Sponsored by:

Muffler delete which is best

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:12 PM
neptune36
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Muffler delete which is best

2010 997.2 base. I'm ready to start some mods and will start with center muffler delete. At this point not interested in the Gundo hack. Rather want a reversible mod like the muffler delete. I've read comments about Fabspeed and Sharkwerks. I'm interested in some opinions and experience on installations and +'s and -'s. Other delete options around? thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:08 PM
Mike5070
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This may help you for an alternative to sharkwerks and fabspeed...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...st-review.html
Old 05-04-2019, 10:53 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Adding to Mike’s post about the Top Gear cat back setup, here’s (just) a center muffler delete from the same company.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-2-a.html
Old 05-04-2019, 11:05 PM
neptune36
Rennlist Member

My take away so far is Sharkwerks is a straight fitment with no issues....but standing by & reading more as they come in. Thanks all.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

A little bit of everything in the replies so far. Just know that you need to address both the side mufflers AND the center muffler to get where you want to be. Doing just the side mufflers and leaving the center muffler alone won't do it just like replacing the center muffler with any brand of x- pipes and leaving the side mufflers alone won't do it either unless you already have PSE mufflers.

Lots of options here. If you have standard mufflers and can find a set of used PSE mufflers and then add a set of Sharkwerks x-pipes you'll be happy. That's what I've got and I have a hard time seeing how it could be improved on. I have no experience with any of the other replacements of the center muffler but they're just pipes in different configurations so I can't imagine the difference could be dramatic. Also can't speak for the various hacks of the side mufflers. Have heard both good and bad but never heard anyone say it's up to par with PSE, Fabspeed or Tubi. Which should be expected since the hacks cost less than $500 and a new set of PSE around $2,500 ( does not include x-pipes to eliminate the center muffler) and a new set of Tubi $3,400..

Had the Tubi on my -09 C4S and it's a really great package. You get new side mufflers and x-pipes to get rid of the center muffler but again, it's $3,400: https://www.suncoastporsche.com/suncoast-parts.htm So you pretty much end up with the same price with PSE + Sharkwerks or a full Tubi system.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:06 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the Fister side mufflers with Sharkwerks bypass, personally it’s been the best bang for the buck option for me. Just some more info in addition to the great suggestions / combos above for you to look into
Old 05-05-2019, 09:46 AM
neptune36
Rennlist Member

All good continued education on mufflers. Thanks for the input. I looked at Fisters but hadn't considered used PSE's or new for that matter. I am into a 2 year CPO from P dealer so want to keep the mods as simple as possible in case I need to claim a fix to an adjacent part. I see some of the disassembly photos for sides but also read not so much disassembly needed if you willing to deal with a little more PIA contortions. P dealer just said they obviously would not warranty a mod but be careful of collateral issues. Probably do a phase plan as I am impatient to hear a better sound. first X pipes with Fabspeed carbon fiber quad tips, and CF intake then sides next year. also add 7mm/15mm wheel spacers. Then done ...for a little while at least.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:12 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 59 Posts

Had the SW center muffler delete put on my GTS last prior to taking delivery from the PO while it was at the shop for some other work. As a GTS, it has PSE standard and I am very pleased with all modes of operation. At highway speeds with no windows open or SR cracked, and PSE off, it is comfortable and sounds pleasantly sporty with no drone. PSE on adds a bit more tone,but not much more volume at steady throttle. Windows open, SR tilted or open adds a great bark down low and a real shreik up high. Exactly what I was hoping for. Shop said the install was painless and simple, no fitment issues. I heartily recommend the SharkWerks pipe based on my experience so far.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:19 PM
joe084S
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 3.8 4S with the factory X51 power package. the car also came with the sport exhaust but I still wanted something much louder and more aggressive. I ended up trying out the full blown muffler delete and went with a set of muffler delete pipes right off of the x pipe. It sounds amazing! its not over bearing but it has a little bit of drone around 70 mph. well maybe more than a little lol

I find myself never turning on the radio since 1 you can't hear it that well and 2 the exhaust sounds sooooo damn good.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I have been pleased with my Billy Boat center muffler delete. Full disclosure, I did the Gundo hack, too, so I don't know what it sounds like by itself. It's also significantly less expensive than the other brands.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM
m1kegibson
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I may be mistaken but I have read in various other places that the famed Gundo hack does not apply/work on the 997.2 exhaust; not sure about 997.1 either. I looked into it for my own car a couple of years back and concluded that it was not an option; possibly because of the centre muffler.

I did did get a muffler (in the UK it’s a silencer) delete fitted which was supplied/fitted by Hayward and Scott. It was a lot cheaper than Fabspeed but looks no where near as good; albeit tucked away under the rear bodywork it’s hardly on show. Not an option I guess for those in the US but I would be surprised if there weren’t such an option.

I haven’t done anything else to my stock exhaust system which is not PSE and the muffler delete definitely adds a bit of fruitiness and a little extra bark to the exhaust note. It is not loud and if that’s the goal I do believe more widescale changes are needed.

Pic attached.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:24 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,964 Likes on 2,044 Posts

I had the Sharkwerks exhaust on my car, paired with PSE which came from the factory on my 997.2 C2S. I thought it was how the car should have come from factory, but with windows up it is definitely quiet.

Not to turn this into a sales pitch, but I have my Sharkwerks for sale off my car, PM me if you are interested. Had it on my car for 2k miles before I sold it.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:49 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 84 Posts

I also have a 2010 997.2 base. Currently I’m running the Sharkwerks center bypass with Fister side exhausts (same as the Gundo hack I believe, but you do a core exchange rather than modding your own mufflers). The combination is just about perfect. Quiet and stock sounding a low RPM, respectably loud and exotic sounding when you get on it. No drone at highway speed. Great bag for the buck in my opinion.

I did the Sharkwerks bypass first. Alone I found that it was not a big enough difference from stock. Only noticeable a WOT with the windows down and/or sunroof open. The Fisters were necessary to get any real volume.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

What I have read in many posts is that Gundo plus X-pipes in a 997.2 gives roughly same sound as 997.1 with Gundo. Many don't think Gundo is enough on. 997.2

997.2 is more quiet than 997.1 (from what I have read)

Or go for a full system. I notice there is quite different pitch of the noise from different systems. Some definitely sound more sophisticated than others. Just find some clips on YouTube and see. Or find someone in the local community.

Personally I like a system which doesn't make the neighbours crazy but still sound fabulous when pushing the car and opening the throttle.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How involved is hooking up the PSE muffler valves to dash controls? Anyone running mufflers in a valve set position without controls?

Quick Reply: Muffler delete which is best