Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche becoming Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 06:49 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you mean the typical physique of the Harley drivers vs Porsche drivers.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:44 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

I went to a Lexus dealer years ago. Was looking to buy an SUV for my ex wife. I may have been in shorts and a T, but the sales people never assisted me, and when I finally went to the front desk to get assistance, the guy that came out asked me my monthly salary within 5 minutes. I went and bought an X5 instead.
The following users liked this post:
GTSence (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:53 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11

Do you mean the typical physique of the Harley drivers vs Porsche drivers.
Begs the question, which is which?
Old 07-27-2019, 09:23 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Uda880
Definitely agree with you on this one, although I've always found Lexus dealers to be the pinnacle of best sales and service experiences.
The Acura dealer I go to is also excellent on both sides. Knowing how to fix just about anything on a car, I don't tolerate BS from the service manager. Every service I've had done at the dealer has met my expectations. They know the cars and have provided both the required service and given a heads up about things I might want to look at going forward.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:34 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
Hard to say. Honestly, I never could figure out the Harley thing. Seemed like an excuse for accountants and insurance agents to wear pirate costumes and adorn their bikes with motorcycle jewelry. It seemed like their customer base largely refused any attempts to modernize the bikes.

The rise and fall of H-D follows their capture of a particular age demographic as that group reached a high level of disposable income. Now that group has passed the age where they are buying toys like motorcycles. H-D failed to connect with later generations, who associate the brand with old people.
The disappearance of the VRod Revolution engine is evidence of this. Better power and fuel efficiency than the nostalgic clunking air cooled, but killed off by lack of demand. Even though every other motorcycle company on the planet can sell water cooled engines just fine and Ducati is doing just fine with water cooled V-twins. Its why I think H-D dumping R&D into an electric motorcycle is the dumbest move they could possibly make. Who is gonna buy it?

I think Porsche has tried to remain relevant by offering both a variety of models and a high quality product and kept more accessible models like the 718/Macan in the portfolio. You might argue that H-D has tried to do the same, but all their bikes basically look the same, are extremely overweight compared to their competition and continue to cater to the nostalgic audience they already have (with new nostalgic audiences in Europe, evidently).
Old 07-27-2019, 10:26 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I got some codes and a check engine light on my 997. I called the dealer who had me make an appointment for a week later and said they would have to keep the car for at least a day and check everything over and possibly order parts. So I went to the Porsche speed shop that did my ecu tune and they checked the codes right away. They were both for an O2 sensor in the catalytic converter, probably due to the aftermarket exhaust. They reset the codes and said if they come back they would have to replace the O2 sensor. They did not come back. The dealer does very good work. But, wait a week just to check codes???
GTSence (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

OP is on point. Porsche is now a lifestyle brand. This has been mentioned several times by their marketing and PR teams.
GTSence (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:36 PM
Porsche cowboy
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
OP is on point. Porsche is now a lifestyle brand. This has been mentioned several times by their marketing and PR teams.
Sadly, I would have to agree. I was on the Porsche YouTube feed the other night and now the lifestyle videos “gone driving” with these hip and trendy millennials and their deep thoughts outnumber the actual car videos.

Come on Porsche. You are a sports car company not a hipster brand 🙄
Old 07-28-2019, 02:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
Begs the question, which is which?

Can only speak for where I live and based on that I'm afraid the guy on the left is the HD guy. The only thing unfair about that portrait is the missing cigarette between his lips.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:06 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the glory of capitalism. Get it right or fade. Even if I won the lottery I doubt I would buy a new Porsche. Patience in car buying generally yields gratifying discounts. I’m not a bike guy but I have friends who are and generally once they get a bike they are satisfied and don’t look to buy another. No doubt age plays a factor here in this decision making. I’m not sure the same necessarily applies to Porsche buying.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

I think they are somewhat alike because most buyers are from generation X that are fulfilling a dream as they see their 50's around the corner.

Biggest difference is that Porsche owners don't wear Porsche shirts, jeans, pants, underwear and everything else that makes the Harley owners such caricatural individuals. Heck, I know quite a few and they even adopt a bad boy attitude while dressed like that.

Porsche has its characters too, but that's another subject I guess.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:51 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 118 Posts

Sadly since rejoining VW group, Porsche has become another SUV company, now working to become an EV company, pushing “products”. They are relying on what we all hold on to, and wish they still were, a sports car company. I still love my 997, but see it as the last of the true “non-product” Porsches.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:57 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by anewman
Sadly since rejoining VW group, Porsche has become another SUV company, now working to become an EV company, pushing “products”. They are relying on what we all hold on to, and wish they still were, a sports car company. I still love my 997, but see it as the last of the true “non-product” Porsches.
Actually Porsche had to get into SUVs and sedans before they were taken over by VW. Sports cars are an extremely cyclical business and if that is all you make you are very often in a precarious situation. The Cayenne saved the company. The VW groups in now extracting the full value of the Porsche brand by expanding the SUV and sedan line. It is a fact that Millennials are more driven by brands than by the product and more by " bells and whistles" than basic or fundamental value or quality. All companies have to adapt or die. H-D as well.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:10 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

The last time I was at the local Porsche dealer I could not believe all of the Porsche brand stuff they sold... even a baby stroller. And what cars do they have on the showroom floor... two SUVs and a hybrid Panamera.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
The last time I was at the local Porsche dealer I could not believe all of the Porsche brand stuff they sold... even a baby stroller. And what cars do they have on the showroom floor... two SUVs and a hybrid Panamera.
There a historical reason that Porsche has a lot of branded items. Butzi Porsche ( the guy who designed the original 911) was pushed out of the company by his cousin, Ferdinand Piech ( who headed the design of the Porsche flat six). The former stated his own company called Porsche Design and has worked with many companies to re-design products. Many of the early branded items were directly or indirectly related to Porsche Design but more often, today, the branded goodies are just similar stuff to BMW and M-B.

Quick Reply: Porsche becoming Harley?