Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acquired a Club Coupe: need upgrade recommendations!

Old 06-09-2019, 02:39 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Acquired a Club Coupe: need upgrade recommendations!

I just picked up a very nice, 55k miles local all-records Club Coupe. This car is dialed: sport seats, full leather, incredible condition, super clean borescope pictures, and PCCB optioned. It shows like a 20,000 mile car, and knowing the history of the car and who was driving it, it certainly was driven properly and seasonally.

That being said, there are a few things I do not like about the car and would like to address.

1) the ride height looks set for the Paris Dakar. I need springs and spacers, or possibly Ohlins. The stock suspension is nice and tight, but a car with X51 calls for a more aggressive stance and suspension setup. Thoughts about the best way to proceed? I know springs and the DSC are well regarded, but Ohlins are only $800 more than that combo. The suspension will need refreshing at some point, so I am leaning toward just doing it now; cheaper and better in the long run. Do the sways/LCA/drop links all at the same time? This will be a powerful daily and possibly AutoX car for us.

2) This one does not have the Aerokit, and I am not a huge fan of the front bumper on the stock 997: it is very feminine and could use a sport splitter, at the minimum. I think the best combo may be the Aerokit front bumper for the 997, paired with a Getty Ducktail for a classic look. Thoughts on this pairing? Who sells the best upgrade lights (LED) for a 997.1? I don't want a wing, but the ducktail has always been a great look, especially on a car with the 997's lines.

3) wheels: the sport classic wheels are not bad, but I am not a fan of all silver wheels. My favorite wheel setup is something black or gunmetal with a polished lip. I need something with more offset or some wheel spacers as well. Paint the wheels or look at something better?

4) power and sound: the car pulls very well, but the exhaust, even in sport mode w/X51, should be a lot louder. I have considered the Soul sport cats paired with a tune, which could net me 410+HP. FWIW, we recently sold our GT4 and both my wife and I would have preferred it to be louder: that car was set up stock. The gold standard for us is the 991 GT3 with bypass pipes. I don't know if we can get our car to sound that good, but anything close would be awesome. I could use some suggestions here.

I think that is about it. The club coupe is an amazing color, and yeah, I know I could get an X51 manual for less that I paid for this car, but it wouldn't be this amazing shade of blue. When is the last time I saw a Cobalt Blue X51 manual with ceramics up for sale? The closest would be the 997 Turbo Cobalt up here a few years back, and it had beige interior, which I don't care for. This car screams "keeper" in every way, and I don't mind putting some money into it and making it a real head-turner.

Thank you for all of the help!
Old 06-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice intro and relevant questions, but no pics????
Old 06-09-2019, 03:37 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah ------ photos needed. Personally, I could look at Porsche blues all day long.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Get the coilovers.
Get the whole aerokit.
Paint the wheels, they look great with black center. Get some spacers. Money saved goes to aerokit.
It's loud enough for a daily with PSE.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:14 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Cobalt blue??

Club coupe is Azurro California
Old 06-09-2019, 10:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,126 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Don't give up the PASM as you lose the building block for the DSC mod. If you need coilovers, get B16 Damptronics so you can still add the DSC or get lowering springs and add the DSC - it's a game changer, especially if you're going to auto-x it and go select a stiffer dynamic suspension setting.

Don't know if your wheels are CL or 5-lug since you didn't post any photos ! but I have some polished, forged Champion RS171s for sale that would look beautiful with the blue and combined with the PCCBs will give you one of the lightest corner unsprung weight options out there. These Champions were even a couple pounds lighter than my current Forgelines.

Keep the PSE mufflers and add a 200 cell X-Cat setup and maybe long-tube equal length headers - I have the Fabspeeds and they've just upped their warranty including a sound guarantee. That will get you the sound you want as well as a little performance bump.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:13 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

I have the GT3TEK front spoiler and Getty and Sport Classics by Wheel Dynamics, but matte, I woulda gone gloss. But I don't know of a sport classic wheel other than the real Fuchs for auto-x or track. I'm most likely ditching the script and going BBS's as I prep mine for a little more track use.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
3) wheels: the sport classic wheels are not bad, but I am not a fan of all silver wheels. My favorite wheel setup is something black or gunmetal with a polished lip. I need something with more offset or some wheel spacers as well. Paint the wheels or look at something better?
Big congrats to you on your new Club Coupe. You will love the car even more after you begin making the changes that you posted above.

Painting your wheels is an option but the car really deserves a wheel that is more lightweight and brings it up to date with the styling. There are retro inspired wheels like the Rotiform FUC's and more performance focused options too like the HRE P101's

Rotiform FUC

HRE P101

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acquired a Club Coupe: need upgrade recommendations!