Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Scammer on the web. Beware! (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1170709-scammer-on-the-web-beware.html)

gcthree 11-21-2019 11:16 PM

Scammer on the web. Beware!

While searching for the car I bought, I found an '06 Carrera S Club Coupe on Cars.com. It was listed for $38,500, which seemed utterly improbable. But I dropped a 'I'm interested' note for the heck of it. The email car back from the seller indicating that he was now living in Montreal as a pilot for First Air. His name: Christopher Collin Robinette. He signed over the title to the car, gave the keys and the car to a broker in Rochester Hills, Michigan and was permitting him to broker a quick sale. The Carfax was clean showing one owner until Robinette bought it. Hmmm? I indicated that I wanted the car and would provide a deposit and close the deal in a week when the sale of my Esprit was transacted. The seller authorized the broker to hold the car for me and no deposit was needed. I began to do more research on Club Coupes and found prices all over the lot depending on mileage. Nonetheless, $38,500 was seemingly a steal even though the car had 59,000 miles on it.

I found that this car was sold a year ago on BAT for $72k, which aligned with when Robinette had bought it, but there was the red flag.

The name Robinette seemed all too familiar, and a search uncovered his personal website showing that he was a retired Air Force pilot who flew for Southwest. Searching through his site, the bell finally rung; Rob Robinette put together the 'bible' of 3rd Gen RX7 web sites with comprehensive information at the very same time I owned a '93 twin turbo and had frequently referenced Rob's site for guidance. I found another email address on the site and dropped a note to Rob at that address inquiring whether he owned a 911 and was he selling it. You got it! Rob doesn't own a Porsche and was not aware that his identity was being used in the scam. A quick Google street view showed that there was no dealership, and the online photos was stolen from a business in Germany (https://hollmann.international/) and repurposed them to create the fictitious www.hollmanngroup.com. They were not interested in my deposit...they wanted to make-off with $38k.

The web is a place where so many things can be foisted on unsuspecting folks.....It's also the place that you can (with a little research) uncover these scammers.

Spread it around. Any suggestions on how to bring an agency down on this guy?

Bob

linderpat 11-22-2019 08:58 AM

A car that sold at auction for $72K a year ago and now for sale for $38K screams scam. There is no such thing as a "steal" like that. That's the real red flag.

westlake10 11-22-2019 10:47 AM

I've actually spoken with this scammer on the phone. We got into quite the shouting match (well, it was more him going off on a barely-understandable profanity-filled rant about how I can't "do ****" about the scam). Feel free to call or text him here's his number: 438-896-3037

jkoravos 11-22-2019 11:34 AM

Is Rob Robinette's real name Christopher? That's where I'm confused.

I mean, it's an obvious scam so anyone seriously looking for a 911 shouldn't fall for it but someone not familiar with the cars might. I'm not sure what you can do, especially if the guy is out of the country. Inform the company hosting the website that it is a scam?

Any indication where the guy may be from based on interactions with him?

lol, scam youtube advertising videos.

Someone has put a lot of effort into this scam. Still...it's still extremely obvious that it is a scam.

jkoravos 11-22-2019 11:37 AM

OMG, 100% 5-star reviews! :roflmao:

https://birdeye.com/hollmann-group-1...0048144?page=3

adamo 11-22-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by westlake10 (Post 16246234)
I've actually spoken with this scammer on the phone. We got into quite the shouting match (well, it was more him going off on a barely-understandable profanity-filled rant about how I can't "do ****" about the scam). Feel free to call or text him here's his number: 438-896-3037

Step 1) Download dick pics from the internet
Step 2) Text them to the number above
Step 3) Giggle like an idiot

larrysb 11-23-2019 04:15 PM

Wow, that's an elaborate scam!

sandwedge 11-24-2019 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by westlake10 (Post 16246234)

This is what I don't get about how these con artists keep getting away with what would be difficult to describe as anything but outright fraud. With no consequences. The guy referenced to above is easily contacted by phone but still no obvious adverse effect on his business practices.

