Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's How you Discuss Cars w/Wife (997 content)

Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 PM
Epicben
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was lucky I sent my 997 to FSI for a new engine and promised to sell it on return. Wife agreed to a 991.2 Targa while 997 was gone. 7 months later the car came back and my wife had forgotten all about it.

I think Jake does big bore aircooled engines!!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:17 PM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Epicben View Post
I was lucky I sent my 997 to FSI for a new engine and promised to sell it on return. Wife agreed to a 991.2 Targa while 997 was gone. 7 months later the car came back and my wife had forgotten all about it.

I think Jake does big bore aircooled engines!!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:28 PM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
You have automotive ADD in a bad way. Either you are a flipper or you are just really bad at making decisions or sticking with them. I agree with your wife.
I'd have to agree with you when it comes to cars/toys. I've lived in the same house for 34 years and never leveraged any of my houses or other properties - At least I have that going for me.
And as far as flipping cars, there's no money in it these days especially with the 996/997 models.
Gone are the days you could find a nice 356 or early 911, even 912 and mess with it and turn a buck for fun.

The 911sc was purely a buy and hold decision because:
a. I missed having an aircooled car
b. it is very hard to find a nice silver/black low mileage example
c. I know the market is going to keep climbing
d. 997's aren't so hard to find.

I did luck out when I was at Akers Porsche having the Cat bypass replaced on the sc a few weeks ago - Denny Aker drove in with his 06 997 C4S all set up like my 07 was and w/25K less miles.
He's had it for a few years and now that he is 80 yrs old wants a new 2019 Porsche Targa. I just looked at him and told him I'm buying his car when he sells it - He said fine done deal.
Then he started telling me about his wife frowning about buying a new one. I told him at 60, I'm buying what I want who knows how much longer we have?
He laughed.
Funny, for a guy who's worth probably $20million or more between his car collection and real estate, his wife still gets annoyed about buying another car. Got to love her.

She probably had the same look on her face as when I visited Denny in the hospital about 6 hours after his heart stint surgery---> The family was all gathered around his bed and I walked in, put some Porsche magazines on the table and asked him if he could come down and adjust the idle on my 997. Most of the family laughed but his wife thought it was too soon for jokes.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:02 PM
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, if you're not using the boats but 3 times / year, lose them and use that space to park the other car. We use our boat all the time and the kids love it so I must be the opposite of the old adage about happiest days in a boat owners life, as one was the day we bought it, but we continue to have many happy days every year with it. It's an 06 that runs flawlessly.

surfing

wakeboarding

extreme tubing

neighbor flipping over and high-fiving my son - he's awesome

the 3 of us playing around on the same surfer

Get the paintbrushes ready and good luck with the wife!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:41 PM
NuttyProfessor
User

If I had all the money I've invested in my wife's shoe collection, I could buy me two more Porsches.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 AM
neptune36
User

ME: Honey, I want a Vette
Wife: OK I'll get a horse
Me: Honey I want a Panamera
Wife: OK I'll get another horse
ME: Honey I traded the vette in on a 997.2
Wife: What's that?
ME: A Porsche
Wife: OK I'll get another horse and I need a Ford F150 and a 4Star Horse Trailer
ME: Honey I'm going to sell the 740i
Wife: Thats fine.

So now we're a house of Porsches and Horses. I think thats a good balance, till I lurk on the auto sites.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:47 PM
Oneday997
User

Originally Posted by neptune36 View Post
ME: Honey, I want a Vette
Wife: OK I'll get a horse
Me: Honey I want a Panamera
Wife: OK I'll get another horse
ME: Honey I traded the vette in on a 997.2
Wife: What's that?
ME: A Porsche
Wife: OK I'll get another horse and I need a Ford F150 and a 4Star Horse Trailer
ME: Honey I'm going to sell the 740i
Wife: Thats fine.

So now we're a house of Porsches and Horses. I think thats a good balance, till I lurk on the auto sites.
Haha! Exact same thing here. Horses for her, Porsche’s for me. And I’ll tell you what, long run the Porsche’s cost a lot less than the horses!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:08 PM
neptune36
User

Definitely is the way things pan out. No way to flip a horse like we might flip a Porsche. The horse might as well be a child. One "child" spent two weeks at a vet surgeon 200 miles away for sinus infection. I'm getting Sport/Sport Plus upgrade and wife's comment was "Is that necessary?" On the positive she has gone along with me on our boats both large and small so we do have some mutual toys and all's good. fun discussion.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 PM
qikqbn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Groovzilla... 1st off... same email address!! Come on!

Glad to see I am not alone when it comes to negotiating with the wives over buying more Porsches! or other expensive toys... When it was a 1 car for me and 1 car for the wifey it was not big deal.... But then when I wanted to add more Porsches it got messy and exponentially more expensive. My 911 C4S also cost me a swimming pool being added to the backyard. The next porsche cost me a kitchen remodel that included tearing down a wall. If I even breathe or mention that I am looking to add another Porsche it definitely comes with an ultimatum and/or dirty looks from the wife.
I am the bread maker and manage all the financials. Wife does not work due to health issues and I am not far from early retirement. The "D" word topic would "F" me at this point in life and almost 50. Prenup was not an option when I got married, haha, but maybe I should have had one written up with a clause that "I could buy any porsche/toy, any time, without any permission, or retaliation" I think part of the wifey's backlash is that I constantly remind her to slow down on the shopping. Curse you Amazon Prime!! . I tell her she does not need 300 pairs of shoes and 3 closets full of "nothing to wear". So when I quietly mention I have play money for another Porsche then all hell breaks lose and the "retaliatory spending" monster kicks in to high gear. So for those with "understanding" wives or "equal contributors" when it comes to money... count your blessings!!!

Although now that I think about it... I have been doing A LOT of house chores, wall painting, clutter removal, and some room redecorating... So maybe it's time to add that Car Lift in the garage to make space for another Porsche!

Last edited by qikqbn; 06-10-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:52 PM
w0o
User

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS View Post
Your wife clearly told you how you can have the new Porsche.

(typical of us men - we hear them talking but don't actually listen)

Sell the boats. Paint the rooms.
This is exactly it ^^ and also maybe car lift instead of expanding garage?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:59 PM
JustinCase
User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla View Post
Gameplan:

. . . and maybe install the new kitchen counter she has wanted for past 6 years.
Uh, having been in the kitchen cabinet industry for 46 years, just a word of advice: Never put new granite (or quartz, or any solid surface material) on old cabinets. I can't tell you how many times we have had customers come in, having replaced their countertops 2-3 years prior, thinking *now* they can replace their cabinets underneath them. Bad idea. Removing solid surface tops almost always breaks them, and then they have to be replaced *again*. Then, they are out the cost of new cabinets plus a *second* set of expensive tops. This can cost you nearly the price of a good, used 997.1. Otherwise, your plan looks fine.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 AM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinCase View Post
Uh, having been in the kitchen cabinet industry for 46 years, just a word of advice: Never put new granite (or quartz, or any solid surface material) on old cabinets. I can't tell you how many times we have had customers come in, having replaced their countertops 2-3 years prior, thinking *now* they can replace their cabinets underneath them. Bad idea. Removing solid surface tops almost always breaks them, and then they have to be replaced *again*. Then, they are out the cost of new cabinets plus a *second* set of expensive tops. This can cost you nearly the price of a good, used 997.1. Otherwise, your plan looks fine.
JustinCase: Excellent point.
w0o: My garage ceiling height is too low for lift-----> Victorian era 2 car garage which is more like 1.5 cars. I guess Model T's were much narrower than later vehicles.

I'm fortunate to have a wife that doesn't pull the retaliatory spending drama. I'm lucky too that my wife is cheap/tight. She waited 20 years to buy a new car - Always wanted used VW Jetta's which was the car she owned when we met. She even turned her nose when I bought her a newer Passat w/full leather/premium stereo. I never said she was logical
I came home the other day after being at Aker's Porsche and told her I was buying Denny Aker's car when he decides to sell it. She said absolutely nothing and I didn't notice any weird frowns/look of death or steam rising from her head.

I plan to paint the rooms she wants done and also surprise her with some kitchen cabs and counter top this fall. Long story but our house and my apt. building are next door to one another in prime downtown neighborhood/development property. Both will be sold and demo'd some day so my willingness to dump $ in our house has been nil. Lately we've talked about possibly keeping the properties since my son expressed an interest in possibly managing them some day.
I'm sure I'll have some interesting follow up later this year.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:50 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Groov,

You'll be fine mate - She's been with you long enough to know you're not stoopid! Get plans drawn up for a remodel and anew garage - Amortise the costs

My first wife (I made it to 35 no less) was happy to spend the cash from selling my 1 of 1 930 which i had acquired prior to meeting her with no issue. She lost the plot when a set of 993 Muffler tips showed up..... Needless to say that one is long gone......

The (soon to be) "Final Wife" (not second - FINAL) - knows and more importantly accepts my sickness for all things with wheels and all of the shiny bits that come in the mail from the USA .
I say nothing about her addiction the to all of the clothes/shoes/jewellery/make-up she buys.

I know its what she likes - and she knows what I like - Why would you want to rob someone you love of happiness??

I'm old I guess and just past arguing for no reason. If you can afford it - do it!!

BEST

Last edited by Full Boost; 06-11-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Fined
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't negotiate with my wife at all on cars. Or need to. I tell her what I'm buying, she usually says no, I go and buy what I think we need or what I want. I let her pick her car with my guidance. I suppose it helps my wife is only 27.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM
qikqbn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Full Boost View Post

The (soon to be) "Final Wife" (not second - FINAL) - knows and more importantly accepts my sickness for all things with wheels and all of the shiny bits that come in the mail from the USA .
I say nothing about her addiction the to all of the clothes/shoes/jewellery/make-up she buys.
I know its what she likes - and she knows what I like - Why would you want to rob someone you love of happiness??
I'm old I guess and just past arguing for no reason. If you can afford it - do it!!
I hear ya, that is a mind set and point in life I am getting to the older I get as well. Don't get me wrong, I take very good care of my wife and we are good together, even though I am venting , with a bit of tongue in cheek, about her spending habits and occasional outbursts at my obsession with wanting a bigger garage and a fleet of Porsches. Some times this is the only group I can vent to about Porsche! All my other friends or family would probably side with my wife, tell me to stop being selfish, and say I need another Porsche like I need a hole in my head! Maybe they are right, but it won't stop me from checking out the classifieds once a week for fun

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: