Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 01:11 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Oh my gosh, I just hit the jackpot. I've been doing google searches of terms specific to the PDK internals hoping to find some additional documentation. I stumbled across a Porsche aftersales document for drivetrain repair training. Apparently this is used by the factory to train technicians. It has a 22 page section on the PDK including explanations of the clutch operation, details on the valve body, and the location and functions of all the sensors. It's an amazing resource with important details and beautiful color illustrations of the key transmission components. It has particularly good details on the valve body internals.

I've included it as the third attachment to the original post. I sure wish I had this before writing the post as it explains much of the stuff I figured out by studying photos and drawings. Doesn't look like I got anything wrong which is encouraging. Something like this might make an indy more willing to attempt a repair as its information straight from the factory.

Edit: This an excerpt from a larger document covering many different model drivetrains. There are no markings anywhere in the document listing it as proprietary, copyrighted, or otherwise restricted in its dissemination.
Feel free to add some of the illustrations to your original post, if you have time. It will help us visual learners
Old 12-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Sir Ducer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is priceless, sort of!
I've been babying the PDK and maintaining it with fluid flushes and calibrations in hope that it would last a Long time.
This thread would be sticky before the end of the week......
Old 12-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Oh my gosh, I just hit the jackpot. I've been doing google searches of terms specific to the PDK internals hoping to find some additional documentation.
You've seen the Porsche Mobile Technical Library files, right? There's a massive amount of additional PDK diagnostic info in there. Google will probably bring up a link where these files can be downloaded and/or purchased.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:36 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,523 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
You've seen the Porsche Mobile Technical Library files, right? There's a massive amount of additional PDK diagnostic info in there. Google will probably bring up a link where these files can be downloaded and/or purchased.
Thanks Noah, I hadn't seen them but I have now (all 2.6 GB)! Great stuff but I need to sort through it and figure out what's most relevant. I had seen some excerpts from the t-shooting documents previously but never the full document. Do you know the history of this collection? None of them are marked as proprietary, are they in the public domain?
Old 12-12-2019, 11:38 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Feel free to add some of the illustrations to your original post, if you have time. It will help us visual learners
I'll be updating the post over the weekend to add additional material.
The following users liked this post:
snaphappy (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 01:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,056 Likes on 741 Posts

I'll be updating the post over the weekend to add additional material.
Impressive post and that's an understatement even if you don't update it. Way above my pay grade though for a garage project but with any luck it might open the door for Porsche dealerships or indys to be allowed to start repairing these things instead of shipping them back to Germany every time one fails. Thanks for what looks like quiet an effort.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:12 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 787 Posts

Just thought about this. Jay Leno tore a PDK apart on his channel. That video might look different now ...

Old 12-13-2019, 02:42 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

And one more four oil drain and fill without the PIWIS ...

Old 12-13-2019, 02:51 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

And one more DIY with a twist (or a tilt) ...

Old 12-13-2019, 02:59 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Thanks Noah, I hadn't seen them but I have now (all 2.6 GB)! Great stuff but I need to sort through it and figure out what's most relevant. I had seen some excerpts from the t-shooting documents previously but never the full document. Do you know the history of this collection? None of them are marked as proprietary, are they in the public domain?
Good question, I have no idea what their provenance is. The documents are obviously owned by Porsche AG in the default Berne Convention copyright sense, but they don't appear to be issuing takedown orders or sending out nasty letters as far as I'm aware.

I probably wouldn't distribute them publicly without permission, but as long as somebody else does, I don't mind taking advantage...
Old 12-13-2019, 04:43 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

The main reason I started researching this was for my own peace of mind. There is so much misinformation out there on the PDK it is hard to believe. Right now there’s a 16-page post at the top of Rennlist titled “PDK problems require full replacement”. I don’t blame the thread starter as I’m sure that was what he was told but that title is nonsense. This is why so many PDK owners think they are just one $10 part failure from a 20 thousand dollar repair job. Oh, and there are many such $10 parts within this magical sealed box so it’s pretty much a ticking time bomb that could blow at any moment. Your only hope is to baby it and drop $5k on an extended warranty. No thank you, if I’m going to shell out five grand it will be for an upgraded exhaust and ECU tune, something I can actually enjoy.