Donny87 11-25-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by sheepdog (Post 16251101)
Was weird seeing a posting mentioning this guy 'Robinette'.....I was searching for a Tesla Model S with specific equipment & a specific color combination
and guess what - I found one. Just one and it was a posting from him. Just like you indicated, he was a pilot and in Canada and 'gave' the car to this Hollmann
Group along with power of attorney, signed title, etc.
I actually talked to one of their ( Hollmann's) reps, who I must say, seemed very helpful....Said he did have the title ( signed by Robinette ) and did have the
car in their ( Hollmann's ) possession along with all the proper owner manuals.
That was last Fridary ( 11/22/19 ).
What I plan to do now is see if they ( Hollman ) will take payment in the form of a "sight draft" or have my bank transfer funds directly into their ( Hollman's )
bank account in reserve. - It'll be interesting to see the response I get AND even more interesting to see if I actually get the car.
Payment using one of these methods, protects me and also gives the seller protection in the form of a guarantee that the funds are good and available once
I'd release them.
I live in the Northwest Suburban area of Chicago and according to Hollman's representative, shipment to me, via enclosed carrier, would be the same day the
car would leave their facility.
I'll post the results of all of this within a few days !!

This post seems pretty suspect. This guy joins Rennlist today just to post how good his experience with Hollman is going? I'm sure he'll report back it went great.

dgjks6 11-25-2019 09:36 AM

Holy crap that guys good. Makes it sound like he gets protected by a sight draft.

CAVU 11-25-2019 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by dgjks6 (Post 16251209)
Holy crap that guys good. Makes it sound like he gets protected by a sight draft.

It must be true...he put it in writing. ;)

:corn:

Steph1 11-25-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Donny87 (Post 16251166)
This post seems pretty suspect. This guy joins Rennlist today just to post how good his experience with Hollman is going? I'm sure he'll report back it went great.

Since you just called him on it, if you are right, my guess is that this was his last post 😏

Balr14 11-25-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sheepdog (Post 16251101)
Was weird seeing a posting mentioning this guy 'Robinette'.....I was searching for a Tesla Model S with specific equipment & a specific color combination
and guess what - I found one. Just one and it was a posting from him. Just like you indicated, he was a pilot and in Canada and 'gave' the car to this Hollmann
Group along with power of attorney, signed title, etc.
I actually talked to one of their ( Hollmann's) reps, who I must say, seemed very helpful....Said he did have the title ( signed by Robinette ) and did have the
car in their ( Hollmann's ) possession along with all the proper owner manuals.
That was last Fridary ( 11/22/19 ).
What I plan to do now is see if they ( Hollman ) will take payment in the form of a "sight draft" or have my bank transfer funds directly into their ( Hollman's )
bank account in reserve. - It'll be interesting to see the response I get AND even more interesting to see if I actually get the car.
Payment using one of these methods, protects me and also gives the seller protection in the form of a guarantee that the funds are good and available once
I'd release them.
I live in the Northwest Suburban area of Chicago and according to Hollman's representative, shipment to me, via enclosed carrier, would be the same day the
car would leave their facility.
I'll post the results of all of this within a few days !!

You live in Chicago and you are NOT going to drive to Rochester Hills, Michigan, which is about a 3 hour drive???

jkoravos 11-25-2019 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Donny87 (Post 16251166)

I'm really looking forward to hearing how his make believe experience went!

JACK PRINGLE 11-25-2019 10:53 PM

Did anybody here visited this place, or is this a conclusion based on past experience? cause I talked to this people today and not for a second did they tried to not make me visit the place... what is the point in them doing all of this and how is it possible to have 163 reviews on birdeye and all of them fake?? listed on every business directory possible, phone numbers, address, website, all public and nobody takes down such an obvious business if it is a scam?? I do not want to offend anyone I simply came here after I've googled Hollmann and saw this post, and I was planning to go there this Friday...

workhurts 11-25-2019 11:14 PM

Seems like it would be pretty simple to call the German guy in the purple plaid suit from Hollmann Intl and ask him why his pictures are all over the Hollmann Group site.

