Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter or Ignition?

Old 06-04-2019, 12:26 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Starter or Ignition?

Sometimes I will turn the key and nothing will happen. Then I take the key out and the car starts fine.

Other times I will turn the key and there will be one crank and it falters. Again, I take the key out and the car starts fine the second time.

This has now been happening for over a year - a small annoyance that I figured I'd look into. Starter or ignition?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:23 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

The first symptom is likely your ignition switch. Typical symptoms: a) a momentary delay between when you turn the key and the starter engages and b) failing to engage at all some times. I had mine replaced by my indy for $250. Its a $100 part and easy job to DIY if you want to go that route.

Im not sure I fully understand the second. Are you saying the car turns over but it cranks slowly and dies, like the battery is dead? Or it cranks then immediately cuts out like its lost power?

If the former you might have two issues masquerading as one. Another common issue is a bad starter/alternator cable which causes the car to crank slowly when the engine is hot, like its got a dead battery. Thats another cheap part but a more involved repair. To isolate get your oil temp over 210 and then shut off the car. If it starts right back up then your cable is fine. Its the starter is slow turning over then your cable is going bad.

Could also be the starter going bad. But I would isolate these two usual suspects first.

Last suspect is the clutch safety switch. I know those can go sometimes too. No experience with that but I think when it fails its more a binary thing: car won't turn over because it thinks the clutch isn't depressed. Another easy fix I believe.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

If it works perfectly fine sometimes and acts funky other times, I would start with the ignition switch.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:30 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

yup ^
Old 06-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Clutch switch should display "Depress Clutch Pedal" on the dash if that's failing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter or Ignition?