Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Relief Valve: Anybody replaced this to improve idle oil pressure?

Old 06-02-2019, 12:12 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Relief Valve: Anybody replaced this to improve idle oil pressure?

We had some debates a few months ago about what the correct hot idle oil pressure was. It was inconclusive. Some guys were 2-2.5, others were 1-1.5. Im the latter. If i'm running really hot my idle oil pressure will dip down to .9.

I ran across some posts in the 996 forum about this. It seems like a common issue for 996s but more extreme. Guys were reporting idle oil pressure of .3 or .5. The simple fix they described was changing your Oil Pressure Relied Spring and Piston. https://www.renntech.org/topic/39205...essure-solved/. It looks like in the 996 there was an issue with the spring breaking and the piston design itself (which was updated in the 997).

Anybody done this on a 997?? It looks like a 5 min job. The bolt holding the piston and spring is located right between the engine carrier and oil pan and I always wondered what that was.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

We alter these in every engine we build. It does help oil pressure, BUT remember that oil pressure is resistance to flow more than anything. Engines that idle with less pressure, either have hotter oil, or more open clearances internally, or both. Viscosity index also plays a role, this is why you can't compare the oil pressure between different engines.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

How could altering your pressure relief valve help your idle oil pressure?

Common spring-actuated relief valves come into play at higher RPMs when the pump is spinning faster and delivering too much pressure. At low RPMs, the pump isn’t providing enough pressure to cause the valve to be actuated.

Does the Porsche pump or relief valve work differently than almost every oil pump in the industry?
Old 06-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Iceter
How could altering your pressure relief valve help your idle oil pressure?

Common spring-actuated relief valves come into play at higher RPMs when the pump is spinning faster and delivering too much pressure. At low RPMs, the pump isn’t providing enough pressure to cause the valve to be actuated.

Does the Porsche pump or relief valve work differently than almost every oil pump in the industry?
But, the earlier version, or an engine with a weakened spring will pop off early, and can cause low pressure even at idle.

We see engines that run high oil temps are killing the relief spring pressure, and that sometimes keeps the bypass valve from sealing off, resulting in lower pressure at all times.

Remember, how things are supposed to work, is always trumped by the variables that determine how they actually do work. There are times where I omit the entire factory oil pressure relief system in these engines.
The following users liked this post:
MoveableBeast (07-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Jake you rock. By "alter" do you mean you replace them? And would you recommend replacing this as a general preventative measure? And does the M96/05 and M97/01 have the same design?
Old 06-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
But, the earlier version, or an engine with a weakened spring will pop off early, and can cause low pressure even at idle.

We see engines that run high oil temps are killing the relief spring pressure, and that sometimes keeps the bypass valve from sealing off, resulting in lower pressure at all times.
Makes sense, thanks for explaining. But fixing a malfunctioning valve is different than modifying a functioning one. I would assume that a malfunctioning valve would cause low pressure across a wide band of RPMs, not just at idle.

So now I’m curious what the modification is that prevents this? I’m interested because today is the first time I’ve heard of this being a thing.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:32 AM
UGA AV8R
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have a picture of what this looks like for the 996? Got the part in the mail today and just want to get an idea of what this looks like assembled before I change it. Also, can it be done with oil in the car? I just changed the oil a couple of weeks ago. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2020, 09:50 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

OK so maybe a dumb question but does the relief valve just restrict flow of the oil around the engine or does it 'short circuit' the normal oil flow path and just dump oil back into the sump?

If it is just a restriction to the oil flowing around the engine then simplistically a lower pressure at a given engine revs means more oil flow which I would assume is good as more oil is circulating and lubricating.

If it short circuits the oil flow path around the engine then higher pressure is good as the opposite is true as it means more flow is going around the engine for a fixed RPM.

The assumption seems to be the latter but it's always good to clarify ;-)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:04 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
OK so maybe a dumb question but does the relief valve just restrict flow of the oil around the engine or does it 'short circuit' the normal oil flow path and just dump oil back into the sump?

If it is just a restriction to the oil flowing around the engine then simplistically a lower pressure at a given engine revs means more oil flow which I would assume is good as more oil is circulating and lubricating.

If it short circuits the oil flow path around the engine then higher pressure is good as the opposite is true as it means more flow is going around the engine for a fixed RPM.

The assumption seems to be the latter but it's always good to clarify ;-)
The spring valve is a bypass because the oil pump is a positive displacement pump. I believe it dumps directly back to the sump. There is also a bypass valve and spring in the oil filter on the m96. Same principle - too much pressure and it bypasses the filter, but the filter bypass goes to the engine internals. The filter bypass is there in case the filter gets clogged, so it’s a different reason, but the prevention is the same: too much pressure could break something, so it’s best to bypass than to break an oil pump or filter canister
Tj40 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:05 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by UGA AV8R
Anyone have a picture of what this looks like for the 996? Got the part in the mail today and just want to get an idea of what this looks like assembled before I change it. Also, can it be done with oil in the car? I just changed the oil a couple of weeks ago. Thanks!
Its just a piston, a spring, and the threaded cap with a crush washer, in that order. You will lose roughly .5qt when you replace this. If you use a seriously clean drain container, then you can just pour the oil back in.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:14 AM
UGA AV8R
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Its just a piston, a spring, and the threaded cap with a crush washer, in that order. You will lose roughly .5qt when you replace this. If you use a seriously clean drain container, then you can just pour the oil back in.
ok thanks. Pelican sent me a small, thick black rubber seal vs a metal crush washer. Sound right?
Old 01-28-2020, 10:22 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by UGA AV8R
ok thanks. Pelican sent me a small, thick black rubber seal vs a metal crush washer. Sound right?
No.. Not at all.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:27 AM
UGA AV8R
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No.. Not at all.
I went back and looked on their website, and what I ordered in the picture looks nothing like what they sent me. Wouldn't be the first time they've sent me the wrong part. Calling them now.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
The spring valve is a bypass because the oil pump is a positive displacement pump. I believe it dumps directly back to the sump. There is also a bypass valve and spring in the oil filter on the m96. Same principle - too much pressure and it bypasses the filter, but the filter bypass goes to the engine internals. The filter bypass is there in case the filter gets clogged, so it’s a different reason, but the prevention is the same: too much pressure could break something, so it’s best to bypass than to break an oil pump or filter canister
This explains it perfectly - Thanks!
Mike Murphy (01-28-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 10:05 PM
Tipper
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

If I'm getting 4-5 consistently on the dash oil pressure gauge, is this normal?
Or too high?
2002 996.2 Carrera with just over 100,000 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Relief Valve: Anybody replaced this to improve idle oil pressure?