JACK PRINGLE 11-25-2019 11:49 PM

But it is more than simple, and they said that Hollmann Group is the same company that is headquartered in Germany and has also a branch in Dubai... my question was, did anyone actually went there? am I wasting my time going? or are all of this conclusions purely online. I mean, you'll find millions that say they have been scammed by eBay or PayPal, but those people don't understand that eBay was simply the name used as a front to scam them, it was people who had nothing to do with those companies that scammed them along with them being weak minded. So what I am asking myself is if the company is a scam, or just this guy mentioned here who calls himself Christopher whatever, as I had no encounter with no Christopher of any sort. I guess I will go there anyways and see for myself, they haven't asked me for anything upfront and nothing, they were quite OK with me visiting them, anybody here can call them, not this guy, the company, and see what I mean.

dgjks6 11-26-2019 12:52 AM

Wow. So I'm bored at work and looked into this. They have a wide internet presence. Twitter, website, manta, Birdseye. All with 5 star reviews and all starting less than 2 months ago. I did the google earth map and the pics there don't match their showroom on the website.

Either this is a legit business with great funding and getting a great collection of cars all in less than 60 days

Or this is the most elaborate scam I have ever seen.

Someone please go there and check it out and see if it is for real.

jkoravos 11-26-2019 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by dgjks6 (Post 16253037)
Wow. So I'm bored at work and looked into this. They have a wide internet presence. Twitter, website, manta, Birdseye. All with 5 star reviews and all starting less than 2 months ago. I did the google earth map and the pics there don't match their showroom on the website.

Either this is a legit business with great funding and getting a great collection of cars all in less than 60 days

Or this is the most elaborate scam I have ever seen.

Someone please go there and check it out and see if it is for real.

​​​​​​​And two people joined this forum today to just throw uncertainty on whether or not it is a scam. What an unbelievable coincidence.

boisenelson 11-26-2019 01:22 AM

They are a total scam. They have craigslist ads posted nationwide. I responded to one to see what would come back and below was the email I received....I also reached out to the Michigan Secretary of State today and they are not registered in the state of Michigan as a dealer or broker. There is a Holman group (legitimate dealer) that has a valid dealer license, but not Hollmann.

Christopher Collin Robinette

to me
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Wed, Nov 24, 10:52 AM
I have the GT4 now at Hollmann Group in Rochester Hills MI, with the title, signed by me, keys and all the docs, and I have empowered them to transfer ownership on my behalf. You can inspect it and than pick it up from this location Mon to Fri from 9 to 5 EDT.
If you do not have that possibility you can also do it online and have it shipped to you. You will make payment to them, they will secure your payment and ship the vehicle (all shipping charges will be covered by me). You will receive it, inspect it for 7 days and if you accept it, they will pay me and transfer the title to your name, if not, they will pick it up from you and refund your full payment. To go ahead you will need to Start the Purchase on their website: www.hollmanngroup.com using my reference number (WVMPSM76RU).
You have Free Carfax and Inspection Report available on my listing: https://www.hollmanngroup.com/invent...AC2A84GK191707

Hollmann Group Michigan: 2534 Product Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309
Phone: (248) 509-8125

Regards,
Mobile: +1 (438) 896-3037

dgjks6 11-26-2019 01:23 AM

But damn it is elaborate. I guess if they get one $60,000 check for a couple months work it's with it. Their twitter shows their showroom in Michigan but it's actually a video of the showroom in Germany

I guess we all look at scammers as stupid lazy worthless sloths, but if you look at it as a job and do it for hours a day you can create a lot of fake stuff for free.

alexb76 11-26-2019 03:44 AM

It's insanely elaborate, they even have social media sites

https://twitter.com/HollmannGroup

I contacted the German company to let em know.

westlake10 11-26-2019 07:35 AM

I think he (they?) has since changed it, but a couple months ago when I started investigating this scam, I found that the "executive team" on the Hollmann group website was lifted directly from Edmunds.com, same photos and all. Tbh this kind of thing would be relatively quick and easy to put together if you had a month or so of free time. As someone else said, all it takes is one or two people to fall for it and you're set.

