Sponsored by:

Worn Tires - Replace for Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 11:45 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Worn Tires - Replace for Sale?

Just curious, do worn tires turn off prospective P car buyers like they do on run of the mill used cars? Or do P car buyers prefer to buy at a lower price and put on new there own tire of choice?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

I care much more about the condition of the car than the tires which can be replaced very easily. When I got my 07 C2S Cab, the fronts were dated from 2008 even though the tread was good. Still bought the car and replaced the tires on the spot. As long as the car is in great shape, I don’t care about the easily replaceable tires.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 859 Posts

IMO... Never... not an issue. Sounds like my friend's wife who changed faucets in the powder rooms... as if that is going to drive the sale of their home. Waste of money. No one expects good tires... they are what they are.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-12-2019, 12:15 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Can't fully price in new tire cost if selling, but it is a positive for some buyers I'm sure. I looked at a car I really liked with new front Hankooks and half worn rears. Since i prefer different tires, I'd have preferred buying with old tires. If it had new MP4Ss it would have been worth a bit more to me, not that I can out drive either brand of tires.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
Can't fully price in new tire cost if selling, but it is a positive for some buyers I'm sure. I looked at a car I really liked with new front Hankooks and half worn rears. Since i prefer different tires, I'd have preferred buying with old tires. If it had new MP4Ss it would have been worth a bit more to me, not that I can out drive either brand of tires.
Agree. I would leave them and let the owner decide. I don't see any upside to putting new tires on it.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:01 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I care much more about the condition of the car than the tires which can be replaced very easily. When I got my 07 C2S Cab, the fronts were dated from 2008 even though the tread was good. Still bought the car and replaced the tires on the spot. As long as the car is in great shape, I don’t care about the easily replaceable tires.
I agree, and had a similar situation come up just recently when I bought my '07 C2S. The tires had good tread life, but were old. The fronts are over 5 years old and are showing signs of dry rot. I just needed them to get me back to Denver from Dallas, which they did. I used the cracked coil packs from the PPI as my bargaining chip on the sale price of the car, but the old tires didn't really factor into what I thought of the car overall or the purchase price.

I'm on my way to Discount Tire this afternoon to put on a set of Michelin PS4S's
Old 04-12-2019, 01:17 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I think it depends on what is on the car. My car came with 4 brand new Michelin PS's. To me, that was a consideration as i calculated it saved me a couple thousand (had an alignment too). If they were a lower quality brand, I would probably feel the way you folks do and just expect to replace them (and ask for a lower sale price).
Old 04-12-2019, 01:19 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Worn tires I have no issues with along with everyone else to a point. If they are mismatched that is a huge concern. The thought that went through my mind when I was looking for my car and saw one that had mismatched tires was “what else did you cut corners on in maintaining the car?”.

If the tires are really old and worn the only question I have in my mind is why did you let them expire or let the cords of the tire show. If they have not timed out and cords are not showing I have zero concerns with worn tires.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Within reason, it doesn't matter to me, but as mentioned, if someone lets them run to the cords or they're mismatched I'd probably question the level of care in its maintenance.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:44 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

My fronts were at 4/32 and 7/32 no idea how or why but I replaced both for the new owner knowing he had a 200 mile drive home. Bad idea in a way - cost me $660.

Might have helped or assured the sale.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:58 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I was thinking about my car and came to the conclusion that I would put on new rubber of the buyer's choice.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Just curious, do worn tires turn off prospective P car buyers like they do on run of the mill used cars? Or do P car buyers prefer to buy at a lower price and put on new there own tire of choice?
FWIW....I paid for a Porsche dealership PPI for my GTS which was for sale but no longer is. The only negative remark on the PPI was worn tires. This PPI was sent to every buyer who expressed interest in my car and those worn tires were not mentioned once by any of the interested parties. A lot of other questions but none about the tires.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Don't replace the tires. Many are going to have their own preference. For me, if someone put on a tire other than Michelin, I would be just waiting to get rid of them so I could get a set of PS2's or PS4S.

Quick Reply: Worn Tires - Replace for Sale?