Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does sound/loudness compare between .1 and .2 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts
Default How does sound/loudness compare between .1 and .2 C2S?

for those that are familiar with the exhaust note of the .1 vs the .2. A couple of questions. from what I have observed, I have a .1 C2S and buddy has .2 C2S, both cars with stock sport exhaust (or fister mod) it seems like the .1 is a bit louder and more aggressive sounding than the .2. He then got Shark Werks (or is it worx, works, werx??) center section and his is now louder than mine. Not sure if there is a similar mod for the .1 or not? I am not looking for HP gains (claims) or Loudness gains if it sacrifices HP or torque. Also not looking to replace mufflers, cats, or headers. I'd like a little more volume and aggressiveness, but not a ton.

If this has already been covered in a detailed link, let me know if you have the link. TIA!!
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:03 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 812 Likes on 457 Posts

I have a funny (or maybe not) story about this. When I got my 997.1 C2S, it had really dark ceramic tint and I needed it off. It just happened that I went to FD Motorsports for fister cans the week before I went to a tint shop to get it removed. Also by chance, while my tint was getting removed, a dude in a 997.2 GTS showed up with a center bypass and PSE that he said he had modded to be permanently open. We didn't really talk too much because he was picking out his tint and etc. but we sat together in the waiting room for a bit. I also didn't want to grill him on every mod and every brand of every mod but he did tell me about the center bypass and perma-open PSE. The waiting room faces the street. The cars are in back being worked on and parked on the side of the building. When they pulled his car in after a little bit, I thought it was my car coming out and started packing up my briefcase. About an hour later, when they pulled my car out, he thought it was his, stood up, and walked to the door. I guess that isn't funny. whatever. The point is, we couldn't tell the difference in sound when we couldn't see our cars and the sound was filtered through glass doors.

Last edited by jamesinger; 09-10-2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 118 Posts

I've had both a 997.1 S and a 997.2 S w/PSE, both in stock form (no other mods).

The 997.1 S in its single sound mode (non-PSE) always sounded just right to me, with a gruff growl, and not too loud, howl.

The 997.2 with PSE-off is quieter, which is likely by design since they introduced bluetooth phone call capabilities with the 997.2 and needed that calling feature to work well without being overpowered by exhaust noise. With PSE off, It is much more well mannered than the 997.1 S during early morning trips to the office/airport without disturbing the neighbors. That said, once I hit the PSE button to ON (which I do every time I get in), it wakes up quite a bit, and sounds very much like my earlier car, if not a tad louder, raspier, and with really good burble and pop on the deceleration. I like the 997.2 PSE-On sound the best, as it has a bit of an Italian/clean sound in its note, while still being gruff and slightly obnoxious in a great way. I've considered adding the Sharkwerks center bi-pass, but for me, the PSE-On mode actually does it just right IMHO.

(Note - the only exception was when I ran the 997.1 S with the headers-only/uncapped one day!!!! WOW!!!!)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:32 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Sport cats or cat deletes would open your exhaust up quite a bit. I have stock mufflers with no cat X-pipe. No drone. Decently loud..... I want to go louder, cause I'm a redneck lol.

Cw
Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have found that any car loses sound quality when it goes direct fuel injection.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:27 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
for those that are familiar with the exhaust note of the .1 vs the .2. A couple of questions. from what I have observed, I have a .1 C2S and buddy has .2 C2S, both cars with stock sport exhaust (or fister mod) it seems like the .1 is a bit louder and more aggressive sounding than the .2. He then got Shark Werks (or is it worx, works, werx??) center section and his is now louder than mine. Not sure if there is a similar mod for the .1 or not? I am not looking for HP gains (claims) or Loudness gains if it sacrifices HP or torque. Also not looking to replace mufflers, cats, or headers. I'd like a little more volume and aggressiveness, but not a ton.

If this has already been covered in a detailed link, let me know if you have the link. TIA!!
Your .1 doesn’t have a center muffler so there is no bypass for it. Only way to get it louder is to replace the items you said you’re not looking to replace with sport cats or louder mufflers.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Your .1 doesn’t have a center muffler so there is no bypass for it. Only way to get it louder is to replace the items you said you’re not looking to replace with sport cats or louder mufflers.
Thats kind of what I figured, which going with the cat situation, would make it MUCH louder, probably too loud for my taste
Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Thats kind of what I figured, which going with the cat situation, would make it MUCH louder, probably too loud for my taste
Cat bypasses would be a lot louder and would smell really bad but 200 cell cats would add volume without being too deafening, especially if you have PSE and can make it quieter when you want to. I’m sure there are plenty of videos out there you can sample.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

I've had both except my 997.1 C4S had a Tubi system installed so can't speak for the sound of a .1 car with stock exhaust. The Tubi on that car sounded amazing. For the .2 cars, they need a lot of exhaust work to sound right imo. Bone stock, side mufflers and center muffler untouched is ridiculously quiet for my taste. Addressing the side mufflers alone won't do it, nor will replacing the center muffler with x-pipes alone do it. That center muffler is very restrictive and must go along with the side mufflers. Lots of options here but point being is that on the .2, all three mufflers need attention.

The PSE/Sharkwerks setup I have on the GTS comes very close to the Tubi on the -06 C4S but there are are a lot of other options.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

My 2009 C2S immediatly struck me as sounding like a Buick... kinda like a Roadmaster but maybe more like the Skylark line. It is hard to tell exactly because I could barely hear the exhaust. Some say "exhaust note" but I don't know what that means because notes are sung and this car was whispering. I put on the Sharkwerks pipe and all is good now.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,760 Likes on 4,301 Posts

.1 cars sound better than .2 cars. As mentioned, for you to get your .1 louder, you'll have to change mufflers or cats. My wife's C2S has the gundo hack mufflers as the only mod and it sounds great. My car has a complete valvetronic Fabspeed muffler and it's phenomenal, but at probably 20x the price of her Gundo mod. I would start with a Gundo hack to your existing mufflers or Fisters, which are essentially the same thing but on a new set of Mufflers. If that's not enough, then 200 cell X-cats of high quality from a reputable company that uses HJS cats in their X-pipe - mine happen to be Fabspeed.

When first installed

After 6 years of FUN, aging and heat cycles

Old 09-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

997.1 with a PSE or Tubi stands among the best sounding 911's ever built. The 997.2 sounds like a hairdryer in comparison. Both great cars with their own advantages.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

On reading the above posts, it's kind of nice that the 997.1 might have at least one small advantage over the 997.2.

Quick Reply: How does sound/loudness compare between .1 and .2 C2S?