at just the right angle to get the connection to work as well. I initially thought my scanner was busted, but it eventually worked after much fiddling. So seems like cable issues may be a thing for iCarsoft products.

Can't help you out with the differences between the P700 and the POR II, though!
Old 06-16-2020, 01:12 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chonniedotcom
I have the POR II. When I first revived it, I thought it was faulty as it would not power up when plugged into the OBD port... I had to push it in quite firmly to fully seat...Then it worked fine. If anything, my cable is very stiff / hard to put on and off.
Mine as well. I cannot remember at the moment whether I have the POR II or POR V2.0, but I have whichever is the newer of those two. These guys have hired idiots for product managers. I haven't had to reset anything except the maintenance minder, but I've checked out some of the metrics captured within the system and it does fine.
Sorry I don't have any guidance for you on the differences with the P700, but I'd check the maintenance reset.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:25 AM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I looked at both on their website. Did not see anything significantly different between the two.

Just the extra buttons on the left side that I don’t know really do anything. ;-)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:50 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Thanks everyone. I did hear back from iCarsoft support late last night and they stated that the P700 is just a private label version of the POR V2.0. I guess I'm still a little confused, as the P700 is still sold by and labeled "iCarsoft", so I'm not sure who it is private labeled for. Regardless, it sounds like it's the same software and it worked for resetting my airbag light, so I should be in good shape.

Regarding the cable, I'll need to plug it into my other cars to see if I have the same issue. I pushed pretty darn hard to try to get it seated on my 911, to the point where the whole panel the port is mounted to was bowing inward. It sounds like I'm not the only one. I might look into a different cable if I determine it is the cable and not the OBDII port on my 911 that is giving me fits.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:30 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

I too have problems with the V2.0 plug going into the dash input is loose or doesn't fit firmly holding it tightly. The male /female plugs
are loose to the point that the electrical connection is intermittent. Thus getting the V2.0 to light up as ON doesn't happen immediately.
This happened on my 2010 Panamera after changing the battery and inputting the new battery data. It actually became a real pain in the *** to get it to seat with all pins conduction working.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:02 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
I too have problems with the V2.0 plug going into the dash input is loose or doesn't fit firmly holding it tightly. The male /female plugs
are loose to the point that the electrical connection is intermittent. Thus getting the V2.0 to light up as ON doesn't happen immediately.
This happened on my 2010 Panamera after changing the battery and inputting the new battery data. It actually became a real pain in the *** to get it to seat with all pins conduction working.
I'm beginning to think it is the plug on our cars (Porsche's) that is causing the problem. I plugged my iCarsoft into my 4Runner over the weekend just to see how it would seat into that OBDII port, and it fit perfectly. It powered up the iCarsoft and I didn't have to fiddle with the cable or hold it in place for it to stay on.

Quick Reply: iCarsoft POR V2.0 vs. P700 V2.0