Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire threads showing on inner rear - tire pressure of 42 psi too high?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 02:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The OP is getting 20,000 miles out of a set of rear tires on a 911. He doesn't need to do anything. How much longer do you want his poor tires to last?
I think I get about 35K miles.... not sure. To me that is important given the cost. Again, I drive my car more like a regular transport than a track car.... fast but not a terror in neighborhoods.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-15-2020, 04:15 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Damn Bruce ... 35K?!?! I thought I was up there at 25K on the rears.

FWIW I've converted from MPSS to MPS4 and the new tires are at 20K miles now and look like they only have a couple thousand to go.

This goes for the fronts as well ... Where I used to get near to 40K miles.

But in the interest of full disclosure this set of tires has seen a much lower percentage of commute in favor of spirited time with the car. I intend to replace them with the same.

With the attached alignment specs the fronts are worn evenly across the full tread and the rears have just a bit more wear on the insides.

Tire pressures have also been lowered from my days of commuting ... 33 psi front and 38 rear temperature compensated to 68F (add 8/100 psi per degree ambient temperature above 68 or subtract the same for each degree below). I used to run 38 fronts and 43 rears.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2020, 02:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I think I get about 35K miles.... not sure. To me that is important given the cost. Again, I drive my car more like a regular transport than a track car.... fast but not a terror in neighborhoods.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Highest number I ever saw for rear 997 tires. Even getting into the 20K mile bracket used to be impressive but 35K??? Obviously you're not lowered. And how do you drive? To the grocery store and back now and then? As previously said I've never gotten past 12K miles for untold sets of rears between the three 997's I've owned. All three H&R lowered though.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:51 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Highest number I ever saw for rear 997 tires. Even getting into the 20K mile bracket used to be impressive but 35K??? Obviously you're not lowered. And how do you drive? To the grocery store and back now and then? As previously said I've never gotten past 12K miles for untold sets of rears between the three 997's I've owned. All three H&R lowered though.
So.... I went back to my service records... I keep a summary on an Excel sheet.... and I purchased my current set of summer Michelin 4Ss at 111,500K miles on April 24,2017. I have 153,500 miles now. I put on my winter Michelins on Thanxgiving and swap around March 15. So I have two winter swaps in that time (just under four months of winter tire use). In that period, I drove Philly to Atlanta twice on summers and many times Philly to Western PA. My head hurts writing that..... I didn't measure the tread this weekend when I did my winter to summer swap, but they sure look like they will make it through this summer.....

So...... you do the math. Yes, I get good tire wear. 35K?.... yea... that seems about right (more maybe?). Oh, I had an alignment when I got the tires, and had another alignment last summer in Atlanta. My usual instructions are fronts" put some negative camber... put it to the edge of Porsche spec, rear: take out most of the negative camber... push the Porsche limit. My driving..... conservative in my neighborhoods.. I really do worry about hitting a kid or a deer .. FAST on the highways.

I purchased my Michelin Alpins at 44,440...... that doesn't see right..... I know I did, it is in my records, but is that when I purchased my current set? I sure think so...maybe I didn't log the new set... man that is some great tire wear! Before that, I purchased Michelin Super Sports summers at 35,500K.

Yes I get great wear and I think it is because of my alignments (I tend to get them every 1.5 year if I had to guess) and I guess I am a conservative driver with a ton of highway miles. I also replace control arms at the first sign of noise (clunks), replaced shocks as soon I discovered the rears were leaking..... no suspension mods except for the DSC controller (love it!)... I used Porsche labeled shocks, but TRW or other OEM control arms.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-16-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:28 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 122 Posts

Better than me, Bruce. I get around 28-30k miles on a set. However that will change now that I've got the B16s on with the car about 1" lower all around.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
So.... I went back to my service records... I keep a summary on an Excel sheet.... and I purchased my current set of summer Michelin 4Ss at 111,500K miles on April 24,2017. I have 153,500 miles now. I put on my winter Michelins on Thanxgiving and swap around March 15. So I have two winter swaps in that time (just under four months of winter tire use). In that period, I drove Philly to Atlanta twice on summers and many times Philly to Western PA. My head hurts writing that..... I didn't measure the tread this weekend when I did my winter to summer swap, but they sure look like they will make it through this summer.....

So...... you do the math. Yes, I get good tire wear. 35K?.... yea... that seems about right (more maybe?). Oh, I had an alignment when I got the tires, and had another alignment last summer in Atlanta. My usual instructions are fronts" put some negative camber... put it to the edge of Porsche spec, rear: take out most of the negative camber... push the Porsche limit. My driving..... conservative in my neighborhoods.. I really do worry about hitting a kid or a deer .. FAST on the highways.

I purchased my Michelin Alpins at 44,440...... that doesn't see right..... I know I did, it is in my records, but is that when I purchased my current set? I sure think so...maybe I didn't log the new set... man that is some great tire wear! Before that, I purchased Michelin Super Sports summers at 35,500K.

Yes I get great wear and I think it is because of my alignments (I tend to get them every 1.5 year if I had to guess) and I guess I am a conservative driver with a ton of highway miles. I also replace control arms at the first sign of noise (clunks), replaced shocks as soon I discovered the rears were leaking..... no suspension mods except for the DSC controller (love it!)... I used Porsche labeled shocks, but TRW or other OEM control arms.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
All I can say......well done no matter how you did it. Highway miles help for sure but all the the rest of the care you give your car surely plays a role too. By far the highest miles on rear tires I've seen here since joining the forum in 2007.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:02 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Last set of tires was Michelin PSS, and I got 27,000 miles on the rears. The fronts still had life in them, but I replaced them anyway (with MP4Ss). I *always* get my suspension aligned whenever I get new tires, and I get them aligned to the middle of the Porsche specs. Also, my alignment tech will spot check tire wear after the first 4,000 miles, and adjust for free if necessary (I have never actually needed it). My car is my daily driver (roughly 12,000 miles per year), with probably less than 1/3 freeway driving, and no tracking. Also, I do drive, let's say, enthusiastically in the many unpopulated curvy sections in the backroads of the Pacific Northwest. When I bought my car, I was told I would be lucky to get 10,000 on the rears and maybe 20,000 on the fronts. I am convinced that by always getting an alignment with new tires is the main reason my tires have worn so well. If what I was told to expect is typical, I look at the cost of the alignment as being equivalent the a hugely discounted next set of tires without actually having to buy them.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:08 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Not likely an inflation problem
Old 03-18-2020, 02:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11

Not likely an inflation problem
Is this true for all tires? Low profile tires? Normal profile tires?
Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Is this true for all tires? Low profile tires? Normal profile tires?
No, it is not. Low-profile high performance under-inflated tires can actually wear more at the center, due to centrifugal force.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:54 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
No, it is not. Low-profile high performance under-inflated tires can actually wear more at the center, due to centrifugal force.
Based upon how fast you are driving. This is true for all tires ... The physics is the same.

Quick Reply: Tire threads showing on inner rear - tire pressure of 42 psi too high?