2010 C2 with Branded Title

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Augur
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 C2 with Branded Title

Hey guys,

Still on a hunt for a 997.2 in my budget. Recently saw this one posted online for sale in Moorsville, NC:

https://www.thegroupinventory.com/20...-28117/6607552

Price and options look good but see this dealership specializes in branded titles. I contacted them and they told me

“NC Branded / Rebuilt title as it was included in a homeowners insurance claim for water damage to a property it was stored at. The car sustained no damage and went through our intensive inspection process were we flush all the fluids and remove the entire interior. No damage or water intrusion was found in either. The DMV have also inspected the car and noted no damage or any repairs needing to be done in their report.”

Is is this a good deal or too good to be true? Would you guys go forward with a PPI or pass?

Old 05-16-2019, 05:15 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Pass. Cars don't get salvaged for lack of damage. I personally wouldn't buy a branded title vehicle, especially one that was water damaged. Feel like you are asking for more trouble and resale will not be easy. A cheap Porsche can be an expensive one.

I would post here with your budget and see what recommendations people have. 35k can get you a used but nice 997.1 S model with a clear title.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:26 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

I am in agreement with kellen. An insurance company won't write off a car with no damage so there had to be a reason for calling it a total loss. Even if the car turns out to be solid you will be saddled with the branded title and take a huge it with resale down the road. Also, most insurance companies will not insure a salvage or rebuilt titled vehicle, and those that do charge a premium so you will most likely be getting hit from that side as well. If you are purchasing it for a track dedicated car, that would be another story but for a daily/weekend driver I would certainly pass on this one.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:32 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Just because there was no sign of water in the interior doesn't mean that the exhaust, engine or chassis wasn't infiltrated by water. You can't always see where water might have been.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily say immediately pass. Depending on your budget. What I would advise is being extremely careful. And be smart enough not to believe a single thing you don't have independant evidence for. It doesn't matter what someone has said, or how it seems. What matters is what you can verify, or what you can hire a professional (who has no interest in the car one way or another) to help you determine.

I've bought a branded title car before when I was stretching my budget to afford the sports car I wanted. I bought the car for about $6-7k less than the market value for a car that didn't have the title brand. When I sold the car 4 years later I sold it for $5-6k less than the market value for a car that didn't have a title brand. For me, it worked out. I was able to buy a car that was a bit out of my budget and I never had any problems with the car during my ownership. What I did was arm myself with all the documentation for how the car ended up with the title brand and evidence needed to be secure about an admittedly risky move. My point here is.. there isn't a one size fits all answer. It is good to be aware about the potential of not having the easiest time selling. I had 0 problems selling my branded title car, it sold in a week.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Many years ago my daughter ran her car into a ditch and it was in some water, though I don't know how deep. The insurance company said that it was totaled in spite of the fact that it looked flawless. The adjuster explained that once it's been in water electrical problems will plague it for the rest of its life. Like others, I don't believe for a second that an insurance company decided to total that one if it was not at least partially submerged. Also, it could have been just a little bit of water, but it was salt water.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:23 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Augur
Hey guys,

Still on a hunt for a 997.2 in my budget. Recently saw this one posted online for sale in Moorsville, NC:

https://www.thegroupinventory.com/20...-28117/6607552

Price and options look good but see this dealership specializes in branded titles. I contacted them and they told me

“NC Branded / Rebuilt title as it was included in a homeowners insurance claim for water damage to a property it was stored at. The car sustained no damage and went through our intensive inspection process were we flush all the fluids and remove the entire interior. No damage or water intrusion was found in either. The DMV have also inspected the car and noted no damage or any repairs needing to be done in their report.”

Is is this a good deal or too good to be true? Would you guys go forward with a PPI or pass?
I'm pretty conservative at 70years old and would likely pass but when I was 40-50 maybe I would take a chance.
The ad says it has a PDK which would increase my paranoia since water damage was mentioned and that is an expensive component to replace. But maybe if the dealer would provide a no extra cost bumper to bumper warranty for 3 months and a 1 year warranty against any water related issues I might be interested.
Any chance you could find the previous owner?
Bill

Last edited by tinkerbill; 05-16-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I bought a branded Mercury Montclair convertible that was loaded for $600. It was only 3 years old and was beautiful. It turns out the owner had driven it onto a street that was just paved and the cement was still wet. The entire underside was full of cement. Cornered like it was on rails.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Also are the sellers the ones who fixed it? If so the car has no documented history of running well. If a total happened 5 years ago and it was doing fine since repair it would make memore feel more comfortable than a fresh total and repair I am taking the risk on.

I still wouldn't do it either way. If you are looking at a totaled 911 you are stretching your budget. Tires, oil changes, brakes, etc are not cheap. These are 100-120k cars new and need that level of upkeep or you will have problems.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

PASS
Old 05-17-2019, 12:15 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Don't do it. I know a guy that bought a non-salvage 928s that had water damage. He spent 4 years and $10k chasing down the issues that kept this car not running. In the meantime the car just melted apart with other issues.

DON"T DO IT
Old 05-17-2019, 12:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

I love all the BS stories with Branded Title cars - Always remember used car dealers would sell their children to make a buck.
Flood damaged cars are problematic - Not only is is too difficult to re-sell them but the moisture in wiring harness/etc can show it's ugly head at any point in the future
Old 05-17-2019, 01:21 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Keep a few things in mind...

1. Car salesmen are not legally bound to tell the truth. This isn't conventional wisdom, this is established legal fact. If you suspect a salesman isn't being truthful, you have to verify it.

2. The NC DMV inspector doesn't certify anything, and will not certify anything. They will only inspect the car and verify that it meets the minimum safety standards required by the state to be road worthy and that the car's systems are operable at the time of the inspection. Anything beyond that is exaggeration by the dealer.

3. We have had some serious flooding here in the last couple of years.

I would not shy away from a flood car under certain circumstances. Those being that I inspected the car personally and the car was dirt cheap. Electronics are expensive. Porsche electronics are exorbitantly expensive. I would need the price to be heavily discounted to cover any potential malfunction down the road AND to cover the lost resale value.

I'm not sure there is a price that is cheap enough to cover the potential downside for a 911 that got wet inside.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you love everything about the car (color, options, model) and would buy the car if it wasn't salvaged, and if you have touch of gambler in you, then you might make the seller an offer of 30K. He might counter offer for less than 35K. I have had two salvage Porsches. My 993 coupe (21K) miles had slid into a post destroying the driver's door (maybe the driver as well) and leaving the rocker with a huge divot. The professional repair was excellent and I would still own the car if the guy that I bought it from hadn't convinced me that he had to have it back. My present 997.2 coupe also slid into a narrow post that destroyed LR wheel and impacted part of the fender. Your situation is a bit different per the unknowns of water damage. I bought both of my salvage title cars for way below the very low advertised prices because as stated above, salvaged Porches are viewed negatively by Porschphiles whether deserved or not. Also, the longer that you wait and this car does not sell, then the greater the chances are of getting it for small money. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter

I'm not sure there is a price that is cheap enough to cover the potential downside for a 911 that got wet inside.
I think Iceter has the ultimate bottom line.

I will leave this article here for your perusal:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...-total-losses/

Quick Reply: 2010 C2 with Branded Title