New To 997

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default New To 997

Hi Everybody,

Recently traded my 99 996, 6sp cab for a CPO 09 997 PDK C4S cab (as seen in the pic) so I'm moving from the 996 forum to you good folks here at the home of the 997. Wish I could have kept both cars as they are so different but still very alike. During my ownership of the 996, I have learned an enormous amount from the Rennlist and Renntech community/forums and hopefully that learning will continue with the 997. Although, with a CPO car I shouldn't have to get my hands quite as dirty, at least for the next 2 years. CPO is well on it's way to paying for itself because just this last weekend the spoiler/oil cooler gear mechanism stripped itself and went sneakers up - so off to get warranty work on a 10 year old car - it this a great county or what?

So in keeping with the 996 paranoia can I get an idea from the 997.2 folks on a 75-80 degree day 70-75% humidity - What are your oil and water temps for normal and spirited driving?

Mine are - Off the gauge - and I'm familiar with the gauge inaccuracies - remember where I came from.
Normal - Oil 195-200, Water 175
Spirited - Oil 210-215 Water 175

So here's to trading IMS paralyzation with PDK psychosis - Cheers

Old 05-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow congrats, talk about a step forward. Very nice unit.

Am fairly new to 997 myself, but was on the market for a 996 from October to late january read tons and must say that although this is where I found out about the infamous ims failures, I don't remember a psychosis around high summer temp and humidity?!? Most likely steered towards bore scoring and ims, but still?!?

So I know what you mean about trading fears, especially now that the PDK is showing to be more problematic than the ims ever was, even in the 996s!!!! In fact, that is mostly why I drive a 997.1 6spd rather than a 997.2 PDK. 6spd .2 were too rare.

But anyways, now that you got it, concentrate on the things to do to avoid problems.... for that, others will chime in soon.

Congrats, and enjoy.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome! Love those Sport Design wheels. I would highly recommend getting Hawk Ceramic pads to make your life with them less of a chore. Ask me how I know.

Cant comment on the temps as the .1 and .2 work in slightly different ranges, but those seem about right. .2s runs a little cooler than .1s I think.

As for the water temp, thats a binary sensor aka they fake it. I believe they changed it in the 997 to reduce service inquiries. If it shows anything over 175 it means something is wrong and you should pull over.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the welcome - Yea the dust is nearly unbearable, I think the wheels dust up just sitting in the garage - but like the 996 forum I have read several threads here espousing the "Miracle" of the Hawks.
I can also confirm (what other have stated) that it takes longer to clean the wheels then the car.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Always glad to see another cabriolet owner! You don't really need to worry about the PDK. Porsche has sold over 400k PDK units and the failure rate is extremely low. It gets an undo amount of attention because it's expensive to replace. If it was an issue, warranty companies would charge extra for it... and they do not.

Quick Reply: New To 997