Sponsored by:

CV-----> Could Be Last Drive For A While

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 10:37 PM
krautmeister
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Stay safe out there!

I actually ran to my office to pick up some things this week and I was able to see some pretty “abnormal” speeds during rush hour because no one was out!

i felt like Will Smith in I am legend!
Old 03-22-2020, 12:08 AM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I just googled "COVID surface air", and this is just one news source that is reporting on CDC findings. I'm sorry to report this but want all of us to be as informed as we can be:

https://fox17.com/news/local/cdc-rel...s-up-to-3-days

Stay as safe as you can everyone...take precautions.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:15 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

The Harvard Medical School resource article is pretty thorough if you want answers on some common questions. And yes, the virus could live on a gas pump or keypad for up to 3 days, and stay airborne for up to 3 hours. So protect yourselves.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...esource-center
Old 03-22-2020, 12:22 AM
bschurr
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Be safe my friend!

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'm going to the MX track where the trees don't sneeze on me and I'm not close to anyone, except when passing them. If I get pulled over on the way, I'll explain that this is essential business for my state of mind

Y'all stay safe.

From a former motocrosser, please be careful! The last place you want to be right now is ANY hospital!!!
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 02:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Not an MD but certainly as knowledgeable about virus transmission as most (no offense to doctors).

Entry points are as described but there are a lot of ways to get there far more incidental than a handshake. Surface transmission is increasingly viewed as a key issue with COVID as the virus survives on multiple surfaces for surprising lengths of time. In theory this means you can have secondary and tertiary transmission points making control difficult.

For example, one person (even asymptomatic) touches the corner of their mouth and then their steering wheel. An hour later even after washing hands, they go back to their car and fill with gas... and transmit it to the pump handle or touch pad (steering wheel back to their “clean hands” and to the pump).

Now you go and use that same pump handle or touchpad that individual used. You dutifully avoid touching your eyes (knowing it is a potential transmission point) but use your car / steering wheel. After YOU wash your hands at home you go back for a casual drive an hour later. You rub your eye... you can very well transmit it this way.

This is despite no obvious direct connection. The virus can and is being transmitted like this.

BTW, the typical medical doctor is not well equipped to answer this type of question... I would rely on the latest research information out there plus a buffer as the information has been changing fast. Not surprisingly the transmission risks are looking higher than previously thought - which is why you should apply a more conservative approach.

I am still out there driving but if I am using a gas pump or any contact points, I will look to disinfect at the source points rather than only washing hands once getting home.
Good points, most if not all that I practice but left out in my initial post. I keep two or three bottles of the Clorox spray (picture attached, no affiliation) in my car and wife's car and we both soak our hands with this after pumping gas, getting in the car after a Sam's or BJ's run or any other public place that's still open.

Another thing that a surprising number of people do is coming home after a long day, going straight to the kitchen sink and wash their hands as recommended. Problem is that once they're done rinsing they turn off the water with their bare hands, contaminating their hands with whatever was on their hands when they turned the water on. We either spray down the water handle or handles with the same Clorox spray we keep in our cars or turn them off with a good thick pad pf paper towel.

Reason I keep mentioning this Clorox spray is that it has proven to kill viruses that any of the regular household names has no effect on. For example, it's one of very few that kills norovirus. Also dries completely dry without any of that sticky feeling of many of the others. Might explain why it was sold out everywhere I looked yesterday.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:44 AM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

So far I managed to take my 997 out 4 times this year. With current state mandate, I guess we would be home for few more weeks.
To keep my mind from Covid-19 and cold/rainy weather, I decided to do paint correction, ceramic coating, interior cleaning, convertible top cleaning and underbody cleaning.
That cosmoline is a hell to clean. I don't want to remove them completely for protection but all kinds of dirt are sticking to it

RacerWannabe (03-31-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 07:27 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I agree with all the posts following mine.

Want to note:
a) the airborne risk is valid but thankfully if you review the literature (and logic) it would reasonably only remain airborne for an extended period of 1hr or more when in true aerosol form (ie in a medical procedure where there are ventilators, respirators or other machines that could be mixing very fine droplets). In an outdoor setting or the typical cough the risk is there but not a 3 hour window!
b) we should all take maximum precaution because that is what will halt this.

Better for 1-2 months of economic pain than 1-2 years of prolonged economic and physical suffering and millions of needless deaths.

Stay safe!
Ironman88 (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 08:05 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 405 Likes on 285 Posts

That car is clean .... What did you use to get the underneath so clean ? I should get my car out of hibernation and give her a good cleaning since this self isolation is giving me some decent quiet time ..
Old 03-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Perhaps a dumb question, but with the part of it being airborne transmitted, what’s the risk when driving if you have a cab? No top down driving the whole season I guess?
Old 03-22-2020, 09:36 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
Perhaps a dumb question, but with the part of it being airborne transmitted, what’s the risk when driving if you have a cab? No top down driving the whole season I guess?
i think people should take it easy with this.

