Sponsored by:

Locking Just The Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 11:44 PM
Ray916MN
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locking Just The Trunk

Is it possible to just lock the trunk without locking the doors? I've got a cabriolet and I'm used to being able to lock the trunk on convertibles while leaving the door unlocked, so I have a secure storage space while not risking some idiot cutting the top to break into the car. If not, is it possible to require the trunk release switch so that it only works when the ignition is on.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:04 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

If you lock a cab, the alarm goes off if anyone tries to open the door, frunk or glove box. I believe locking the car also disables the frunk release, doesn’t it?
Old 05-26-2019, 12:11 AM
Ray916MN
6th Gear

All true, except the alarm does not go off when the car is locked and the door handle is tried. The concern here is that an idiot will try the door, find it locked and go after the roof with a knife. I've always just left convertibles unlocked and locked anything of value in the trunk to prevent low lifes from cutting the top to try to get in.

Last edited by Ray916MN; 05-26-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

I'm not aware that this is possible, however if you unplug the wires to the frunk release switch on the driver's inner door sill, I think the button on the key will still pop it, but the switch won't work anymore. Maybe this achieves your objective and will still let you lock the doors whenever you wanted too
Old 05-28-2019, 04:29 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray916MN
All true, except the alarm does not go off when the car is locked and the door handle is tried. The concern here is that an idiot will try the door, find it locked and go after the roof with a knife. I've always just left convertibles unlocked and locked anything of value in the trunk to prevent low lifes from cutting the top to try to get in.
No, not from the outside, of course. But the alarm does go off if someone attempts to open the doors using the inside handles. So, if your top is down and the car is locked, the car is still secured and alarmed.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Ray916MN
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Iceter
No, not from the outside, of course. But the alarm does go off if someone attempts to open the doors using the inside handles. So, if your top is down and the car is locked, the car is still secured and alarmed.
Yes, the frunk release is disabled when the top is down and the doors are locked so even if you don't open the door you can't get in the trunk. All of this is fine, but has nothing to do with removing the incentive for a dummy to cut the roof trying to get into the car while the top is up and the car is locked, which is what I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid, while still being able to have secure storage in the trunk.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:34 PM
Ray916MN
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'm not aware that this is possible, however if you unplug the wires to the frunk release switch on the driver's inner door sill, I think the button on the key will still pop it, but the switch won't work anymore. Maybe this achieves your objective and will still let you lock the doors whenever you wanted too
I may have to pull apart the release switch and see what I can do. I have an idea to put a magnetic switch in one of the switch connector leads and to afix it to the underside of the sill cover so in order to operate the switch a magnet has to be placed over the area the switch is in. Set the switch in metal so a magnet will stick to it normally and just pocket the magnet when I want the trunk locked. The other thought is to find switched power and change the power feed to the switch so the switch would only work when the ignition was on.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Ah I see. I thought you wanted the frunk secure when parked with the top down. I didnt read closely enough to see you want to leave the top up with the car unlocked but the frunk secure.

Yes, that's a difficult one. I'd consider disabling the interior trunk release. The frunk switch is a simple circuit. You could splice in a wire and hide a switch somewhere (locked in the glove box, perhaps) so you could disable the switch whenever you feel like it, then enable it at will.

Quick Reply: Locking Just The Trunk