Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE Install - To Button or Not to Button?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:15 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts
Default PSE Install - To Button or Not to Button?

Leaning towards installing PSE on my 997.2. Cost is extra $1500 for the on/off console button.

For those that have installed PSE, anyone go forward without the button? Is it obnoxiously loud all the time?

I really want the sound. I am pretty certain based on what I have heard, that I would likely always have the button on. So it makes sense to just forgo and not have to turn on, or drop an extra $1500.

Minor concern is that in them installing the wiring etc that somehow I would be left with squeaks or rattles inside?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:29 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

The original owner of my car bought new from P and paid $122 k and got everything BUT PSE. Figure that out if you can.

I added it after i bought the car in 2016 because I thought it was an option it should’ve had. Two thoughts for you......

- Why bother at all adding PSE? There are a number of aftermarket exhausts that sound better than the lame PSE and you’re going to leave it on all the time anyway.

- If your heart is set on PSE put the button in and do the job right. For cosmetic and resale explanations if nothing else.

With hindsight I would’ve gone aftermarket and skipped the $2,000 ‘ish PSE refit. Not worth the money unless added as an option new.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:50 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I put a on/off button in my ashtray, direct wire to the fuse box, for complete control of the exhaust, bypassing the car control.
works well, no problem. Test your solenoid with a 9 volt battery for on off of Sport exhaust.
I did it to both my 06S and my 09S!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I added PSE on my '16 Cayenne Turbo. I would add the button for two reasons. First, as "mike cap" says, it will help resale. You own a Porsche, don't skimp on the the upgrades.

Next, you could get along with exhaust without turning it off, I think mine sounds like stock until you place it in Sport or Sport Plus. But there might be a time you'd just want to turn it off, especially when you have someone riding with you that isn't as ecstatic about sports cars as you or you want to be considerate to your neighbors.

If you wanted to have saved money, you should have bought aftermarket.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:25 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Save the 1500, it sounds good all the time. Plenty of aftermarket if want to spend less, but make sure you hear them first so not too loud for you.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:52 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

I won't get into all the details but only looking at stock PSE. I understand it might not be the best option, but it is the one I have decided on. I might add the Fabspeed X Pipe, but exhaust system will be PSE.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:30 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
I won't get into all the details but only looking at stock PSE. I understand it might not be the best option, but it is the one I have decided on. I might add the Fabspeed X Pipe, but exhaust system will be PSE.
If you’re so hung up on the OEM route then spend the money and do it right with the console button. If I was buying a car with PSE and the owner told me he was too frugal to install the switch mechanism I’d think it quite odd and make me wonder about the car.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by mike cap
If you’re so hung up on the OEM route then spend the money and do it right with the console button. If I was buying a car with PSE and the owner told me he was too frugal to install the switch mechanism I’d think it quite odd and make me wonder about the car.
good pt. Actually considering not installing it because I truly dont see ever not having it on. So why? But then this is a good pt I guess as well. Do it right and no flags I guess down the road for other owners.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:06 AM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Does anyone know if the PSE on the 997 closes the valves at certain rpm ranges even when active to reduce drone? I know some of the newer models of 911 do this. If that is the case, I’d suggest leaving the system disconnected for the full open effect.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:53 AM
winnibago
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Don’t bother with button..

Nic, I’d vote to not bother with the button. I went with PSE on my 997.2 for the sake of keeping the aesthetic as close to OEM as possible and contemplated installing the button in the console as well but ultimately decided it wasn’t worth it. Full disclosure, I also added a center muffler bypass at time of PSE upgrade. That said, it’s always in “loud-mode”. But even as such, I can tell you that the PSE exhaust is still quite docile sounding compared to other aftermarket options. The cold-start is a bit loud for about 30secs, but levels out to an acceptable (docile) note at idle. Definitely get yourself a center muffler bypass - otherwise, you won’t notice much of a difference between regular or PSE.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need some visual / audio examples.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
Leaning towards installing PSE on my 997.2. Cost is extra $1500 for the on/off console button.

For those that have installed PSE, anyone go forward without the button? Is it obnoxiously loud all the time?

I really want the sound. I am pretty certain based on what I have heard, that I would likely always have the button on. So it makes sense to just forgo and not have to turn on, or drop an extra $1500.

Minor concern is that in them installing the wiring etc that somehow I would be left with squeaks or rattles inside?
First off, $1,500 for the button isn't right. The cost of the whole system is $2,550 at Suncoast which includes the button: https://www.suncoastporsche.com/suncoast-parts.htm .

Subjective topic but if you look for better exhaust sound you're wasting your money unless you're getting rid of the center muffler too. The PSE with the center muffler left in place won't make much difference. I have the Sharkwerks pipes and the sound is killer along with the PSE mufflers https://www.sharkwerks.com/c_exhaust-f_carrera_g_997-2 Not disturbingly loud at all until you get past 4,000 rpm and even then, it's not past the point that I think it would bother anyone. Just right. There are several other options on the center muffler delete, all of them $1,100 and below.

Please don't spend all that money on the PSE unless you're ready to address the center muffler too. It's heavy, very restrictive in terms of sound and will reduce the money and the result you expected from what you invested in the PSE . Just my opinion. I think you'll be well advised to ask for other's before deciding where you want to go.

Just read through the Suncoast page again. It's a bit ambiguous as to whether or not it makes a difference if you have sports chrono or not. May have to call to clear up.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:33 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

I definitely think I am leaning towards the Fabspeed x pipe delete with the PSE. Reading these last comments seem to echo that this would be the best decision. Thanks for the feedback.

ps Winnebago I sent you a PM as well.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:25 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Maybe I am not reading closely enough, but if you are considering having it on all the time, why would you not just get the Fister Mufflers and save your old cans??
Old 05-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2 cents....

First thing I do after starting the car is to put it in loud mode. I wish there was a way to have it default to loud. Even in the PSE mode it's not obnoxious so I wouldn't worry about pissing off neighbors unless you intend to floor it in residential neighborhoods.

So, if I had to pay an extra $1500 for a button I would skip it.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:33 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
my 2 cents....

First thing I do after starting the car is to put it in loud mode. I wish there was a way to have it default to loud. Even in the PSE mode it's not obnoxious so I wouldn't worry about pissing off neighbors unless you intend to floor it in residential neighborhoods.

So, if I had to pay an extra $1500 for a button I would skip it.
That is what I was thinking..until people mentioned the fact it might look bad for next buyer that I cheaped out and didn't put the button in LOL..but really its not the main factor, it really is what you said in that I don't think I ever would want it off! And as others also mentioned, maybe you shouldn't do stuff to the car always with the next buyer in mind, as this car I will have for awhile and maybe should just do what I want, not worrying about resale down the road.

Quick Reply: PSE Install - To Button or Not to Button?