This originated with Porsche AG of course, but I lay the blame for this squarely on the dealerships. They are the ones we deal with, not the suits in Stuttgart. Service advisers are the ones telling people that all is lost and they must know better (and if they don’t know better they should be fired for incompetence). Seriously, does the idea of a $20k disposable transmission make any sense, doesn't it smell like obvious BS? Everything in the post I found online through studying open source material. I’m an aerospace engineer not a transmission expert (though I’ve worked on a few) yet I was able to piece together what’s inside the unit, what’s replaceable, how to get parts, and summarize it. How can a dealer service adviser, who deals with these things every day, not at least suspect that what he’s telling people isn't true? Has he ever looked into what he’s being spoon-fed from Porsche? Not all 911 owners are independently wealthy, most of us work pretty hard for our money. Twenty grand may not break the bank, but it will hurt, and I’d prefer to not throw it away if I don’t have to.

Hopefully people will continue to add useful info in the comments (thanks for the videos Wayne!) and I’ll update the post with additional detail as we figure more things out. My goal is to make this post an information repository for PDK owners to either DIY or work with an indy to get it fixed. I doubt we’ll ever see a policy change from Porsche, but it would be good see enough owners taking this into their own hands that the dealerships take notice.

Last edited by PV997; 12-13-2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: too salty in a few places
The following 3 users liked this post by PV997:
Janton9736 (12-30-2019), Sk8Flyer (02-11-2021), tapcon (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

You have to look at how the incentives are aligned. The dealers get paid for going along with the program. Boat-rocking is not part of the business model at a successful Porsche franchise.

Most customers will pay the piper with little pushback. The extended-warranty companies are in a good position to push back, but apparently PDK failures aren't common enough to be a major headache for them.

Plus, most dealer techs are as helpless as a third-grader if they aren't staring at a code on a screen that tells them exactly what to do. Do you really want them taking your transmission apart? The best use of this information is in the hands of DIYers and qualified indy techs, IMO. I wouldn't look for anything to change at the dealership level. It's just not in their nature.
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (05-26-2020)
Old 12-13-2019, 07:55 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
You have to look at how the incentives are aligned. The dealers get paid for going along with the program. Boat-rocking is not part of the business model at a successful Porsche franchise.
You're right of course, just a little bit of venting on my part. Personally I'd have a hard time telling people they needed to drop $15k or more if I knew it could be repaired for far less than that. Reading stories of people selling their car at near roller prices when the PDK could have been fixed is not good. Plus it could damage resale vales as these cars get older. Hopefully we can change that.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:38 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I think once this thread produces some solid DIY guides I’ll feel A LOT better.

I’ve dropped transmission pans on several cars and cleaned the magnets. Anxious to see how much more complicated PDK DIY really is.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:18 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,056 Likes on 741 Posts

The main reason I started researching this was for my own peace of mind. There is so much misinformation out there on the PDK it is hard to believe. Right now there’s a 16-page post at the top of Rennlist titled “PDK problems require full replacement”. I don’t blame the thread starter as I’m sure that was what he was told but that title is nonsense. This is why so many PDK owners think they are just one $10 part failure from a 20 thousand dollar repair job. Oh, and there are many such $10 parts within this magical sealed box so it’s pretty much a ticking time bomb that could blow at any moment. Your only hope is to baby it and drop $5k on an extended warranty. No thank you, if I’m going to shell out five grand it will be for an upgraded exhaust and ECU tune, something I can actually enjoy..
FWIW....the way it was explained to me by my service advisor when my -09 PDK failed was that it may well be a $10 or $100 part that's failed. His techs know how to open the unit up and could with little doubt figure out how to repair it. The problem is that Stuttgart won't allow them to open the units up so if they do and then order internal parts that are not officially available even to the dealerships, you can see how there would be discussions.

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission