Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Cooling Fans Working? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1143175-cooling-fans-working.html)

campbesl 05-15-2019 02:50 PM

Cooling Fans Working?

Since I've had my 997.1 I've really never heard the cooling fans operate. I've read many posts where people discuss the engine compartment cooling fan running after they've shut the car off. I've never experience mine running even after 'spirited' drives in high 90's weather.

I researched several posts on checking, replacing or trouble shooting the fans (front radiators and engine compartment) looking for clues on how to test mine. Last night I got out my Durametric Enthusiast, hooked it up, and started searching. I was able to find the radiator fans under Front and then, under Activations I was able to individually and collectively operate them. Then I did the same with the engine compartment fan. WOW they all work! Loving the Durametric and Loving the Rennlist community!

Now, should one use an external fan or let the car's sensors and engine compartment fan do the cooling? Should one leave the engine compartment open or shut to cool off? Such is the debate. :)

Best regards to all,

Scott

Petza914 05-16-2019 11:12 AM

Let the OEM fans do as they were designed and leave the engine lid closed. The engine fan won't run with the lid open and the fan pulls air from above and pushes it down through. Leaving the lid open prevents the fan from running and has the heat radiate up through which is not how it was designed to cool.

campbesl 05-16-2019 02:01 PM

Thank you Petza, I'll follow your advice.

BTW, I was in Highlands NC over the weekend touring mountain roads and just plain enjoying my 997. Just realized that I was close to your neck of the woods.

Petza914 05-16-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by campbesl (Post 15844902)
Thank you Petza, I'll follow your advice.

BTW, I was in Highlands NC over the weekend touring mountain roads and just plain enjoying my 997. Just realized that I was close to your neck of the woods.

Sure were. Highlands is an hour up the mountain from me. Let me know next time and maybe we can catch up.

yvesvidal 05-16-2019 03:35 PM

There are different schools and different ways to look at it.

Personally, I open the lid (in my garage) and let the heat follow its natural path, which is upward. This will not damage the plastic parts and actually keep them in better condition than if you let the lid fan fight against natural physics.

I believe that the Porsche engineers designed the lid fan to push the heat back to the ground (going against physical and natural laws) simply to prevent people from being burnt or disturbed by hot air escaping the rear lid, when a car is parked in European cities.

I have had my car for 9 years and all the plastic parts are still impeccable.

Yves