RGS 11-26-2019 10:48 AM

Wow!!! That is elaborate, but westlake is right, wouldn't take much time to put up a couple of social media accounts a video and a website.

Donny87 11-26-2019 03:06 PM

Maybe this guy can give you a better deal on that GT4. They even have one with the SAME PICTURES (with watermark removed) AND VIN!! http://www.evanpaulmotorcars.com/car/271-porsche-cayman

That dealership is in California. I also found a GT3 RS on the Evan Paul Motorcars site that was listed for sale on the Hollman site. Also a GTR. I wonder what else...

linderpat 11-26-2019 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by JACK PRINGLE (Post 16252835)
Did anybody here visited this place, or is this a conclusion based on past experience? cause I talked to this people today and not for a second did they tried to not make me visit the place... what is the point in them doing all of this and how is it possible to have 163 reviews on birdeye and all of them fake?? listed on every business directory possible, phone numbers, address, website, all public and nobody takes down such an obvious business if it is a scam?? I do not want to offend anyone I simply came here after I've googled Hollmann and saw this post, and I was planning to go there this Friday...

Originally Posted by boisenelson (Post 16253058)
They are a total scam. They have craigslist ads posted nationwide. I responded to one to see what would come back and below was the email I received....I also reached out to the Michigan Secretary of State today and they are not registered in the state of Michigan as a dealer or broker. There is a Holman group (legitimate dealer) that has a valid dealer license, but not Hollmann.

to me
Wed, Nov 24, 10:52 AM
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gifhttps://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gifI have the GT4 now at Hollmann Group in Rochester Hills MI, with the title, signed by me, keys and all the docs, and I have empowered them to transfer ownership on my behalf. You can inspect it and than pick it up from this location Mon to Fri from 9 to 5 EDT.
If you do not have that possibility you can also do it online and have it shipped to you. You will make payment to them, they will secure your payment and ship the vehicle (all shipping charges will be covered by me). You will receive it, inspect it for 7 days and if you accept it, they will pay me and transfer the title to your name, if not, they will pick it up from you and refund your full payment. To go ahead you will need to Start the Purchase on their website: www.hollmanngroup.com using my reference number (WVMPSM76RU).
You have Free Carfax and Inspection Report available on my listing: https://www.hollmanngroup.com/invent...AC2A84GK191707

Hollmann Group Michigan: 2534 Product Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309

Regards,
Mobile: +1 (438) 896-3037

Is it just me or does anyone else see rather irregular syntax in the narratives? This screams scam, and the scammer is watching us closely:icon107:
These scum bags make me sick.

Donny87 11-26-2019 05:29 PM

Syntax is weird and there’s also spelling and grammar errors. It’s common with scammer, who are often outside of the US

Iceter 11-26-2019 05:48 PM

Mr. Pringle, I have car for which you are looking for. Owner has signed title and given me full power of attorneys to facilitate the sale on his behalfs. It is simple matter for you to place $30,000 deposit in cash in trash can locate on corner of 3rd street and MLK Boulevard. Your money is safe and held in escrews until you find you are fully satisfied with you vehicle. We are trustable and have large social media presence. Please browse our website at porschecars.com.

PS, I very enjoy your potato chips.

Yours much truly,
Frito Wakanda.

gcthree 11-26-2019 09:52 PM

Red Flags? How about the 997 GT3 for $65,000???

sambeerbmw 12-02-2019 09:57 PM

My wife and I just did a deep dive after finding a CL ad in Indianapolis. It is for sure a total scam. Does anyone know if there is a way to flag ads across CL since folks above have found them all over the country? It is a good scam for sure and would love to help out others from falling in. Thoughts?

Sam

fastb4ck 12-05-2019 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by sambeerbmw (Post 16265585)
My wife and I just did a deep dive after finding a CL ad in Indianapolis. It is for sure a total scam. Does anyone know if there is a way to flag ads across CL since folks above have found them all over the country? It is a good scam for sure and would love to help out others from falling in. Thoughts?

Sam

I saw the same one, and was curious...and guess what? lol I got the same email but with a different name now.
Here is the email:

I have the car now at Hollmann Group in Rochester Hills MI, with the title, signed by me, keys and all the docs, and I have empowered them to transfer ownership on my behalf. You can inspect it and than pick it up from this location Mon to Fri from 9 to 5 EDT. If you do not have that possibility you can also do it online and have it shipped to you. You will make payment to them, they will secure your payment and ship the vehicle (all shipping charges will be covered by me). You will receive it, inspect it for 7 days and if you accept it, they will pay me and transfer the title to your name, if not, they will pick it up from you and refund your full payment. To go ahead you will need to Start the Purchase on their website: www.hollmanngroup.com using my reference number (OGGRQENFWU).

Hollmann Group address: 2534 Product Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309

Regards,
Scott O'Connor
Mobile: +1 (438) 795-1273

Fabio421 12-09-2019 03:43 PM

I too have had a run in with these guys. This time it was a 6 speed 2002 996tt coupe advertised on Richmond, VA Craigslist. This car had around 50k miles and the asking price was $28,500. I was looking for a cabriolet but for that price and mileage they had my interest. Anyway, same story. The guy claims he was a pilot for "First Air" and that he was now in Canada but that he had left the car at a broker, Hollman Group, in Michigan. The text of his last email is below. I had already thought there was something amiss but now I know for sure. So textbook scammy. LOL

"I have the car now at Hollmann Group in Rochester Hills MI, with the title, signed by me, keys and all the docs, and I have empowered them to transfer ownership on my behalf. You can inspect it and than pick it up from this location Mon to Fri from 9 to 5 EDT.
If you do not have that possibility you can also do it online and have it shipped to you. You will make payment to them, they will secure your payment and ship the vehicle (all shipping charges will be covered by me). You will receive it, inspect it for 7 days and if you accept it, they will pay me and transfer the title to your name, if not, they will pick it up from you and refund your full payment. To go ahead you will need to Start the Purchase on their website: www.hollmanngroup.com using my reference number (XXXXXXXXXXXX).

You have detailed description and Free Carfax & Inspection Report available on my listing: https://www.hollmanngroup.com/invent...AB29962S685298

Phone: (248) 509-8125"

gcthree 12-09-2019 09:40 PM

Saw that, too! But the 1st picture (and of course this price) was the giveaway that it was a scam: there are no palm trees in Richmond.

So, how do we take this guy down?? I called and reported him to the FTC, and they requested that I also register a complaint with the FBI (IC3?). Seems to me that the actual Hollmann International in Germany cannot be too happy about them using their photos on their bogus website?
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...37a7b35623.jpg

Originally Posted by Fabio421 (Post 16279411)
I too have had a run in with these guys. This time it was a 6 speed 2002 996tt coupe advertised on Richmond, VA Craigslist. This car had around 50k miles and the asking price was $28,500. I was looking for a cabriolet but for that price and mileage they had my interest. Anyway, same story. The guy claims he was a pilot for "First Air" and that he was now in Canada but that he had left the car at a broker, Hollman Group, in Michigan. The text of his last email is below. I had already thought there was something amiss but now I know for sure. So textbook scammy. LOL

"I have the car now at Hollmann Group in Rochester Hills MI, with the title, signed by me, keys and all the docs, and I have empowered them to transfer ownership on my behalf. You can inspect it and than pick it up from this location Mon to Fri from 9 to 5 EDT.
If you do not have that possibility you can also do it online and have it shipped to you. You will make payment to them, they will secure your payment and ship the vehicle (all shipping charges will be covered by me). You will receive it, inspect it for 7 days and if you accept it, they will pay me and transfer the title to your name, if not, they will pick it up from you and refund your full payment. To go ahead you will need to Start the Purchase on their website: www.hollmanngroup.com using my reference number (XXXXXXXXXXXX).

