Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

997 Sold---> 1980 911SC Arrived Late Last Night--->997 Content

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Sold---> 1980 911SC Arrived Late Last Night--->997 Content

Old 05-15-2019, 01:20 PM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 997 Sold---> 1980 911SC Arrived Late Last Night--->997 Content

There are a couple of recent threads regarding me selling my 997C4S and buying a 1980 911SC and thought I'd post some photos on this new thread of 911SC in my garage.
Car was supposed to arrive today but driver called me at 12:30am this morning to ask if he could drop it off at 1:30am - I was sound asleep so it sort of sucked but our street is dead at that time so I agreed.

Car looked great from the 2500 mile journey but dirty - First thing out of the drivers mouth was that he broke the base of the drivers side door mirror - When he folded it in the guts of the base snapped - That area where it rotates is now a little loose.
He said he would pay for the damage but instead I told him I'd fix the mirror but I'm gonna hold back the tip I was going to give him.
I was extremely happy that the driver followed thru with loading my car on TOP of carrier for the trip which I requested and also delivered the car 3 days after picking it up in Nashville Tn. - He also called me every day and texted his location. All the responsible/courteous things drivers never do.

When he unloaded the car I paid the balance due and we were done - I drove the car around the neighborhood and was actually surprised how different the ride felt - It's been so long since I sold my old 911SC I completely forgot just how primitive the SC is. Transmission/clutch/seats/HVAC/Sport seats all so much more prehistoric. I especially forgot how narrow the older Sport Seats are and just not as nice as the newer style.
I parked car in my garage and went to bed at 2am a bit disappointed in my decision to sell my 997.

I woke up at 6am this morning and washed the car - Drove around the neighborhood and took it on the freeway and all around downtown Seattle which is only 5 blocks from my house - When I got home I felt a lot better about buying the SC but I do miss the 997. Theses some cosmetic stuff to address on the SC over time which the seller didn't disclose like condition of rear speaker shelf and rear headliner is badly discolored around the side windows - Typical stuff for these older cars but I was so concerned with the mechanics and body/paint, I didn't ask much about certain interior components.

I couldn't have asked for a nicer seller to work with - He's been totally upfront about everything and so easy to deal with.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
User

Look how easy it will be to mount a front plate!!!

I am struggling with the issue. aka - I don't want to do it.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM
DesmoSD
User

Congrats it is! I recognize the background of the dealership picture and seen some clean cars listed on ebay and on the trader. How was your experience with them? I felt like their prices were a little on the higher side of the market. Did you fly there to see the car in person and do a PPI or did you conduct business over the phone/email?

Given the many Porsches that you've owned, I'm surprised that you sold your 997 for a 1980 SC (out of all the G body 911's). I personally like driving my 90's Supra because it's like a time capsule and that nostalgic feeling of how things used to be. I'm still looking for a long hood and even middy 911 (pre 1975 to avoid smog) and on occasion I'll brush over early 80's Porsches.

Sorry that you sort of have buyer's remorse.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:38 PM
J_D
User

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS View Post
Look how easy it will be to mount a front plate!!!

I am struggling with the issue. aka - I don't want to do it.
Don't do it! I carry my front plate in the frunk. That car is gorgeous btw!!!
Old 05-15-2019, 03:41 PM
colombiano
User

Congrats!!! I was fortunate enough to get an 79SC after I got my 997 and absolutely love it! Not as fast, not as comfortable but that smell the feel, love it!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Iceter
User

The driver sounds like he was top notch. Based on your description, I might have been tempted to tip him a bit anyway. Anybody can make a mistake.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:17 PM
Scottc714
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ive had 2 SC's and one 3.2 myself. Theyre fun to drive, very viseral and easy to work on. Gotta love the primitive cables, levers and ***** , and the unmistakeable aroma of gas, oil, leather, and headliner . Quite the intoxicating cocktail no? No water boiler has that. I kinda went the other way and sold all my aircooleds , bought a 996 turbo, sold that and bought my current 997. I just sold my 993 and shipped it out to Texas 2 weeks ago so back to 1 car again. Hows the 915 shift ? Its a good tranny if not abused in the past. new shift bushings in the tunnel really smooth up the shifter. Have fun with it and congrats

Gone but not forgotten...

Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 PM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^The 915 transmission shifts great - No synco issues and recent service records for replacement of shifter bushings.
Yeah I spent the past 7 years with water cooled---> (3) 996C4S and (2) 997C4S's. you can;t beat the ease and comfort of the 997's but I really wanted to have a nice 911sc to hold onto. They are getting so hard to find in great condition.
I hope to enlarge my garage or build another so I have the room for more cars.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 PM
Scottc714
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice! Btw I like the silver. Nice contrast with all the black trim and Fuchs. Looks good
Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 AM
WGJP 993
User

Very nice, congrats! Is this the same one you posted about in your 997 thread - I think it had phone dials on it in those pics? Sorry, can't remember as you were considering two.

Enjoy that intoxicating smell and feel!
Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 AM
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh man that is cool. That car is gorgeous! I need to catch up on your other thread to get all the backstory. Im afraid I missed it.

I thought about going this route a few months ago but eventually abandoned the idea because the 997 was so damn practical. Would you ever use the SC as your grocery getter or is it strictly a weekend car?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 AM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WGJP 993 View Post
Very nice, congrats! Is this the same one you posted about in your 997 thread - I think it had phone dials on it in those pics? Sorry, can't remember as you were considering two.

Enjoy that intoxicating smell and feel!
The SC with the phone dial wheels was paint to sample grey exterior/black interior - It had much higher miles and didn't have the H4 headlights.
In an SC, I prefer silver/black so I went for this one.
Just have to remember the SC is much more primitive, less comfortable and more of a "drivers" car which the 997 got away from.
Also, at 60 yrs old but in pretty decent shape, I find it a PITA getting into and out of the SC Sport Seats. Earlier Sport Seats are much narrower and the bolsters protrude higher on your hips and thighs.
In all honesty I dislike them but they are the originals and have the blue plaid inserts

Old 05-16-2019, 09:56 AM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce View Post
Oh man that is cool. That car is gorgeous! I need to catch up on your other thread to get all the backstory. Im afraid I missed it.

I thought about going this route a few months ago but eventually abandoned the idea because the 997 was so damn practical. Would you ever use the SC as your grocery getter or is it strictly a weekend car?
I'll be using it occasionally going out to dinner or taking drives around town----> As mentioned above the earlier Sport Seats eats make it a PITA to get in and out a lot so doing short stints probably a no.
The beauty of the 997 is ease of sliding in and out(even with the Adaptive Sport Seats)and just overall comfort level.
911SC HVAC all works with cables and not as precise or powerful, transmission sloppier and w/SC's you have to be very careful that the syncros are good - They wear out in every tranny and make up/downshifting into 2nd/3rd gear a grinding mess.
This tranny was rebuilt and shifts great.
It's all give and take----> My main reason for not keeping 997C4S is space which at this point in my life is pretty freakin lame. I really miss my Meteor Grey 997C4S already but my next will be a 991 most likely.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
User

Originally Posted by Scottc714 View Post
Ind the unmistakeable aroma of gas, oil, leather, and headliner . Quite the intoxicating cocktai

Gone but not forgotten... ..
When I had my 1966 a friend of mine bought a 3000GT - his car outperformed mine by a large margin. But it was the overall experience of the Porsche that had me hooked.

The smell of dried fall leaves, horsehair, warm oil and a rich exhaust did it for me. His car was like going into a hospital and holding your breath until you got out. Sterile plastic crap.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Scottc714
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS View Post
When I had my 1966 a friend of mine bought a 3000GT - his car outperformed mine by a large margin. But it was the overall experience of the Porsche that had me hooked.

The smell of dried fall leaves, horsehair, warm oil and a rich exhaust did it for me. His car was like going into a hospital and holding your breath until you got out. Sterile plastic crap.
Yah it starts as soon as you open the door and sit down. Your hit with a combo of upholstery, carpet, dash, and headliner. Its like your sitting on a bar stool ordering a well drink. Then you turn the key and pour some extra shots of oil and gas in. is it any wonder you drive off with a smile and slightly intoxicated?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: