Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 PCM acting weird - Fix or replace (with what)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:31 PM
juan9999
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.1 PCM acting weird - Fix or replace (with what)?

So I was listening to my radio, and all the sudden the music stopped and I got this screen (first image) without me touching any buttons. The screen froze and the PCM was not responsive to any key presses and would not even power off, so I shut down the car and waited til the next day.

The next day the music was back (see picture) but I lost the display?

Any ideas of what happened? Can I fix it? If not, what's a good cost effective replacement?

I have a 997.1 Cabriolet with the Bose sound option.

PCM when it froze

The next day
Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Looks like the screen is starting its passage into the afterlife
I was able to go through a chinese site and purchase the screen for about $130. The screens were quite a bit higher on ebay but they may be cheaper now, just search PCM 2.1 screen.
The R&R is fairly easy as I just followed this tutorial.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...video-how.html
Good Luck with it.

edit: just looked--$130 on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152703227441
Old 06-12-2019, 10:54 AM
juan9999
Advanced

Thanks for the insight!

It certainly looks like the screen, and kind of reminds me of my iMac doing the same thing- in that instance it was the motherboard (graphics card was built in).

I'm just surprised that it was working fine, then all the sudden "froze" then the next day had screen issues so wondering if it could be something else...

I wish there was a way to test my current screen to determine if it's ok or not- I know for most monitors you can get a cheap driver board to hook up to PC etc...
Old 06-12-2019, 11:03 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

If you are losing sound and controls then its likely not just the screen and could be the hard drive.

You can 1. send it out to Becker to fix for less than $1k i believe or 2. replace with aftermarket and get a more modern interface and additional apps

I replaced mine with a Kenwood HU and did the install myself - all in about US$800. You will lose the fader capabilities but i gained much more tuning ability with a 13 channel EQ in the HU so found i can customize the sound much better. Hate android auto because of it limitations but like the updated interface etc

There are lots of threads you can read on this already
Old 06-13-2019, 03:33 AM
juan9999
Advanced

Basically one day I lost controls, then the next the screen (but got controls and sound back).

Right now everything is working except the screen, and since I mainly use my iPhone via Transit Bluetooth the screen isn't as bad as loosing controls and sound).

I'll look into the Kenwood HU- does it support Bose? I'd prefer something that supports apple CarPlay.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:24 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

You will need a MOST module to interface the new HU with the fiber optic connections (if you want to retain the BOSE amplifier).
Basically that module converts the audio signals from the HU into fiber optic signals and feeds it to the Bose amplifier.

Alpine has some really nice HUs that support wireless CarPlay (i don't know if others even support wireless CarPlay).
Sony's XAV is also quite simple to use - has both Android Auto and CarPlay.
I tried a few HUs and finally went with a simple Pioneer as it lets me use my phone and works with an old iPod classic

If you have steering controls and would like to retain them, go with the Connects2 kit (from UK) => that's what I did.

Finally.. the plug-in..
I have the MOST module box that I used prior to getting the Connects2 kit and can sell it to you for a discount viz market price ($90-$100).
NavTV has their own MOST HUR (HU Replacement module) that does the same things (a couple of more output signals, but irrelevant if you don't care about steering controls) and it's much more expensive.
I also have the PCM sitting in my garage shelf and can possibly sell that one too if you'd like.

