Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   C2 v C4 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1143004-c2-v-c4.html)

TopKatz 05-14-2019 03:01 PM

C2 v C4

I’m sure this has come up, but I’m in the North East and I’m looking for a 911. My preference is for a 2005.5 - 2008 RWD coupe. This is not going to be a daily. With that said I’m seeing more C4s out there. I suppose it makes sense that on the east cost they would be more prevalent. My reasoning for avoiding AWD was avoiding the added complexity and maintenance on twice the drive line. In addition to this when I think of the 911 I think manual rwd sports car.

Am I putting to much stock in that ?

Fined 05-14-2019 03:12 PM

Seat time. Get some.

Did I mention some time driving both cars? I may have...

Fahrer 05-14-2019 03:17 PM

If you want the traditional, classic 911 experience, I would go with the RWD. I live on the East Coast but mine is not a daily driver so I am very happy with the RWD, the relative simplicity and lighter front end.

Carreralicious 05-14-2019 03:26 PM

I’m in the NE too, and I ended up choosing an 07 997C2S. I don’t drive it all year round as we have 2 other cars in the family with all wheel drive. As small a difference it may be, I actually didn’t want the C4S mainly because there’s a little less front trunk space too, and I wanted all the space I could get given I was coming from a Boxster that had a front and rear trunk.

I personally don’t think of a 911 as only good in rear wheel drive, as the Turbo models are also all wheel drive and are pretty awesome. Just that for me, I didn’t feel I needed the AWD in my situation.

Originally Posted by TopKatz (Post 15840243)
I’m sure this has come up, but I’m in the North East and I’m looking for a 911. My preference is for a 2005.5 - 2008 RWD coupe. This is not going to be a daily. With that said I’m seeing more C4s out there. I suppose it makes sense that on the east cost they would be more prevalent. My reasoning for avoiding AWD was avoiding the added complexity and maintenance on twice the drive line. In addition to this when I think of the 911 I think manual rwd sports car.

Am I putting to much stock in that ?

kellen 05-14-2019 03:39 PM

I have had both. The C4S is a little better in bad weather but quite honestly anywhere a C2 is going to get stuck a C4 will 95% of the time I feel.

They do handle a little different. To me the C4 feels more planted in corners and drives just a little different. Not in a bad way just different. The C2 is more tossable in corners.

Dont think you you can go wrong in either situation, but do drive both.

Redhot2474 05-14-2019 05:40 PM

C4

I personally like the AWD handling , very planted

Petza914 05-15-2019 09:18 AM

I prefer the pure front end steering feel of the red cars. The AWD cars have a slightly more muted steering feel and a greater tendency toward understeer. With the rear weight bias of the engine back there over the driving wheels in a C3, they do just fine in the rain too. I'd only go AWD if it was going to be a daily with the risk of being caught in some situations worse than rain.