Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Upgrade 997.1 or Upgrade to 997.2 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1151253-upgrade-997-1-or-upgrade-to-997-2-a.html)

Dr.J 07-08-2019 10:35 AM

Upgrade 997.1 or Upgrade to 997.2

Greetings everyone,

I've been toying with taking my 997.1 to the next level, rebuilding/re-engineering the engine and a paint job, or upgrading to the 997.2 , which would result in similar costs.

My 997.1 has 50k mikes on it and runs like a charm; rebuilding the engine, as I see it, would turn a diamond in the rough into a diamond. The factory paint is not bad, but, not great, either and after 13 years is showing weakness. I can live with and continue to enjoy it as it is, but, I’m just thinking things through, wondering how others might feel about this?

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,

John

cwheeler 07-08-2019 10:44 AM

I think it depends on how much you love THAT particular car. Most will tell you do ditch the .1 and move on to the .2. But, I believe that the .1, with a rebuilt, more powerful engine, is the best 997. I think this because the price of entry is lower, all "upgrades" the .2 has, you can implement on the .1 and whatever mods you currently have, you get to keep! Plus if you have an engine built by Flat6 or similar, you're gonna end up with a more powerful, unique car, that you are infinitely knowledgable about.

Cw

Dr.J 07-08-2019 12:44 PM

Cw, thank you - you’ve hit the mark on the .1 keep reasons and, yes, I do love the car and yes, my reasons for having it include my need for a fancy mechano set!

I was leaning towards Hartech, for the engine rebuild; are there any comparable shops in N. America that do the cylinder sleeves and modify the coolant channels?

Thank you!

kellen 07-08-2019 12:46 PM

I upgraded to a 997.2. Wanted more options, full leather and the DFI engine. Went from 997.1 C2S to 997.2 C4S. Love the Bluetooth, better screen, LEDs and extra 30hp is nice. To me the interior is more cohesive, the volcano grey center console looks old to me.

If your car has everything you need keep it. But if you were upgrading from base to S or 4S, wanted more/different options I would go to a 997.2.

Jaskfri 07-08-2019 01:10 PM

I upgraded my 2006 997.1 C2S cab for a 2009 turbo cab. I wanted a better engine and a manual transmission and thought the turbo was a better alternative for not that much more than a 997.2 C2S. I don't need any engine upgrades now:)

Ben Z 07-08-2019 01:26 PM

My engine was in the early stages of bore scoring and the clearcoat on the roof and rear quarters was shot. I went the route of an RND engine and a respray. I had an extended warranty that covered about half of the engine cost, and a good body shop that did the respray for under 2 grand, so all-in it was much less than it would have cost me to move up to a .2 (partly because knowing about the scoring I would not have sold the car privately without disclosing it).

Balr14 07-08-2019 01:47 PM

That's a tough one. One the one hand, a 997.2 is newer and definitely has upgrades and improvements you can't easily duplicate. The center stack is particularly noticeable. On the other hand, you car is a known quantity. Maintenance records and a PPI do not tell how the previous owner drove it. On the third hand, any modifications will impact resale negatively. In other words, you would recoup more of the additional money you spent on a newer model than on upgrades to an older model and it will be easier to sell. One final point is the issues with the 997.1 (IMS and bore scoring) are known and you are addressing them with the rebuild. We do not yet know if the 997.2 will have significant problems.

Petza914 07-09-2019 06:29 AM

You're talking $25k for a proper engine rebuild and another $10k for a resprsy done the right way with the doors removed, taken apart, sunroof out, bumpers off, etc so probably the value of your car (let's say about $35k) plus this $35k cost for a total of $70k. That puts you into decent 997TT territory or close enough where with a few thousand more to get into good TT territory, it doesn't make sense to spend $35k on a $35k car to end up with a $45k-$50k car (because of the engine upgrade) that may be difficult to sell because of the paint work, and won't have anywhere near the performance of a TT. Plus, the TT values are stable and will appreciate over the next few years.

It really only makes sense to do a $25k engine build if there's something wrong with the engine and the car has become a $10k roller instead of a $40k driver.

Sell it and upgrade to a TT is my advice or to do it less expensively, sell it and upgrade to the .2 for about $20k additional investment.

dgjks6 07-09-2019 08:36 AM

Are you a "modder" or a "stocker"?

If you like everything stock and OEM then the 997.2

If you like to mod, the 997.1. New engine, lowered, rims, stereo, etc

Dennis C 07-09-2019 10:21 AM

In my opinion, you should keep your car and modify it as you see fit if you like the 997 platform. The only exception in my mind would be an upgrade to a 997 Turbo. They’re wonderful cars. If you want to upgrade and stick with a normally aspirated car, then I’d go with a 991.1. A 991.1 GTS would be a fantastic upgrade.

I think it it all comes down to your reasons for making a change, and how you prioritize them.

TheBruce 07-10-2019 01:45 AM

@Petza914's math is right. But **** math. I want to see the rebuild :-)

sandwedge 07-10-2019 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 15960866)
You're talking $25k for a proper engine rebuild and another $10k for a resprsy done the right way with the doors removed, taken apart, sunroof out, bumpers off, etc so probably the value of your car (let's say about $35k) plus this $35k cost for a total of $70k. That puts you into decent 997TT territory or close enough where with a few thousand more to get into good TT territory, it doesn't make sense to spend $35k on a $35k car to end up with a $45k-$50k car (because of the engine upgrade) that may be difficult to sell because of the paint work, and won't have anywhere near the performance of a TT. Plus, the TT values are stable and will appreciate over the next few years.

It really only makes sense to do a $25k engine build if there's something wrong with the engine and the car has become a $10k roller instead of a $40k driver.

Sell it and upgrade to a TT is my advice or to do it less expensively, sell it and upgrade to the .2 for about $20k additional investment.

This ^^^^^

That's an awful lot of money to pour into a 997.1 if you do what needs to be done right. You'll never get it back so the only reason I would consider this option is that you love the car you have so much, don't think you can ever find a good substitute and that you're basically committed to keep it forever and don't care what it costs to bring it back to where you want it. Just my opinion but the numbers make no sense in the rehabilitation scenario.

mujeriega 07-10-2019 03:32 PM

Save the money, sell the car and upgrade to a 997.2. If you're really looking for way more performance, the other direction might be better which is get into a 996 Turbo which you can find many in the low 40's these days.

Dr.J 07-11-2019 06:09 PM

Thank you all for your input! You should know that I'm an old fart; yeah, I'd say at 61 I'm in that category. And, my 997.1, to me, is not just a car, it's a fancy mechano set! Over the course of my life, most of the toys I've purchased have been flawed, orphans with shortcomings because I saw the potential in them and I think this 997.1 is no different. Indeed, I don't want to get carried away with spending; but, as I'd be doing most of the work, myself, it shouldn't be outrageous, I mean the cost of upgrading it. For me, the value is also in what I've personally invested, my mechanical experience. Just buying something and having it, somehow that doesn't work for me - I'm the gluten for punishment, type ... ie. an old fool. This is how I've reasoned it all, thus far. In rebuilding, I'd be making it mine on a personal, mechanical level. On the other hand, if I had any sense, I'd just be satisfied with how it is, now, as it sure is a joy to drive. And, while I understand the 997.2 has all issues resolved, or, mostly and the GTS/3 and TT are more powerful, I really don't need tons more hp to get me into trouble.

I remain undecided, but, am leaning towards keeping it, maybe rebuilding, also. Time will tell.

Again, thank you!

Redhot2474 07-11-2019 06:55 PM

Way to much $

Way to much $, enjoy the car for what it is or upgrade to a newer better car