Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Lowering a 997: Eibach or PSS10’s (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1151690-lowering-a-997-eibach-or-pss10is.html)

blairb 07-10-2019 07:15 PM

Lowering a 997: Eibach or PSS10’s

Wanted to get everyone’s opinion on lowering my 997.1 Carrera.

I have long been debating installing Eibachs to lower the car, and finally just decided I wanted to pull the trigger. As I was about to order these I came across a killer deal on a set of PSS10 Coilovers.

For a car that sees 95% street, which way would you recommend I go? My wife really values the ride of the car compared to our previous Cayman. I know either way I will stiffen the car up, but I am not sure if the coilovers are much harsher than the Eibach route.

Also, for a car with 65k miles, anything else I should look at replacing while the car is apart?

911Gr8tness 07-10-2019 07:30 PM

I went Eibach and and have been very happy. Ride very similar to factory, though large bumps are a little more pronounced. Not sure if you have a S, but I added a DSC controller a few weeks ago and now the ride is better than factory in terms of compliance.

My car had 65k miles when I changed mine. At the same time I changed bump stops, shock mounts, and the shock bearing.

Looks like you are in San Ramon. I'm in Pleasanton if your interested in a ride to made a decision.

blairb 07-11-2019 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by 911Gr8tness (Post 15964944)
I went Eibach and and have been very happy. Ride very similar to factory, though large bumps are a little more pronounced. Not sure if you have a S, but I added a DSC controller a few weeks ago and now the ride is better than factory in terms of compliance.

My car had 65k miles when I changed mine. At the same time I changed bump stops, shock mounts, and the shock bearing.

Looks like you are in San Ramon. I'm in Pleasanton if your interested in a ride to made a decision.

Thanks for the offer, I would love to take you up for a ride sometime in the near future. Did you install yourself or use a local shop?

sandwedge 07-11-2019 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by blairb (Post 15964906)
Wanted to get everyone’s opinion on lowering my 997.1 Carrera.

I have long been debating installing Eibachs to lower the car, and finally just decided I wanted to pull the trigger. As I was about to order these I came across a killer deal on a set of PSS10 Coilovers.

For a car that sees 95% street, which way would you recommend I go?
My wife really values the ride of the car compared to our previous Cayman. I know either way I will stiffen the car up, but I am not sure if the coilovers are much harsher than the Eibach route.

Also, for a car with 65k miles, anything else I should look at replacing while the car is apart?

Subjective topic depending on lower back issues etc. To me, I can't tell the difference in ride quality between stock, Eibach and H&R springs. If either of them stiffens the car up it's not noticeable to me. Others will disagree. Never drove a 997 with coilovers but I can't imagine the ride would be any worse than with lowering springs. Many advantages with coilovers vs. lowering springs so if you got a killer deal going, that's the way I would go hands down.

At 65K miles, you may want to consider the water pump. Mine went without warning at just over 40K miles on my -09 C4S and I've read about others crapping in the 40K to 60K mile zone. I've got 62K miles now on the GTS with the original water pump and many others have more than that but 40K miles seems to be where the clock starts to tick on the water pumps. I guess there can be gradual failures where you have some warning like a small puddle on the garage floor but mine just froze up while driving, took out the serpentine belt in the process so needless to say, with a failure like mine you're done driving right there and then no matter where you are.

campbesl 07-11-2019 09:36 AM

PSS10

Blairb,

I'm looking for a set of PSS10s for my 06 Carrera S. It seems that they're on backorder but if you've found a retailer with inventory, can you please direct me to them?

Thanks.

Scott

groovzilla 07-11-2019 11:19 AM

H & R springs are to me the best way to lower 997----> IMO a 1.5" drop is a perfect height and you are still able to use PASM button function
Heres my 07 C4S w/H & R's

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ab255c180e.jpg

911Gr8tness 07-11-2019 11:42 AM

I did it myself.

996AE 07-11-2019 11:45 AM

The ride adjustability of the PSS10s, at least for me was the big deal.

Springs lower the car but the ride is very different. You get the look and its 1.3 of the money.

Check with Gert. Thats is where many of us buy PSS10s etc...

mcfisticuffs 07-11-2019 12:13 PM

Go H&R. I did Eibach and tbh I'm not sure it dropped.

pilfer 07-11-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs (Post 15966367)
Go H&R. I did Eibach and tbh I'm not sure it dropped.

that's how I feel too with the Eibach's. I want to get coil overs eventually, I've never been impressed with PASM. I have KW V3's on my RS4 and they are fantastic, KW doesn't make PASM compatible coilovers and I would like the option of using the sport button for the suspension to tighten it up when I feel like it without manually adjusting it.

k3|th 07-11-2019 02:13 PM

I chose Eibach specifically for the modest drop and I’m very happy. The ride quality is really good...I actually prefer it over the stock springs. I’m interested in perhaps adding a DSC sport controller later on.

bradthe 07-11-2019 04:48 PM

SECOND TO ASK WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THE DEAL ON THE PSS10? MY '06 HAS 81K AND I THINK I MAY AS WELL DO THE SHOCKS AS WELL, AS I HAVE A FEELING THAT 10 MINUTES AFTER I LOWER IT I'LL GET A LEAKY SHOCK...LOL

blairb 07-11-2019 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by campbesl (Post 15965999)
Blairb,

I'm looking for a set of PSS10s for my 06 Carrera S. It seems that they're on backorder but if you've found a retailer with inventory, can you please direct me to them?

Thanks.

Scott

Originally Posted by bradthe (Post 15966999)
SECOND TO ASK WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THE DEAL ON THE PSS10? MY '06 HAS 81K AND I THINK I MAY AS WELL DO THE SHOCKS AS WELL, AS I HAVE A FEELING THAT 10 MINUTES AFTER I LOWER IT I'LL GET A LEAKY SHOCK...LOL

These I actually found for sale locally from an individual, not a company. I was struggling to find them online myself when I was doing my research.

Uwon 07-12-2019 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 15966217)
H & R springs are to me the best way to lower 997----> IMO a 1.5" drop is a perfect height and you are still able to use PASM button function
Heres my 07 C4S w/H & R's

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ab255c180e.jpg

Beautiful car, perfect stance, but It does not look like a 1.5” drop from stock. You sure it’s that much?

Flat_Six_ 07-12-2019 11:59 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ababaf779.jpeg
Here is the after pic immediately after install.

Originally Posted by Uwon (Post 15968228)
Beautiful car, perfect stance, but It does not look like a 1.5” drop from stock. You sure it’s that much?

Looks like just over an inch. I did Eibachs and my drop was 8/10th of an inch. Looks great and the stance is a nice balance between improved performance and good function.

edit: car is parked on a slant leaning toward the driver’s side. Back end looks slightly lower on an even surface.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6f36e4c06.jpeg