Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

998 - 8 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi, Mercedes, Ferrari have all left Porsche standing still recently in the power stakes.
That's why they made the Carrera GT.

Plus there is the Turbo and GT2 and those are the real flagship power houses of Porsche. I think they should look at increasing the output from the turbo models moreso than from their base (of course they should be upping the power there too). Keep the 911 n/a as a more practical, and affordable sports car. That's just my take.

Hmmm... Corvette isn't the only marque with high power figures.
I didn't mean the Corvette was the only high powered car, I meant that it seems some people want Porsche to change their philosphy on cars to reflect more of what the American manufacturers do. If you get what I mean.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:49 AM
xero
Intermediate

Nissan is aiming at Porsche with their next installment of the Skyline GTR so I think anything that Porsche does, 997 wise should be based on improving the product. By that I mean taking an approach to them as TIS330ci has requested.

With competitors like the Corvette, the next RX-7 and other lower priced cars Porsche should really pay attention to their image is leader of the pack and assert that. The GT3 has direct competition from the Z06 and exerts similar performance. I'd like to see Porsche create a bigger gap between lesser expensive sports cars and it's cars. I'd hate to drop 100k on a GT3 and have some chump in a Z06 throw on headers, exhaust and a chip and blow me away. Thats a reality that should not be.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by xero

With competitors like the Corvette, the next RX-7 and other lower priced cars Porsche should really pay attention to their image is leader of the pack and assert that. The GT3 has direct competition from the Z06 and exerts similar performance. I'd like to see Porsche create a bigger gap between lesser expensive sports cars and it's cars. I'd hate to drop 100k on a GT3 and have some chump in a Z06 throw on headers, exhaust and a chip and blow me away. Thats a reality that should not be.
I don't really understand comments like this. How do YOU define leader of the pack? Straightline performance? How would you react if I 'dropped' $35K in to my $25K 964 and 'blew you away'?

There is always going to be a faster/more powerful car around than whatever model Porsche you own. That is not what Porsche is about, Porsches are about the whole package. If it is paramount that you beat the Corvette next you away from the lights then I would suggest going a different route. Join the rice brigade.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:27 AM
TIS330ci
Advanced

straight line performance should at least be in the "ballpark" of similarly priced models
Old 03-11-2004, 04:57 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by graham_mitchell
Audi, Mercedes, Ferrari have all left Porsche standing still recently in the power stakes.

Mercedes CL 55 AMG: 500hp
Ferrari 360 Modena: 400hp (one of the least powerful models)
Audi RS6: 450hp

That's not a fair statement. All of those cars are much more expensive than a base 911. Two of the three are more expensive than a GT3 (the audi RS6 is almost as expensive). A GT3 will beat (if not slaughter) all those cars in pretty much any performance test you can dream up.

Not to mention the GT3 while rated less than the 360 dynos significantly higher. The GT3 even beat out the $200k stradale (just by a hair) in performance numbers in the latest comparison (see link below). If i'm not mistaken none of those giant $200k+ v12 crusiers that ferrari is putting out right now (of course excluding the enzo) beat the GT3 around the Nuerburgring either. I'm sure a GT2 will really slaughter them comming in at under $200k.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...e/index11.html

All in all, Porsche is doing just fine! They just need to keep up the good work.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:26 AM
ssmith2k3
Advanced

wasn't the original 911 supposed to recieve a flat-eight?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Paul Jennings
Intermediate

Surely the car to make would be a mid engined 911 .....

Same layout as boxster basically, scrap the back seats in the 996 and put both V8 versions of he Cayenne motor in there.........

If porsche would like to send me the donor parts I will see what I knock up in my garage for them .........

seriously, mid engined 911 would be awsome, boxster handling with 400 -500 bhp ............ yes please !!
Old 03-21-2004, 04:04 AM
dakar34
Advanced

Is there a great advantage to a flat 8 as opposed to a bigger flat 6? I can see why BMW might go to a v-8 in the next M3, as it might be easier to package into the bay compared to a bigger I-6. But what would be the advantage for Porsche? Then again, maybe the easiest thing to do would be to put some sort of blower on ...
Old 03-21-2004, 11:52 AM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by dakar34
Is there a great advantage to a flat 8 as opposed to a bigger flat 6? I can see why BMW might go to a v-8 in the next M3, as it might be easier to package into the bay compared to a bigger I-6. But what would be the advantage for Porsche? Then again, maybe the easiest thing to do would be to put some sort of blower on ...
I'd like to know that answer as well... It's obvious Porsche can exceed 400 horsepower out of 3.6 F6 naturally aspirated and other makes with more cyllinders but similar displacement seem to get about the same. What is the advantage of more cyllinders? Don't redlines tend to be lower the more cyllinders you have?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1.) Center of gravity.
2.) Flat-design sound.
3.) They know the design.

I think those three should be enough to keep Porsche to flat engines.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:12 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Rassel
1.) Center of gravity.
2.) Flat-design sound.
3.) They know the design.

I think those three should be enough to keep Porsche to flat engines.
I would agree stick with flat engines particularly for the center of gravity but why not a flat 8 rather than a flat 6?

What are the differences between a 3.6L F8 and a 3.6L F6?
Old 03-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The number of cyliners?
Just joking.. hehe

I think a F8 would take more space and weigh more. Now I'm getting worried of the 997. Looking at the engine bay it seems to increase every new model, and the latest one looks like the hunchback of Notre Dame. I know some people like the backseat of the 911 since it makes the car versatile. Personally, I'd throw it out instead of putting the giant back on the 997.

Now, about the HP thing. Lots of interesting posts, but noone seems to look into the street vs. track use. As mentioned HP is probably the least problem there to drive around the track. A 993TT is an awesome street car, but on the track a GT3 would leave it dead...

I'm fearing a Lamborghini Diablo disease if there is just an HP upgrade. You'd get a brute with no real track performance. As someone said, there is no need for space to a midengine, since there is no need for a larger engine. I disagree! Midengine would really really improve the handling of the Porsche! Thats the main reason.

I believe this will be my last post on this topic, since it seems to be repeating itself now...

Last edited by Rassel; 03-21-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Rassel
Why do you need a 8 cylinder car?
There is still plenty of more power to pull from the regular flat-6.
400bhp from the current 996 engine aint really that hard to get, and still keep it reliable.
How do you get 400 reliable hp from an NA 996... other than dropping in a GT3 engine?
Old 03-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Koda
Advanced

Originally posted by jetskied
I think that a flat 8 might be a good idea since it would not take away from the essence of a 911. When the 901 was introduced the 356 pepeole said the same about a 6 cyclinder. If they went with a V8 they could not get the low center of gravity or have it fit in the rear as they do now. As far as the balance they may make the new 998 have a slightly longer wheel base to off set the extra 200 lbs and may reposition the rear suspention, or maybe make it AWD like the heavier turbos. An eight might even be more fun like the old 930 with more rear weight bias it can be throttle steer easier, but it might make more of a handful for most to drive.
Wow, I would hope that Porsche could do a V-8 that does not weigh 200 extra pounds...if so they should just be buying lighter v-8's from Chevy from the Z06. Remember unlike the current flat 6 which needs 6 individual journals for each cylinder, a v-8 can use a commong journal for 2 cylinders on opposing banks.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:20 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

I'm sure the z06 v8 is not lighter than Porsche's 3.6L 6.

Quick Reply: 998 - 8 cylinder