Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spilled oil all over engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 06:17 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not disputing what you say about corrosive to aluminum, but back in my Air Force days, we washed aluminum skinned aircraft with Simple Green, and used it as a general wiping cleaner for everything except canopies.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:09 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mean no offense by saying so, sincerely, but when you bring your car to someone for repair, or in this case a simple oil-change, let them perform their task uninterrupted. Odds are had you not been hovering and engaging in conversation, this would not have happened.

I would not tolerate an over protective customer being a helicopter parent while I work, and I can understand how distractions admittedly caused by you, could lead to this simple oversight.

The bay doors are open because the weather is nice. They're not an open invitation to barge your way in. And they most likely have signage saying no customers in the shop posted in the lobby.

If he entertained your intrusion, it was likely because he was trying to be polite and not cause offense. You're at least as responsible, if not more so, for the error.

I hope you consider what I've stated before you start pointing fingers, and trying to hold him to account for something you were equally responsible for.

How many errors would you make at your job if you had someone hovering and causing distraction the way you were? Food for thought is all, I hope it all works out fine, which I'm sure it will.

P.S. Can we please stop acting like these engines and electrics are made of delicate materials to be handled with kid-gloves? I'm an electrician specialized in mission critical environments. The connections will be fine. It's an automotive engine, at this point in the game, regardless of manufacturer, it's realized they will be exposed to extreme; heat, cold, chemicals, debris, and water. A rainshower produces steam when your engine is at 212* F. Which, I'm guessing most of our engines are when it rains, and we're driving.

Last edited by Arctic997; 05-17-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with the above completely. As a technician myself, I had a similar incident. I forgot to torque one wheel because the customer was behind me telling me stories and I got distracted. After a couple a days he came back complaining about a vibration. Luckily the wheel did not fall off. Of course, completely my fault, but it would not have happened if the guy was not jabbering in my ear. He was a great customer, and I did not have the heart to tell him to take a seat in the waiting room.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:15 PM
kslmd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Arctic997 for the lesson on proper auto repair shop etiquette. It is presumptuous to say the least for anyone to assume I was acting improperly. In fact, the technician was the one who initiated an interaction with me by inviting me to see his own personal car and then walking me into the shop to point out some details on my vehicle he observed while performing his inspection. I was actually in the waiting room when I happened to gaze through a window into the shop and noticed oil pouring out of the back of the car while the technician was sitting in the drivers seat. Only then did I re-enter the shop to alert him. So while I appreciate your reassuring comments about the status of my car, your admonishments could have been avoided.

Kevin
Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

Originally Posted by venom51
Steam is such a harsh cleaning method they use it on such manly things as drapes and lace materials.
When was the last time electrical current had to flow through your drapes or lacey bits after they were steam cleaned? It's not bad for anything in the engine compartment except all the electrical connections.

Originally Posted by campbesl
I hose my engine down all the time including using Simple Green or an orange cleaner. I then dry with rags and go to town on all the black rubber/plastic bits with ArmorAll. I've never had a problem.
Hosing down is completely different than steam cleaning or pressure washing, as the water molecules aren't moving nearly as fast and don't penetrate the seals on the connectors. Still not great to put water directly into the alternator windings if it can be avoided, but that's an exposed component with the assumption that in normal use it will see some water.

For those that think pressure washing is similar to driving 100 MPH in a rain storm it's not as there's a bunch of stuff in front of all those components that diffuse the 100 MPH wind, like radiators, grill work etc.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:41 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel sorry for both the tech and the OP. If it happened to my car, it would have lessened my liking of the oil soaked car somewhat. Like forgetting to put flaps down when taking off or landing commercial aircraft, it should never happen. If I ever feel lazy and consider taking my P-car for some work at an Indy, I will remember the OP's experience and put on work clothes and do it my damn self. Oh boy!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
When was the last time electrical current had to flow through your drapes or lacey bits after they were steam cleaned? It's not bad for anything in the engine compartment except all the electrical connections.

Hosing down is completely different than steam cleaning or pressure washing, as the water molecules aren't moving nearly as fast and don't penetrate the seals on the connectors. Still not great to put water directly into the alternator windings if it can be avoided, but that's an exposed component with the assumption that in normal use it will see some water.

For those that think pressure washing is similar to driving 100 MPH in a rain storm it's not as there's a bunch of stuff in front of all those components that diffuse the 100 MPH wind, like radiators, grill work etc.
Ahem...

P.S. Can we please stop acting like these engines and electrics are made of delicate materials to be handled with kid-gloves? I'm an electrician specialized in mission critical environments. The connections will be fine. It's an automotive engine, at this point in the game, regardless of manufacturer, it's realized they will be exposed to extreme; heat, cold, chemicals, debris, and water. A rain shower produces steam when your engine is at 212* F. Which, I'm guessing most of our engines are when it rains, and we're driving.
Of course I could be wrong but the truck I drive has been steamed and pressure washed about twice a month for the last 15 years. I'm sure all the electrical connections are just waiting to fail because they have come into contact with hot water vapor.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:46 PM
kslmd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an update, my car is running just fine with no problems since the unfortunate oil spillage event. Plus, my engine looks clean as a whistle as a bonus!

Quick Reply: Spilled oil all over engine compartment