Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 02:56 PM
pwr2lbs
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by byroncheung
Has anyone seen this? Shop put in the new distance sensor in the transmission shift fine. The only thing they are having trouble right now with is getting the clutches to calibrate.
they are getting these codes P17F0 Transmission over temp stage 1 exceeds limit value, P1871 Data record for clutch calibration is invalid ( no fault symptom available) The transmission temp sensor showing fluid temp is only 147F we are far from over temp.
I have. Review your wiring for the speed sensors. You will get this fault if they are wired backwards. An easy test would be to swap their positions at the PDK control unit.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:18 PM
KingFizzy
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greatest post ever! Thank you.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:05 AM
tbozhilov
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Code P1870 - PDK failure 991.1 4S

I recently experienced a PDK failure with my 991.1 4S. The car went into limp mode, only able to drive in 1st gear without reverse. The engine codes I encountered are as follows:
- P0700 - Fault in transition Control Unit
- P18B4 - PDK control unit, internal fault
- P1735 - Distance Sensor F. shift Rod F. Gears 4/6
- P1731 - Displ. Sensor F. Shift Rod F. Gears 4/6
- 00A016 - Warning: Check Engine

After replacing the Gear shift rod position sensor (distance sensor), the car was back on the road for a few days. However, there was a noticeable kick when using the kick down to accelerate quickly, indicating that a recalibration was necessary.

Following recalibration with PIWIS 3, the car failed again, this time displaying Engine Code P1870, which couldn't be cleared. We then proceeded to order a new transmission computer. After replacement, the gearbox calibrated, but the car wouldn't move. When attempting to accelerate in drive or reverse, the car remained stationary and didn't rev beyond 1200-1500 rpm. Although we were able to clear Engine Code P1870, it reappeared. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:52 AM
JoeOB
Rennlist Member

Default Pdk

Good luck with finding the fault. I ended up replacing the transmission after first putting in a new valve body. I still have the new valve body if this turns out to be the problem.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:42 PM
tbozhilov
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JoeOB
Good luck with finding the fault. I ended up replacing the transmission after first putting in a new valve body. I still have the new valve body if this turns out to be the problem.
Is everything work well with the new transmission and what was the final bill. Thanks
Old 04-01-2024, 05:11 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Friend sent this to me.. Maybe some will enjoy and learn.

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Swole:
cbracerx (04-04-2024), mthreat (04-02-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 07:10 AM
Carlos911
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
Chinese made sensor may very well die after 1 day. 13mm reading means dead channel, sensor not reading value at all.
We've heard plenty of such stories from the owners who were unfortunate to get those Chinese sensors from alibaba/ebay. On ebay you can certainly ask for your money back, not sure about Alibaba

Get in touch with us for a quality sensor, cheaper, and with lifetime warranty. We can also recommend PDK repair shop in most US states and most of other countries.

-Vlad
where in the UK pal ?
Old 04-06-2024, 11:36 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

And here is PART 2 of his series....

Old 04-06-2024, 12:24 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Just noticed he did a calibration video as well about 3 weeks ago... This guy is a smart one.

Old 04-06-2024, 02:12 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

One more on Error codes.

Old 04-17-2024, 06:08 AM
jjrichar
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tbozhilov
I recently experienced a PDK failure with my 991.1 4S. The car went into limp mode, only able to drive in 1st gear without reverse. The engine codes I encountered are as follows:
- P0700 - Fault in transition Control Unit
- P18B4 - PDK control unit, internal fault
- P1735 - Distance Sensor F. shift Rod F. Gears 4/6
- P1731 - Displ. Sensor F. Shift Rod F. Gears 4/6
- 00A016 - Warning: Check Engine

After replacing the Gear shift rod position sensor (distance sensor), the car was back on the road for a few days. However, there was a noticeable kick when using the kick down to accelerate quickly, indicating that a recalibration was necessary.

Following recalibration with PIWIS 3, the car failed again, this time displaying Engine Code P1870, which couldn't be cleared. We then proceeded to order a new transmission computer. After replacement, the gearbox calibrated, but the car wouldn't move. When attempting to accelerate in drive or reverse, the car remained stationary and didn't rev beyond 1200-1500 rpm. Although we were able to clear Engine Code P1870, it reappeared. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Was it definitely an engine code, or a transmission code? There is a P1870 for the transmission, which is below. Did you attempt another calibration? If not, I'd be trying this, as this code says the data for the shift rod cal is incorrect or missing.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:30 AM
Chris Green1
1st Gear

Thanks so much for this post, I have spent a whole night reading it for any clues to a huge problem with a PDK

My issue started out with a simple PDK fluid flush, the tech used Autel for the bleed process, he test drove for 2 miles and was fine, customer called back right away saying the shifts were jerky, he brings it back and its very jerky 8/10 under shifts first thing we thought was under filled so the tech added a 0.5 QT and no change he tried the calibration process with the Autel and it kept failing, he tried using a bootleg PIWIS and that's when it all went to hell and became none drivable after getting this incorrect calibration fault code . I found a similar case on another forum but he took it to the dealer and the OE tool was able to complete the process, we tried taking it to the dealer to perform a calibration and they have the same results with the OE PIWIS failed at the hydraulic teach-in process. I found a YouTube video where a DIYer did the same thing and someone was able to remote in and fix it. Any leads would be great! FYI I am now using the virtual machine through Porsche direct that's what these screenshots are from.

I nhave read post 481 which seems like same problem but he never posted back any results.

1251 wipe it clean!!! tried this also.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:19 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

What errors are showing in the VAL?
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 04-23-2024, 10:11 PM
Lostpilot28
AutoX

Hey guys, yesterday I got the "Possible R gear fault Driving permitted" message, along with "Engine control fault Consult a workshop Driving Permitted". I used my bluetooth OBDII adapter with the Torque app and got a P1733, but when I use the iCarSoft diagnostic tool I don't get any faults. I have disconnected the negative terminal on the battery a couple times to "reset" the ECU/TCU, but the problem persists.

Like everyone else with the P173x code, the car won't move forward or backward, and if it's in D or M, the "2" just blinks erratically. <-- I've looked through tons of posts, and I'm not seeing that anyone is getting the blinking gear "2" that I am...so I'm suspicious of what my error actually is.

For the record, I'm in a base Cayman 718 2.0 (2017 model year). The battery is fully charged and the car has been driving well for 77,000 miles.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I should take to confirm what the issue is? Does the blinking "2" mean anything, or is that typical with the Distance Sensor fault? I really don't want to spend $1900 on the T-design sensor and have it turn out to be the valve body or something.

Is it worth it to have the car towed to a dealership/repair shop to put the PIWIS on it just to confirm it's the Distance Sensor, or is getting the P1733 code a sure indicator that the sensor is toast? Just not sure what to try next.

Thank you for any suggestions or help!

Old 04-23-2024, 10:15 PM
Q Taro
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

What a great thread. Thank you PV997 and jjrichar's videos are so informative.

I'm trying to figure out my PDK issue.
2011 Porsche 911 (997.2) C2S PDK 110K Miles.
Having trouble engaging in odd numbered gears - 1,3,5,and 7. Slight hestation (revving) or light clunk or slap when engaging. If accelerating and manually shifting, no issue.
Recently had PDK service as a first step in hopes of a remedy. No change.
My theory (or guess) is a sticky clutch 1 solenoid? Or could it be a worn clutch needing calibration?
I'm about to install a new valve body as the next step.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
Please share your wisdom @PV997 et al. ...

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission