New Coilovers; Spring Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 02:20 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
Default New Coilovers; Spring Noise

Rennlisters,

I recently replaced my factory shocks/springs with Bilstein B16 coilovers. I replaced the shock mounts at the top (F and R) and replaced the bearings (F only). Before assembly, I added Lucas lithium grease to the bearings because I had heard from another poster (Bruce) that he had similar noise. About a month after doing the R&R, I started hearing spring creak noises when I turn the wheel. Any suggestions for fixing this that does not require removing the struts?

As always, thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,

Scott
Old 10-22-2019, 10:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

When I installed my B16 Damptronics, I used a greased thrust bearing below the spring on top of spring perch. This allows the spring to rotate a bit instead of bind up and then pop when it releases.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:09 PM
BruceWarne
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you need something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-2p...2-cccf84f3b311
Old 10-23-2019, 05:47 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

How does one keep dirt out of a thrust bearing like that and how does one find a thrust bearing that is able to handle the incredible weight that the spring perch experiences? I would imagine that hitting a bump hard would put a few.thousand pounds of momentary force on the bearing.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

This is the bearing number I used - AXK6085 60x85x3 Thrust Needle Bearings (same as that stated below)

All I can tell you is that mine have been installed for 5 or 6 years without any issues. Originally installed with some silicone grease. I don't know that they need to stay dirt free to serve their purpose in this application and would also imagine the load on them isn't that great since the spring should be absorbing much of that load - maybe if you were to bottom out the suspension there would be a lot of load.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

That’s cool. I would never have thought a needle thrust bearing could hold up to that kind of pounding.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:28 AM
Alessandro1965
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone and thanks for welcoming me to your forum. My name is Alessandro and I write from Italy.
I own a Cayman S 987.2 which has Bilstein B16 suspension with Eibach springs. I purchased the car from a Porsche service center that had installed the shocks. I immediately noticed a noise from springs when turning from a standstill or at low speed, a noise that increased over time (it almost seemed as if something was about to break). I did a web search and came across your forum where someone who had had the same problem solved it with AXK6085 radial thrust bearings and AS6085 washers. I therefore purchased these pieces and inserted them between the upper and lower springs of each individual front shock absorber. The noise has disappeared!! But the most surprising thing is that the car has become much more agile and fun, with much smoother and lighter steering.
The only doubt that comes to my mind is that, by inserting the radial bearing and fifth wheel, I should have raised the front axle by about 5 mm and therefore I am afraid of having modified the set-up and the movement of the center of gravity between the two axles, lightening the front end and loading the rear axle.
Do you think I should lower the front by 5 mm using the two screw washers at the base of the shock absorber?
In your opinion, could 5 mm have significantly changed the behavior of the car, making it understeer?
Thank you all

Quick Reply: New Coilovers; Spring Noise