Sponsored by:

997.2 clutch feels off

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 03:53 AM
ncout
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 clutch feels off

Hey guys I've test driven three 997.2 base models so far. Two felt great. Had an issue with the most recent one though. I felt like the window for me to balance the clutch/gas and make a smooth shift was smaller than usual. I had to concentrate more than usual. Secondly, it felt like the clutch had a higher release point than in the other two I drove. The car only has 15,000 miles. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

There was a second issue with this vehicle. The windshield had been replaced but no accident was reported on the Carfax. Pretty standard I guess - but i'd think not a good fit with the fact the most recent owner only had the car for 6 months and registered it in two states.

Any/all thoughts and feedback is much appreciated!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

This sounds like an aftermarket clutch. Its typical of aftermarket clutch setups to have a smaller window of engagement and also a different point of engagement. Not all, of course. There will be aftermarket ones that you cant tell from OE.

I wouldn't necessarily perceive it as a problem, but it also depends ultimately on what a driver is comfortable with.

The windshield replacement, in the absence of any other signs, is a non issue.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:16 PM
ncout
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your comment.
If the car has an aftermarket clutch at only 15,000 miles, should I be worried about that?
Old 07-19-2019, 08:21 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

In my experience, miles has little to do with clutch life. The Base cars don't have a self adjusting clutch so it could just need adjustment. Or, it could be low on life.
A mechanic should be able to tell you. As far as the windshield, mine was replaced from a rock on the highway.

Quick Reply: 997.2 clutch feels off