You have detailed description and Free Carfax & Inspection Report available on my listing: https://www.hollmanngroup.com/invent...AB29962S685298

Phone: (248) 509-8125"

mr_scsi 12-10-2019 11:52 AM

This web site is a Panama registration.

These guys have spent some money making this quite believable to average casual lookers.

The address is not an actual dealership, so you would never be able to see the vehicle.

Emails received read like form letters and never answer any specific questions.

All photos of cars are of a low resolution and hve no metadata attached.

A scam on the high order.

Good catch guys!

Iceter 12-10-2019 12:10 PM

As elaborate as this seems to be, is there anyone who would read the initial email and NOT immediately know this is a.scam? I mean, really, he offers to ship a car at his cost, hold your money and refund it after 7 days if you're not happy--and then pay for shipping back--again, on his dime.

The whole 'I gave a third party power to sign on my behalf' bit is textbook scammer as well.

Then, there's the price... .

The detective work here is very interesting, but I feel like anyone who actually falls for that has more money than sense.

Steph1 12-10-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by gcthree (Post 16280149)
Saw that, too! But the 1st picture (and of course this price) was the giveaway that it was a scam: there are no palm trees in Richmond.

So, how do we take this guy down?? I called and reported him to the FTC, and they requested that I also register a complaint with the FBI (IC3?). Seems to me that the actual Hollmann International in Germany cannot be too happy about them using their photos on their bogus website?
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...37a7b35623.jpg

Don't want to be the Devil's avocate, but the pics could have been taken while the guy was on vacation in Florida or something. And is the Hollman group scammers, or are scammers using their name to sound solid ???

alexkroeger 12-10-2019 03:29 PM

The scammer is also going by Scott O'Connor at (438)795-1273. Same story. Craigslist post here: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto...022880426.html

I contacted the scammer just to ask why the price was so low. Wasn't interested in a soft top :)! I was already on edge, but his first email back (which didn't address my questions in the slightest and offered wayyyyy too much unwanted information) made it clear the listing is fraudulent.

crazeazn 01-05-2020 02:34 AM

My alarm bells went off too and thank god for Rennlist. I saw this ad: https://austin.craigslist.org/for/d/...025464177.html and replied to it.

Same spiel, got a reply via email from a380@pilotsfirstair.com:
"Hi, the GT4 is still available for $68,500. It has 4,950 miles, VIN# WP0AC2A84GK192758, clean title, no accidents and no money owing on it, selling only because I am in need of cash fast to put a down payment on a new house. I have left the car with a broker, with all the paperwork (title signed by me, keys) since I am currently in Montreal, Canada with my new work contract as a pilot for First Air. Let me know if you are interested so I can put you in contact with them so you can inspect it. More pictures: XYZ. I have attached the Carfax & Inspection Report

Regards,
Matthew Taylor"

1. The email URL AND redirect struck me as odd; did a WHOIS on it. It was registered last November-ish in Panama (SCAM!).
2. Did a VIN search and realized the photos he sent were from another dealer, San Francisco Sports Cars which shows the car the as Sale Pending with 1363 miles. This doesn't show up on the CarFAX report he attached. https://sanfranciscosportscars.com/v...che-cayman-gt4 (SCAM!!)
3. Oh, 4950 miles matches with the "broker" here: https://www.hollmanngroup.com/invent...AC2A84GK192758
4. The above url was also registered around the same time in Panama (SCAM!!!)
5. The "staff" listed in the above url seem to be real? people working for the real? dealer in Germany, https://hollmann.international based on a cursory LinkedIn search.
6. The scammer's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoP...PtA-t26PfvfL-w seems to be stealing videos from the real guys too! Their "Michigan" showroom video shows a bunch of cars with Euro style plate supports. (SCAM!!!!)
7. The listed address is: 2534 Product Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309 There isn't a car dealership there according to google maps. (SCAM!!!!!)
8. They even registered their business on Yelp!