2 weeks of full china style quarantine will stop this from spreading instantly. And the whole thing will be over by 1 month after. And you can drive just fine.

but what people should get our of their heads is that they can move about like no problem. It is just a virus that stops without interaction. And human can survive more then 2 weeks with no interaction, virus cant. It is just a matter of when it downs on leadership that they shouldnt be afraid of curfew martial law measures But implement them without delay i order to minimize damage.

this is just the end of the beginning to quote Churchill. Tell all your friends this is mega contagious but also because 85% people barely have almost no symptoms - and stay home as long as possible (before govt decides it is time to shut everything down fully for 2 weeks like in China).

anyone who tells you about herd immunity is poorly educated - this virus has many forms and will keep mutating - you can have immunity from what you had but next iteration will send you to to hospital - as your immune system is already depleted. So assume you can get it multiple times.

afraid people will die in scores before people get this.

also I really really hope Im overreacting and wrong because there is literally no downside to me being wrong.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:07 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pascalemod
i think people should take it easy with this.

2 weeks of full china style quarantine will stop this from spreading instantly. And the whole thing will be over by 1 month after. And you can drive just fine.

but what people should get our of their heads is that they can move about like no problem. It is just a virus that stops without interaction. And human can survive more then 2 weeks with no interaction, virus cant. It is just a matter of when it downs on leadership that they shouldnt be afraid of curfew martial law measures But implement them without delay i order to minimize damage.

this is just the end of the beginning to quote Churchill. Tell all your friends this is mega contagious but also because 85% people barely have almost no symptoms - and stay home as long as possible (before govt decides it is time to shut everything down fully for 2 weeks like in China).

anyone who tells you about herd immunity is poorly educated - this virus has many forms and will keep mutating - you can have immunity from what you had but next iteration will send you to to hospital - as your immune system is already depleted. So assume you can get it multiple times.

afraid people will die in scores before people get this.

also I really really hope Im overreacting and wrong because there is literally no downside to me being wrong.
You aren’t overreacting. It was underreacting that is making this virus so dangerous to health and economy.

2 weeks is insufficient but you are right that a still limited period of SERIOUS isolation efforts will halt its progress.

Serious means serious - avoid any public spaces, any public interactions. Know that some morons will try and use their pea brains to decide for themselves that they can go out and live normally - which means it will take more like 8-12 weeks of serious isolation for the rest to truly halt this.

Unfortunately leaders in most areas are still being too reactive instead of proactive.

As for the cabriolet driving comment - I think the reality of the risk in 99% of situations when you are physically driving your car is minimal. In open air the virus should dissipate rapidly. If you are in NYC and sitting at a light and some pedestrian walks by and coughs... it is of course possible.

Backroad driving etc? I dont think it is even a one in a billion chance... literally.

People walking a few feet from each other in crowded parks on the other hand = moronic. Some of the scenes from certain parts of NYC and Cali are absurd and defeat the purpose of social distancing.

Again, I agree that overreacting is better than under but outdoors the virus will dissipate quickly to miniscule concentrations.

My own caution is enough that if I am filling up gas I will use disposable gloves, pay from inside my car via app, and wipe down the pump before operating and will still wipe down steering wheel after and still wash hands and any contact sequence between car and home...

And will only fill up early AM...

Completely overkill and technically unnecessary from an objective perspective, but I would rather have layers of 99% certainty (1% failure) and redundancy since I have a baby and pregnant wife at home...

If everyone took it as absurdly serious as I do personally, the virus would be done already.

Thankfully it is finally starting to be recognized as dire, mostly because of the economic impact and the Italian bodycount (incredibly sad state of affairs there). China with a 1.6 billion+ population and despite being the center of this, all because they could implement extreme action.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:17 AM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
That car is clean .... What did you use to get the underneath so clean ? I should get my car out of hibernation and give her a good cleaning since this self isolation is giving me some decent quiet time ..
I used old toothbrush with 50-50 water purple power degreaser and towel to wipe.
For exhaust, I used 0000 steel wools and purple power.
I don't know if that is the right approach but still had hard time removing the dirt sticking to cosmoline. Just a thing to do to get my mind of the current situation without interacting with others.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:18 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Received 1,098 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by krautmeister
Stay safe out there!

I actually ran to my office to pick up some things this week and I was able to see some pretty “abnormal” speeds during rush hour because no one was out!

i felt like Will Smith in I am legend!

I Am Legend is one of the greatest movies ever. Scared th sh*t out of me.

Yesterday (Saturday) I went up on Glendora Ridge Road in my manual GTS and had a frickin' gas. But got turned around as a car went over a cliff. .

Tempted to go again today before it starts raining.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:09 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Just tore up this canyon today... "Little Tujunga Canyon" both ways. One of my favs and just 10 minutes from by driveway. I have some longer loops I like, but nothing beats Little Tujunga for a quick 1 hour full on adrenaline rush! Just what the doctor ordered for anxiety and being cooped up! Not a care in the world during this drive and the 997 is still an amazing machine!!

stay safe my friends and hit the canyons whenever you can!

Partial bit of Little Tujunga Canyon in GT3

Last edited by qikqbn; 03-23-2020 at 01:35 AM.
G.I.G. (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 01:30 AM
TractControlOff
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts

The irony is that I would pay a hefty tax/fee to drive spiritedly on the seemingly empty roads during this time.

I picked a bad winter to send my 997 to Florida and now not be able to get down to it...

Quick Reply: CV-----> Could Be Last Drive For A While