Thanks
Shyam
Old 06-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I too only use the Tranzit, and my phone is mounted on the center vent with a Proclip mount, so I really don't need the PCM screen that much, but if it dies I will probably go the Becker refurb route. I did that when my BOSE amp went belly up. Aftermarket is definitely the better interface and features but the MOST thing bumps the cost up ridiculously. If I had non-BOSE I would have gone aftermarket long ago.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:04 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I’d buy a new one off eBay, or check the connections in the back of yours, my 997 had a little glitch and taking it out and reinstalling fixed it
Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I too only use the Tranzit, and my phone is mounted on the center vent with a Proclip mount, so I really don't need the PCM screen that much, but if it dies I will probably go the Becker refurb route. I did that when my BOSE amp went belly up. Aftermarket is definitely the better interface and features but the MOST thing bumps the cost up ridiculously. If I had non-BOSE I would have gone aftermarket long ago.
My total cost including the MOST adapter was about $800, maybe a little more then replacing the Becker but certainly not ridiculously so. And the interface at least looks like it was produced in this century!
Old 06-16-2019, 01:41 PM
MEMike
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
You will need a MOST module to interface the new HU with the fiber optic connections (if you want to retain the BOSE amplifier).
Basically that module converts the audio signals from the HU into fiber optic signals and feeds it to the Bose amplifier.

Alpine has some really nice HUs that support wireless CarPlay (i don't know if others even support wireless CarPlay).
Sony's XAV is also quite simple to use - has both Android Auto and CarPlay.
I tried a few HUs and finally went with a simple Pioneer as it lets me use my phone and works with an old iPod classic

If you have steering controls and would like to retain them, go with the Connects2 kit (from UK) => that's what I did.

Finally.. the plug-in..
I have the MOST module box that I used prior to getting the Connects2 kit and can sell it to you for a discount viz market price ($90-$100).
NavTV has their own MOST HUR (HU Replacement module) that does the same things (a couple of more output signals, but irrelevant if you don't care about steering controls) and it's much more expensive.
I also have the PCM sitting in my garage shelf and can possibly sell that one too if you'd like.

Thanks
Shyam
So I’m a bit confused....have the same setup as the OP that works fine but considering upgrade to aftermarket to get a more modern system with BT and CarPlay. Will I need both a MOST module and a Connects2 or other module to maintain steering wheel controls?
Old 06-16-2019, 01:42 PM
MEMike
Track Day

Originally Posted by vern1
My total cost including the MOST adapter was about $800, maybe a little more then replacing the Becker but certainly not ridiculously so. And the interface at least looks like it was produced in this century!

Vern, could you post a list of the items you used? Your setup sounds like just what I want.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:02 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by MEMike
So I’m a bit confused....have the same setup as the OP that works fine but considering upgrade to aftermarket to get a more modern system with BT and CarPlay. Will I need both a MOST module and a Connects2 or other module to maintain steering wheel controls?
I had the steering wheel controls and wanted to retain them. After several other kits that claimed to retain the controls failed, I chose the Connects2 kit and everything is fine there.
For a 997.1 with Bose, this is the kit you want: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSPO005.2
Note the model number (CTSPO005.2) and you can buy it off eBay as well for slightly cheaper.
Either option would be quite a bit cheaper than a NavTV or Crutchfield kit which also claim to work (Vern1 was about to validate if the crutchfield kit did work..)

Here is the list of items I used:
1. Connects2 kit (that kit has the MOST module, steering controls module and the wire adapters to connect to the factory harness.
2. Dash trim kit for the new HU (I just got a cheap kit off eBay and it worked "fine") => Metra 99-9606G (grey) or Metra 99-9606B (black)
3. A decent HU with mic and harness. You will be doing some splicing to connect this with the Connects2 wire adapter
a. I also bought a generic European vehicle harness so I could make a "quick release" mechanism for the wiring
4. You may need a radio antenna adapter as well
5. You will need to tap into a fuse to send power to the HU, so buy an "Add a circuit" tap + 15A fuse IIRC
6. A bunch of posi-tap connectors and of course, wires

That should cover it mainly. There is the popular thread which is an excellent reference: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-or-less.html
IIRC I also ranted in that same thread about the non-working steering wheel control adapters

Thanks
Shyam
Old 06-17-2019, 06:32 AM
MEMike
Track Day

Shyam, thanks for taking the time to reply, great information!

-Mike

Quick Reply: 997.1 PCM acting weird - Fix or replace (with what)?