I'm sure the attached Carfax was photoshopped. Sheesh

Well that was fun.

FORENN 01-05-2020 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Iceter (Post 16281168)
As elaborate as this seems to be, is there anyone who would read the initial email and NOT immediately know this is a.scam? I mean, really, he offers to ship a car at his cost, hold your money and refund it after 7 days if you're not happy--and then pay for shipping back--again, on his dime.

The whole 'I gave a third party power to sign on my behalf' bit is textbook scammer as well.

Then, there's the price... .

The detective work here is very interesting, but I feel like anyone who actually falls for that has more money than sense.

This. The scam is elaborate, but still quite obvious.

groovzilla 01-05-2020 11:26 AM

Speaking of scams----> There is a guy who is selling Porsche in Vancouver BC & Blaine Wa.(Border town) who is super scammer.
I was totally up to speed w/his name/info etc but it has been a few years and can't remember the details but searching you will find the story on several 911 sites as well as early 911 forums.
He owns or owned an Antiques store in a small town just north of Vancouver.

This Douche Bag has ripped off Porsche buyers for close to $1million in fraudulent Porsche car sales, selling cars he does not have.
Most of the people he has taken prey are in Europe. A handful on East Coast.
One of his targets contacted me and went into detail how he was taken for $60K and he traveled to Vancouver from NY to find the guy and get his money. Apparently at the border the customs pricks went thru his laptop and found info related to the situation and would not allow him entry.
This scammer has been to court and they do nothing since Canada makes it tough to prosecute.
Outrageous how someone could have the balls to pull this off and be walking.
Always be careful.
Like I have always suggested, when buying a car on internet insist on copy of sellers drivers license, copy of title and copy of registration and make sure they all match.
*Then before ever sending money get sellers address and work address/contact and most important bank and bank manger contacts and call to confirm before sending deposit.
Also important, if buying a car that has a loan/lien on it, get copies of current payment stub/records and current payoff/etc and contact that bank to confirm all info.
No sh_t---> I always insist on gathering this info before I'd ever send anyone a dime. In my 40 or so out of state purchases I've never had an issue.

:biggulp:

jhbrennan 01-05-2020 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 16332927)
One of his targets contacted me and went into detail how he was taken for $60K and he traveled to Vancouver from NY to find the guy and get his money. Apparently at the border the customs pricks went thru his laptop and found info related to the situation and would not allow him entry.

I know the CBP folks can be pretty rigid but this just doesn't make any sense...why would they go through his laptop and what info could have been a red flag.

gcthree 01-05-2020 02:23 PM

This SOB's website is still up and operational. We need to sticky this on the cars for sale page of the forum to alert members, not just us 997 owners.

Bob

Socialpro 04-02-2020 03:41 PM

Came across the same ad in Phoenix today ----> Buyer Beware!! Same Car / Same VIN

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/f...098060113.html

' wp0ac2a84gk192758 '

lbpa18 04-04-2020 12:20 AM

Not as pricey but there is guy who calls himself David Peterson or David Murphy selling recaro Porsche seats. Goes by davidpeterson083@gmail.com or davidmurphy9008@gmail.com, or caseywilliams053@gmail.com, or enosjoyce402@gmail.com. His phone number is (857)316-4183. Complete "Confidence Man" sales pitch and hard sell. Then attempts bait and switch on arrangements. He operates using bitcoin and paypal family and friend gifts. Do Not send this guy any money.

Doug H 04-04-2020 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Socialpro (Post 16520606)
Came across the same ad in Phoenix today ----> Buyer Beware!! Same Car / Same VIN

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/f...098060113.html

' wp0ac2a84gk192758 '

I recognize that garage. That is a place in San Francisco. I tried to purchase a 2012 GTS from them, but they sold before it called . . . sold it within hours of listing it.