Sponsored by:

iPhone / PCM connection problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 02:07 PM
JoeSwift
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPhone / PCM connection problems

I have a 2012 997.2 Carrera S Cab and I bought it CPO in November 2014. As of 2-3 months ago, my PCM won't recognize an iPhone or iPod. In the past, I have never had any problems connecting my iOS devices to the PCM using the center console connector (and the 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter with the short cable). But now the PCM won't recognize any iOS device and I don't know what to do. I have cleaned the Lightning sockets on my iOS devices. I have removed and reinserted the connector cable. I have tried another 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter. Nothing I've done has worked. I haven't taken it to the dealer for service, but I'd rather not spend several hundred bucks to fix this thing if I don't have to.

Any suggestions? Should I reset the PCM? (I'd rather not lose my settings.) Should I pull out the unit and check to make sure that all cables in the rear of the PCM are connected?
Old 07-08-2019, 08:05 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 409 Posts

Did you do iOS upgrade? Mine iPhone worked great until I did one, then it drove PCM crazy, then did another one and since then no bueno. PCM doesn’t recognize it at all. Gave up and now using memory stick for music.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:10 PM
JoeSwift
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done regular iOS upgrades with not a peep of problems over 4.5 years now. I don't know the exact date that the connection didn't work anymore, so I can't tie the problem to a particular new release of iOS.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 PM
boris_gti
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine does not always provide “iPod” option when I plug my phone in. It only allows for “AUX” input, which does not allow me to switch between the songs using the radio.
And then other times it allows for “iPod” option and life is good.
This can be frustrating at times as I can’t seem to pin point the issue.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:39 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It had not occurred to me that I could use the iPod input, and I lack the required adapter. So I have no information on whether that works for me. But I recommend getting a splitter that goes from lightening to both USB for charging and 3.5mm for audio, and just running through the AUX input. Yes, you'll have to use the phone to choose what you're playing.

Quick Reply: iPhone / PCM connection problems