Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 997.2 GTS Engine Ticking Noise on Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

You can take the serpentine belt off to see if the noise goes away, but if not, you have to rule out bore scoring.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:08 AM
lou-in-nj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take your oil filler cap off and see if it puffs. If you sense puffing, especially timed to the sound, it's likely a bad seal around a piston.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Deleted 07.07.2020
7th Gear

Really appreciate the advice.

Last edited by Deleted 07.07.2020; 07-07-2020 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:17 AM
lou-in-nj
Intermediate

If the oil filler puffs, you can save your money on the bore scoping...you'll need the cash to rebuild the engine.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:26 AM
lou-in-nj
Intermediate

The other thing is, if it is bore scoring, you could just live with it for a while; increase your oil change frequency...you can't really make anything that much worse.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Speculating on the percentage of 997s that might have suffered, or might suffer bore scoring is a frequent topic on Rennlist and a question that there is no real answer. It well may be a very low number. That said, I believe that a disproportionate percentage of 997s *for sale* are likely to have this problem. These cars run great throughout any development of scoring despite with some seemingly minor annoyances. When this problem is discovered, the shock of the financial hit is pretty great -- I know from personal experience. Therefore, I think that many owners, discovering that they might, or do have scoring, simply dump their car on the market, either by trading it in somewhere that does not check the bores, or by selling it direct to a consumer. I know when my car was so diagnosed, several people strongly recommended that I take this sort of action. But God has rules.

I believe there is a *far higher* percentage of bore-scored 997s *for sale* at this point than the percentage of cars that might score or have scored will ever be. Caveat Emptor!

However, there is life after death. My car after its rebuild has a far more reliable engine with many, many added miles to its life, and it is a real joy to drive every day. Like anything else, the longer you keep something, the lower the real amortized cost is. Also, I cannot have IMS failure. I probably won't need a new clutch for another 100,000 miles. My AOS is brand new. My water pump is brand new. My coolant tank is brand new. The car starts easily, even when it is hot. I have more power and more torque than when brand new. My chain tensioner is superior to OEM and my chains and chain guides are brand new. The nikasil bores are nearly bulletproof. Etc., Etc. Most of these other issues are expensive routine maintenance in higher mileage (i.e., used) cars that will have to be done eventually, anyway. A significant percentage of the cost of rebuilding the engine can easily be justified as "prepaid" major maintenance. And at that point, you are essentially starting with a new car.

Last edited by JustinCase; 05-03-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:55 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

When I read the thread title I figured this was just hysteria after Bronz's car and it was likely chain tensioners or something simple. Having two 997.2 with scoring in two months seems highly improbable. (And I thought Jake's bedside manner was a little rough. Sorry Jake :-).

But yuk, that does not sounds good. Tensioners are more of a brief clatter at startup. This is rhythmic. I was next to an old Boxster the other day at a stop light that sounded like that. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy.

Has it also been burning a lot of oil, or have you not had it long enough to notice?

If this does turn out to be bore scoring, you need to have some words with whomever you bought it from. I would get an oil analysis. The prior owner might have tried putting thicker oil in it to reduce the noise before selling it. The pros on here can tell you if that works but I suspect it might. If it does have thicker weight you have proof they tried to hide it from you.

Stay positive and attack the problem. Lets hope for the best.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LewisSuth
Really appreciate the advice. I'm going to use a bore scope early next week to see if there's any signs of scoring. Can't believe my luck, only done around 1500 miles in the car since purchasing it.
Thats a pretty loud noise, so it could be bad luck, or the previous owner or seller may have added something to the oil to quiet it way down before selling it. Sorry to say, a lot of folks might do something like this.

If the oil in your engine hasn’t been changed yet, perhaps there’s a way to find out if anything had been added? Would an oil sample reveal that?
Old 05-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisSuth
Really appreciate the advice. I'm going to use a bore scope early next week to see if there's any signs of scoring. Can't believe my luck, only done around 1500 miles in the car since purchasing it.

Hopefully its not anything too bad.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Listening closely to your video, to me it sounds like a belt slap
Old 05-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

My new to me C4S sounds the same. To me it sounds like the belt...but I’m no expert.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:39 PM
mercman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

does it make this sound when it's warmed up?

If it helps, my 997.2 makes a ticking noise from the lower passenger side at idle (different than the DI injector pulsing noise), goes away once the engine has a little heat in it. Checked my neighbors 997.2 (same year), also does this. I'll assume its a lifter noise, but not an expert. My 993 3.6 engine did the very same thing, assumed it was the hydraulic lifters.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mercman
does it make this sound when it's warmed up?

If it helps, my 997.2 makes a ticking noise from the lower passenger side at idle (different than the DI injector pulsing noise), goes away once the engine has a little heat in it. Checked my neighbors 997.2 (same year), also does this. I'll assume its a lifter noise, but not an expert. My 993 3.6 engine did the very same thing, assumed it was the hydraulic lifters.
Do you idle your car to warm it up or drive off right away?
Old 05-05-2019, 07:27 PM
mercman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

always let it idle first.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mercman
always let it idle first.
So that might be why. I would try driving off immediately, yet slowly and moderately, keeping revs between 2,000-3,000 during warmup and not using more than 10% throttle (drive like a grandma). Then report back if it knocking when you are driving it.

My car knocks if I let it idle. I suspect the knocking is mostly likely the piston hitting the bore and lack of lubrication at very low engine speeds where oil flow is also very low. It could also be catalytic converters or mufflers, but the manual says to drive immediately, and I think there’s good reason for that.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997.2 GTS Engine Ticking Noise on Idle